[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

15 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

If the NHL allows teams to destroy cars / hockey gear or with opposing team logos it won't end well.

it's been going on for years and everything seems to be just fine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Your post makes no sense. 

You say in 3 years Petey and Hughes might "possibly be at their very best" which is an unknown. 

You say "if" Miller is scoring 80-90 pts, he might be a better trade value. 

You talk about the OEL cap hit and the upcoming raises required for Hronek, Joshua, Zadorov. You also acknowledge Petey's new cap hit next year. You forget that Quinn will probably be the highest paid D man after 3 seasons. 

Right now, Canucks are a top 5 team in the league and division champs. 

Right now Miller is scoring 103 pts (not 80-90)

Right now Hughes leads all d men in pts. 

Demko is 28 and one of the top goalies in the league at a bargain contract and has 2 more seasons left at that price. 

Petey (as much as we harp on him) scored 89 pts while making 7.35m this year

Boeser just hit a career year and has 1 year left on his contract. 

This is all before new big contracts kick in and we're forced to lose some players. 

I'm not gloom and doom to say our window is only open now and will close in 2-3 years. Our management has done an amazing job with guys like Podz, Hogz, Lekkermaki, Willander ready to come in through the system and take big roles but to say our true contending timeline is 3 years away is just stupid. 

Are we waiting for all the stars to align perfectly? Will that be our 1 shot at our cup? 

Like how much more perfect does it need to get? 

What if I told you in 3 years, Miller is an 80 pt player. 

Petey stays a 90 pt player while making 11.6m

Hughes is a 90 pt player on his final year before UFA with multiple Norris trophies under his belt and will become the highest paid d man in the league. 

We let Myers go and Z is now making 4.5m

DJ is making 3.25m and playing as he is now

Hronek is making 7.5m and playing the same

We lost Boeser and replaced him with Lekkermaki who is learning the ropes and putting up 50 pts

We lost Garland to UFA 

Podz is comfortable in a 3rd line role putting up 40 pts. 

We let Lindholm go this summer

Willander is playing steady bottom pairing and learning the ropes

Does that sound like a contender? 

It could be if we made other trades to bolster the lineup but that's my point. It's still a big UNKNOWN. 

Like how is that situation better than the current situation (before Demko got injured) 

It really isn't and to kick the can down the road for an unknown is beyond stupid. 

It's like folding AK suited and hoping you'll get dealt pocket Aces in 3 years. 

Holy geez, your reading and comprehension just suck. My post makes perfect sense. Let me explain again.

In three years Petey will be 28, and Hughes will be 27. Prime age. It's entirely possible and extremely likely they will be better than they are now. I'm sure everyone in hockey hopes and assumes the same thing as this is what happens with these types of players. Pretty damn simple man. Do you understand?

I never said anything at all about trading Miller. Reading comp again. I said if he is not getting 80-90 points, then the "hypothetical" assets (alluded to in Stawns original post) we would have traded for Miller may be better value in 3 years then a declining Miller. Pretty simple and entirely possible. You understand?

I explained we have a bunch of increased expenditures in the next 2 years, which you agreed with. In three years when Quinn is up we only have 3 players under contract. The cap will also increase. It's pretty much a forgone conclusion our cap space can and should be in better shape at that point. At the very least we'll have $2.6 less on the OEL penalty, Poolman gone, Mik gone, other contracts gone, plus the cap increase. Pretty simple yet again. Understand?

I never once said anything about the players we have so I'm not sure what that stanza was about. Yes we have a pretty damn good team right now. However, if we bow out due to poor play/goaltending or whatever this season, and struggle due to cap problems the next two, It's quite possible it actually turns out in reality that our true contention window is the strongest in 3 years. Do you understand?

Why does it have to be a fight to understand concepts with you?

It's pretty simple man. Maybe this year is the best this team does, maybe the next two years are good, maybe they're not, maybe the third year from now is best and maybe it's not. Like are you actually hoping that if we lose to Nashville that we do worse in 3 years just so you're right?

Point is they are all ideas and opinions. His are valid and reasonable as are yours. Just because it's not your idea doesn't mean everyone else is an idiot and wrong. Its pretty insulting to call him an idiot for a simple viewpoint, especially one which holds perfect validity and possibility. You should try to be understanding of people instead of just blindly lashing out because maybe you disagreed with them in the past. This isn't some outlandish idea he has put forth. You could make a case for just about every NHL team either keeping their vets or planning for brighter days in the future ... and all of them would be possible and the results unknown.

On the last part no that doesn't really sound like a contender. I would be adding some serious impact players to that team and of course hope our prospects also make an impact (plus assets from trades making impacts). No one ever said it's a guarantee the team would be better, just that it's a possibility, and one he happens to believe in. Not sure what there is to get angry about there. It doesn't feel like you read and understood that I am on board and support the very same plan you currently are. I just understand other ideas as well is all.

Edited by Gawdzukes

“I've been wanting to do too much instead of just staying (with) and playing my game,” Pettersson told Sportsnet in a candid one-on-one interview after Thursday’s practice in Nashville. “Of course, play hard and use the adrenaline, but I've definitely been trying to do too much instead of playing my game and letting the game come to you.

“I thought I was going to score my first or second shift the first game, and it was like, 'Oh my god, I almost scored.’ (Nashville goalie Juuse) Saros made a good save with his toe. I just want it so bad. I'm probably being too honest. But, I mean, I'm not going to shy away from anything. I haven't been that good these first two games, but. . . I can only look forward.”

The Canucks have been outshot 12-4 and outscored 3-0 with Pettersson on the ice at five-on-five. His expected-goals-for of 32.5 per cent puts him ahead of only linemate Ilya Mikheyev, and about 40 points below the possession-quality metric of other top Vancouver forwards Brock Boeser, J.T. Miller, Elias Lindholm and Conor Garland.

