[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

15 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

If we are going by number of hits, I'd say Miller with 217 hits this season would be the more physical player compared to Pettersson, who had, as you pointed out, 125.

When you say Pettersson had 3 hits while Miller "only" had 2... you realize 3 is only one more than 2, right?

Also, in Game 1, Miller had 4 hits compared to "only" 2 for Pettersson.

I was comparing Petey to Garland, that was the conversation I was having with another poster, so why did you bother to interject other than to shit on Petey one more time?

The last line you highlighted was an observation of the last game and to counter the post that Petey falls down all the time and isn't very physical...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

I don't know why we have to compare our players and pit them against each other.

Petey's in a funk, there is NO denying that. Yes, he does still contribute but not how we need him to. Miller contributes as we need him to most games. It's no secret we likely wouldn't be IN the playoffs without him. 

But when Petey's on, he's our best and we shouldn't give up on him. Whatever is throwing him off won't last forever and we should just get behind him. 

I mean, last year people were ready to toss Miller....we need to learn to exercise some patience with players who are worth it. Petey's worth it.

How many playoff series have we seen the stars on each side cancel each other out and the depth make the difference? I’d honestly say it’s over 2/3z. During his funk he has been pretty responsible for the most part but last game he made a few big mistakes and because he is the highest paid player in franchise history and he hasn’t dominated a game in a while, it is magnified. 

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I was comparing Petey to Garland, that was the conversation I was having with another poster, so why did you bother to interject other than to shit on Petey one more time?

The last line you highlighted was an observation of the last game and to counter the post that Petey falls down all the time and isn't very physical...

I point out facts about Pettersson, which you consider sh****** on because you live in this alternate reality where Pettersson is a multiple 100-pt center, a 100-pt Selke finalist, and whose reverse hits are becoming legendary.

But when you say "the Italian guy should sit in the press box and eat some pizza" - what exactly is that? That's not sh****** on a player? Why even bring up the Italian thing and the pizza? Why not just call him by his actual name?

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey was a +20 during the regular season.  So what exactly is your argument?  That he is not Selke worthy because of 2 playoff games?

No 

Im saying he hasn't had a good 2 playoff games. 

Thats just fact. No need to get your panties in a twist. 

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

I don't know why we have to compare our players and pit them against each other.

Petey's in a funk, there is NO denying that. Yes, he does still contribute but not how we need him to. Miller contributes as we need him to most games. It's no secret we likely wouldn't be IN the playoffs without him. 

But when Petey's on, he's our best and we shouldn't give up on him. Whatever is throwing him off won't last forever and we should just get behind him. 

I mean, last year people were ready to toss Miller....we need to learn to exercise some patience with players who are worth it. Petey's worth it.

It's a team game and good teams have players who can step up and fill in these gaps when their best are struggling (or out/injured). 

Agree re Petey. He has said in the past that he wants to be a difference maker and that he is his own worst critic. I have a theory that the pressure he feels to live up to the contract is messing with him. I don't question his effort or motivation to win. He'll find it.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:
I am in fact (in general), but one thing you learn in life as you get older is that as a manager, coach, teacher etc....that you have to make some exceptions in some situations because not everyone is created equal and can meet "the bar" precisely that's set but that doesn't mean you throw the baby out with the bathwater either which is what happened in Kuz's situation.
Kuz definately had problems adapting to Rick's defined guidelines and defensive expecations and struggled under Tockit but his upside and intangibles he brought to the PP, Petty's line and the team were invaluable IMO and it was too bad RT couldn't let a free spirited/creative player like him to be cut some slack and allowed to "do his thing" instead of being "boxed" into a system he clearly was either not comfortable or unable to adjust too.   Not saying that what Tock-it has done is bad - just saying that his system is not for everyone and not the "Be-all / End-all".

As much as I liked Kuzmenko, great character, he was a distraction. Tocchet's philosophy is defense first, and being predictable for your teammates in the D-Zone, and Kuz was not. I swear, at the start of the season Tocchet had long flowing locks, and because of Kuz he pulled them out. Kuz did well in Calgary for the most part because they were out of the playoffs and playing pond hockey. The Canucks under Bruce's system showed last year you can't win in the NHL playing pond hockey, everybody who is any good plays some kind of shutdown defensive system. Kuz would not or could not comply, and so management had to move on. Lindholm was great in game 1. He will be a difference maker before this series is over. And Petey's problems are not because Kuz got traded, Kuz was playing a lot of 4th line minutes and pressbox, and Petey was fine. Petey needs an ace winger, and Hogs has been just as bad as Petey. They need to shake it off on the road and get back to winning wall battles, going hard to the net, and getty greasy goals. Again, there was/is something physically wrong with Petey. He looked better at the end of the year, so hopefully this is just a touch of flu that he can shake off by Friday.

Edited by Canuckleheads Fan

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Every team in the NHL would be lining up if the Canucks decided to trade Petey.  Every team...

Well that's good news. 

Gives the Canucks an out in case Petey pulls a Cougar and loses the edge. 

Obviously I hope Petey comes back big this playoffs but if he flops, there should probably be more thought about his future and tying up 11.6 starting next year... 

