[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

At the end of the day,

Casey ain’t Demko. 

Can the team still win? 

That’s the worry and question. 

Everything else is just nonsense. 

The Boys will answer this question tomorrow.

So, let’s forget about it. 

Just support the team the best ‘we‘ can. 

What will be, will be. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

PDG was completely invisible last night.  Worst player on the ice.  How you can say Petey was worse is beyond me.  Mistakes happen in hockey.  37 blocked shots are what won Nashville the game.  Again, -3 is a team stat.  Garland, Lindholm and Joshua were all -2.  But I thought that line had a good game.  Just unfortunate they got scored upon.

Again, many bad passes last night.  One indirectly led to a goal.  If Petey doesn't miss the open net then nobody is shitting on him.  Hockey is a game of inches...

Yes +/- is a team stat, but when you're 1 of only 2 players on the entire team with a negative, and the worst one at that with a -4, it backs up the other stats that go along with it.  We're not looking at one stat here.  We're looking at several, and they all paint the same picture.  You can't just ignore all of that.

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

40 is no 99

Its a very different game now so its hard to compare players across generations.  A lot of Gretzky's goals back in the day would be routine saves for current goalies. The size and skill of the players these days is just so far ahead of the NHL in the 80s and 90s.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol I wonder when they'll get rid of that stat. Even couch potatoes like us know it's useless. 😂

It is useless by itself, but it definitely provides value in assessing how a player is doing if every single player on the team is a 0 or +ve and you have the worst +/- of -4 on the entire team.

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol I wonder when they'll get rid of that stat. Even couch potatoes like us know it's useless. 😂

A team's goal differential is way more informative than an individuals +/- (apart from extremes maybe)

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It is useless by itself, but it definitely provides value in assessing how a player is doing if every single player on the team is a 0 or +ve and you have the worst +/- of -4 on the entire team.

4 minutes ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

A team's goal differential is way more informative than an individuals +/- (apart from extremes maybe)

There's a reason why consistent Selke candidates have good +-s 

It's not a fluke

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

There's a reason why consistent Selke candidates have good +-s 

It's not a fluke

Its not useless, but needs a lot of context (say if someone is a +25 on a team with a differential of -160; or someone who scores 50 goals but is a -30)

Edited by CanuckDownUnder
typo

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Yes for sure. 

It seems to me going back to the Joshua, Bluegar, Garland trio where on many nights getting hailed as our best line, that something went a little sideways with our 1st 2 lines. 

Wasn't that around the same time our pp went Mia?

It seems at times with our great puck pressure and good possession numbers that we are icing 3 really good 3rd lines and a fourth. 

Creativity and talent seem to have gone astray.  

Agree......and if you want to be more precise, things really went off the rails right when they got rid of Kuzmenko before around the All Star break,   He might have only been on a 30 goal trajectory this year - rather than an expected 40-45 like last year - due to being forced to meet Tock-it's "one size fits all" coaching philosophy, but that was the exact moment everything changed for this team and especially affected the PP and Petty's line and output dramatically. 

EP40 has never recovered since then, being stuck playing with that inefective, overpriced deadbeat - Mikayev and whoever else is leftover to throw onto his line and our PP1 has become anemic even after they tried everone but the plumber on that line to shake it up since Kuz left.  No one they've tried on PP1 has replaced his passing, creativity and offensive I.Q. to date.  Hope they eventually find someone because special teams make all the difference.

I have faith in Petey. He's a hard worker and demands a lot of himself. In fact, he's often his own toughest critic and this may be a time where giving himself some grace might help him bump his slump. 

At the same time, those that are blindly defending his play are out to lunch

+- may not paint the entire picture but it does reveal alot. A strong defensive player sometimes makes up for a d man or linemates mistakes when they aren't able to get the puck out of the zone by winning a board battle, regaining possession and getting the puck out. Sometimes they make a strong play by covering the slot or an exposed area. Petey is actually really good at this. Why he has a - is that his board play hasn't been as strong and an example like last game where his turnover led directly to a goal. 

You can't ignore those facts. 

It also doesnt help that Hogz has all of a sudden stopped winning puck battles too... 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Consistent Selke candidates are players that play on good teams with good overall +/-.  How many players have won the Selke playing on a lousy team?

I would say this is a very good, deep team so having a minus would not be a good thing

29 minutes ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

Its a very different game now so its hard to compare players across generations.  A lot of Gretzky's goals back in the day would be routine saves for current goalies. The size and skill of the players these days is just so far ahead of the NHL in the 80s and 90s.

Maybe so, but we had cheaper beer & tickets prices, better line brawls and fights in the stands and the best piss trough's this side of the rockies at the old coliseum.  BEAT THAT - you Millenial pussy cats! 😜

Edited by RU SERIOUS
typo
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, 43isprime said:
If he was injured, why did he play in Winnipeg?

So that Brock and JT could have the night off. Tocchet said that Brock is dealing with something, JT hasnt looked great so far this playoff, maybe he was dealing with the flu, and maybe that's Petey's problem, I dont know, but what we saw last night was for the most part not Petey. The Petey hate has gotta stop, he's ours for another eight years, so get on board to urge him on, and stop tearing him down. I hate the internet, a bunch of know-nothing ankle skaters tearing down a 25-year-old kid who is doing his best, and who very seasoned NHL executives were willing to pay top dollar to keep him here.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2