Pettersson said these first two games were unlike anything he has experienced.

“Yeah, it is,” he said. “It's probably my first real playoff with all this atmosphere. I've just been so fired up. But maybe I've come away a little bit from what makes me good. I mean, adrenaline is good. . . but with adrenaline maybe I try to play too hard or make things too hard instead of just playing the game and letting the game come to you.”

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

“I've been wanting to do too much instead of just staying (with) and playing my game,” Pettersson told Sportsnet in a candid one-on-one interview after Thursday’s practice in Nashville. “Of course, play hard and use the adrenaline, but I've definitely been trying to do too much instead of playing my game and letting the game come to you.

“I thought I was going to score my first or second shift the first game, and it was like, 'Oh my god, I almost scored.’ (Nashville goalie Juuse) Saros made a good save with his toe. I just want it so bad. I'm probably being too honest. But, I mean, I'm not going to shy away from anything. I haven't been that good these first two games, but. . . I can only look forward.”

The Canucks have been outshot 12-4 and outscored 3-0 with Pettersson on the ice at five-on-five. His expected-goals-for of 32.5 per cent puts him ahead of only linemate Ilya Mikheyev, and about 40 points below the possession-quality metric of other top Vancouver forwards Brock Boeser, J.T. Miller, Elias Lindholm and Conor Garland.

Pettersson said these first two games were unlike anything he has experienced.

“Yeah, it is,” he said. “It's probably my first real playoff with all this atmosphere. I've just been so fired up. But maybe I've come away a little bit from what makes me good. I mean, adrenaline is good. . . but with adrenaline maybe I try to play too hard or make things too hard instead of just playing the game and letting the game come to you.”

I'd feel better about his take on his last two games if he acknowledged his last two months. 

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Starting to get a Carey Price vibe from this situation.  Where all the accumulated injuries have just dogpiled on Demko to the point that staying healthy and at the top of his game might be a thing of the past.  I hope not, he's still young and potentially has a number of great years left, but seriously. When was the last time his Injury history wasn't a concern? 

6 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Starting to get a Carey Price vibe from this situation.  Where all the accumulated injuries have just dogpiled on Demko to the point that staying healthy and at the top of his game might be a thing of the past.  I hope not, he's still young and potentially has a number of great years left, but seriously. When was the last time his Injury history wasn't a concern? 

He'll be 29 in December, he ain't that young. Top goaltenders can play at a higher level for longer, and he is a top tender, but he ain't young. 

Two years remaining on his deal, it'll be interesting to see how things play out, because as you've said his health has been a concern in recent years.

Canucks would to well to hold on to their top two picks in next season's draft and then draft a center and a goalie. This isn't to say Demko won't stay healthy, or that he can't, but they should start looking to the future because there's no guarantee Silovs or Tollpilo will be starter material.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I heard on 650 this evening that he could be back for game 1 or 2 of the second round. All this rides on at least one of the first round series goes 7 games, and more importantly we actually get to the 2nd round. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

He'll be 29 in December, he ain't that young. Top goaltenders can play at a higher level for longer, and he is a top tender, but he ain't young. 

Two years remaining on his deal, it'll be interesting to see how things play out, because as you've said his health has been a concern I'm recent years.

Canucks would to well to hold on to their top two picks in next season's draft and then draft a center and a goalie. This isn't to say Demko won't stay healthy, or that he can't, but they should start looking to the future because there's no guarantee Silovs or Tollpilo will be starter material.

Agreed, goalies are voodoo and you never know what you'll end up with when you draft one. Canucks should be filling the reserve now.  Hopefully Demko can come back healthy and stay that way, but I wouldn't wager much on that happening.  

2 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Who is this, and who is she hearing this from?

She used to write for the Athletic and generally has some pretty solid takes.  I don't know what sort of connections she has to Vancouver (if any). But she's not just some girl off the street, she's covered hockey for awhile. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Vancan said:

I heard on 650 this evening that he could be back for game 1 or 2 of the second round. All this rides on at least one of the first round series goes 7 games, and more importantly we actually get to the 2nd round. 

During the playoffs, I don't trust any injury reports as there is a lot of psych games played. He could be back soon or not at all - only the team really knows.

3 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Writes for the Bleacher report, covers the NHL but supposedly used to cover the Canes exclusively 

She's not a nobody and she's putting her rep on the line, if there's something to it I'm sure we'll hear more sooner than later

My understanding is she's credible

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Vancan said:

If their source is the Canucks I'd take it with a grain of salt 

Injuries have had a tendency to grow in significance over time under this management group 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Writes for the Bleacher report, covers the NHL but supposedly used to cover the Canes exclusively 

She's not a nobody and she's putting her rep on the line, if there's something to it I'm sure we'll hear more sooner than later

My understanding is she's credible

Plus kinda hot. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Valid question. I have one too, if he's done for the year, then why is he making the trip to Nashville? And yes, I saw that he won't be playing. But why make the trip? Why not stay home and recover?

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Agreed, goalies are voodoo and you never know what you'll end up with when you draft one. Canucks should be filling the reserve now.  Hopefully Demko can come back healthy and stay that way, but I wouldn't wager much on that happening.  

Honestly, if there's serious concern at all it's probably best that he is done for the playoffs. The Canucks don't have anyone who could reasonably step in and replace him sooner than later, and I think Silovs is a solid young tender. 

If I have to pick between trying to get him back in to try and force some sort of run and having him healthy for next season I'd pick the latter. 

1 minute ago, gwarrior said:

Valid question. I have one too, if he's done for the year, then why is he making the trip to Nashville? And yes, I saw that he won't be playing. But why make the trip? Why not stay home and recover?

Elite mind games if he comes out and plays game 4.