2 hours ago, Darius said:

i saw a stat earlier today that his 5v5 save percentage was close to Demko's 5v5 this year.  Where he has trouble is the PK and this brings his overall to sub .900 this year (im thinking that game vs the wild where they scored a bunch on the PP affected the numbers a lot).  I too am a little concerned but if he can get on a roll and some solid d in front of him he should be ok in this series at least.

Edit: found the twitter post...

I hope the Canucks staff points this stat out to their players, because it's a big one.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Every team in the NHL would be lining up if the Canucks decided to trade Petey.  Every team...

Well that's good news. 

Obviously I hope Petey comes back big this playoffs but if he flops, there should probably be more thought about his future and tying up 11.6 starting next year... 

16 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Thank you ... I should have used the My Huckleberry filter feature in the first place. 😅

lol, my apologies for upsetting your delicate sensibilities Mr. Blunt. I should have said it's absolutely pathetic to make such statements publicly. The tweeter is perhaps not a completely useless human being as I initially purported (here on a fan forum 😶‍🌫️) , but they are shallow as hell that's for sure.

Some of don't have thousands of dollars to blow going to a playoff hockey game in the first place. Secondly, we wouldn't turn around and complain about our precious $700 and our frivolous expectations for it to the world. Just sell it if you don't want it and shut up. Thirdly and probably most important, we wouldn't completely sell our team out 3 games into a 1-1 series for such petty and self absorbed reasoning. Talk about someone you wouldn't want to lean on in any type of adversity whatsoever. Strikes me as the type of person who wouldn't bother to lift a finger to help someone in dire need.

Like sell your ticket if you want chump (not talking about you), but the reasoning behind it and lack of fortitude is stupendously amazing. It's hard to be a more shallow human being at a causal glance, and then to go ahead and advertise it at the same time. I felt obliged to comment and call out pure aholeness when I see it.

17 hours ago, Heretic said:

How many of those shutouts, were 1-0 games?   Which is what I was replying too.   Well aware of NJ and Broduer, watched most of those series.    Don't even re-call Roy winning any playoff games  1-0, Luongo doing that for us in the cup final, as well his Turco heroics in another series (which we won) and the team infront of him could barely manage 1.5 goals a game. 

As for this fan leaving the bandwagon so soon,  hope he misses something epic.   Good riddance. 

Edited by IBatch

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Well that's good news. 

That's definitely not happening.   The team committed a ton of time creating a team he should be happy about,  and won't give up on him easily. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

For the poster above,,  i am not sure how you can say that trading kuz has not affected petey..  he may indeed have an injury we are not aware of, or perhaps he has lost a bit of confidence.  We will not know this for sure until the end of the season..  the one certain is that kuz played with petey on and off for over a year and to lose a creative talented winger isnt easy..  have you ever played?  Do you know what its like to have to adjust to different less skilled wingers?   It isnt easy.   My main concern is tochetts teams in arizona were low scoring..  perhaps skill and talent had something to do with that, i get it.. this team was exceptionally high scoring and now over the last 40 or 50 games is one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.  That to me is concerning..  i hope they find a balance between “the system” and a more aggressive offensive style of play.  I realize the system under bruce was not sustainable but it was sure fun to watch..  i love this team and things are never perfect but it seems a little tweek here and there may be needed.  Go NUCKS!! 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's definitely not happening.   The team committed a ton of time creating a team he should be happy about,  and won't give up on him easily. 

Yeah I hope it doesn't happen. 

Best thing for us is for Petey to play like a 12m player

9 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

At which point? 

Come on man, it’s ok to be on Millsy’s side. The guy is everything Canucks fans wanted. 

Kesler heavy. The guy is rock solid, game in game out.

What’s the issue? 

I wasn’t a fan before admittedly, but I’m fully behind Miller. He’s such a great player and leader. 

What’s your issue with him at this moment in time? 

Did you miss the part where I said he was a great player?

9 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

At which point? 

Come on man, it’s ok to be on Millsy’s side. The guy is everything Canucks fans wanted. 

Kesler heavy. The guy is rock solid, game in game out.

What’s the issue? 

I wasn’t a fan before admittedly, but I’m fully behind Miller. He’s such a great player and leader. 

What’s your issue with him at this moment in time? 

And if you recall, the main reason I thought dealing him was a good move was because his age didn't fit the timeline all that well because as they hit their true contending window, he would be aging and declining and getting assests that would be hitting their prime during that window fit the timeline better would be a good move......considering I think they're probably three years from being true contenders, I stand by that.

No one has ever said he's not a great player, so trying to fix the narrative to fit your own skewed version of events is disingenuous, at best.

Edited by stawns

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

And if you recall, the main reason I thought dealing him was a good move was because his age didn't fit the timeline all that well because as they hit their true contending window, he would be aging and declining and getting assests that would be hitting their prime during that window fit the timeline better would be a good move......considering I think they're probably three years from being true contenders, I stand by that.

No one has ever said he's not a great player, so trying to fix the narrative to fit your own skewed version of events is disingenuous, at best.

Lol 3 years from being a contender when they are division champs and a top 5 team in the league and separated from first place by 5 pts... 

Oh wells, I guess they can only go for it when they are presidents champs. That seems to go really well for all the past cup winners.