[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Game 2

39 minutes ago, tas said:

modern starters are expected to play about 55 games. in 2 of the last 3 years demko has played 64 and 51. 

Hes had 1 healthy season since taking over as the starter.  Are you trying to tell me he didn't miss a big chunks of games last season and the last month of this season?  

50 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

Anyone outside of Canada watching via an ESPN+ subscription? I had to pay for a TV Provider in order to watch Games 1 and 2. However, it seems ESPN is not carrying any playoff games until the Monday, which means both Games 3 and 4 won't be on ESPN (at least that's what it seems like based on

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2024/04/2024-nhl-stanley-cup-playoffs-presented-by-geico-begin-april-21-with-quadruple-header-on-espn-and-espn2/

This is pretty frustrating (as was having to pay for a TV Provider on top of ESPN+). Any suggestions how I could catch Games 3 and 4?

I had to upgrade to Hulu Live ($76.99) to watch the games on ESPN….just checked and TBS which will show the weekend games, is included in the package. 

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, -dlc- said:

You talk in certainties that are just ideas you have but they're not facts.

He would be aging isn't really too relevant with guys in their 30's who, in this day and age of hockey, are often in their best shape ever. Miller's lifestyle is one very focused on nutrition and fitness and a good family life. Matters.

Also "getting assets that would be hitting their prime" is also an unknown. You can't pencil in success for people just as you can't pencil in decline. We KNOW what we have in Miller. 

You're predicting he won't be a great player and that others will be. That's you fixing the narrative to fit your own skewed version of events.

People who are still arguing that he doesn't fit don't realize if we didn't have him Petey would likely be gone soon. Quinn might want out. Etc. And being upset over the fact that they built around Miller rather than Bo is turning out to be the right decision. The culture IS changing.

Miller drives this bus and the team around him realizes that. So assets may not want to be here if the team starts looking different.

you gotta take forecasting by "certain posters" around here with a grain of salt. 

Screenshot_20240409-0644029.thumb.png.6a5f9ddf0caec8413ef6a4d31c5dff32.png

those last two meaningless games made this look a lot better than it was, too. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Hes had 1 healthy season since taking over as the starter.  Are you trying to tell me he didn't miss a big chunks of games last season and the last month of this season?  

I'm telling you that in 2 of the last 3 years, this year included, he's been healthy enough to play as much as a starter is expected to. 

injuries happen. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, tas said:

I'm telling you that in 2 of the last 3 years, this year included, he's been healthy enough to play as much as a starter is expected to. 

injuries happen. 

Yeah. And I'm.saying the nature of those injuries and the length of time he's out with them is concerning.  He missed 3 months last season and the last month of this seadin plus apparently the remainder of the playoffs.  The fact thst Tochett rode him like a rented mule this year to get in 51 starts prior to his injury doesn't negate the fact that the laundry list of injuries is getting longer. 

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

Hopefully Demko can come back healthy and stay that way, but I wouldn't wager much on that happening.  

1 hour ago, tas said:

modern starters are expected to play about 55 games. in 2 of the last 3 years demko has played 64 and 51. 

Facts ^

3 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

It's not doom and gloom.  It's looking at the facts.  Demko has missed significant chunks of time in each of the past 3 seasons. 

Did I say hw was done? No.  

I hope Demko is able to bounce back and play at a high level for several more years, but it won't surprise me if his career is cut short by chronic injuries.  Vancouver should be planning for  that contingency now. 

You're pretty much saying he's done. Fact is players get hurt and speculating that his career will be cut short or he won't be healthy is getting a little ahead of ourselves here. 

Anyhow, time will tell I guess.

We don't even have the facts about what's going on with him yet so that would be step one in determining his future.

17 minutes ago, tas said:

you gotta take forecasting by "certain posters" around here with a grain of salt. 

Screenshot_20240409-0644029.thumb.png.6a5f9ddf0caec8413ef6a4d31c5dff32.png

those last two meaningless games made this look a lot better than it was, too. 

I'm no teacher but is 2/5 and 2/6 good? 

LOL

Sometimes I think him and Gawdzukes are the same guy but Stawns is a psuedo intellectual that gets it wrong while Gawdzukes is his meat head alter ego that also gets it wrong. 

If it's the same guy, it's pretty hilarious and I would give him props. 

6 hours ago, Vancan said:

When you think about it JT has not even reached his full potential. Look at his stats, every year he gets better and better. Not just points either, all stats. 

It sounds strange to say but he may hit his peak next year or the next. Then a SLOW decline, but it will not be noticeable till nearing the end of his contract, which we all expect. 

JT's numbers in the time he has been in the organization rival Bure's with the same time. I can't remember the stat off hand, but its something like no one since prime Ryan Getzlaf in his best year, has had more points combined with hits than Miller. 

Dont understand why some people complain about having this guy on our team.??? Complain just to complain I guess. 

JT has a habit of making most understand why he's on this team. All anyone has to do is watch the games. When the camera once in a while, pans the bench,

If JT is there, he's talking to his line-mates (or anyone else that needs advice) and tries to talk what can we do on the next shift or watch out for a dude on 

the other team. His play "on" the ice, for the most part, is highly intelligent..

Quinn Hughes also has these qualities.

• -dlc- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
34 minutes ago, Sway5454 said:

I had to upgrade to Hulu Live ($76.99) to watch the games on ESPN….just checked and TBS which will show the weekend games, is included in the package. 

Thanks - much appreciated.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Facts ^

You're pretty much saying he's done. Fact is players get hurt and speculating that his career will be cut short or he won't be healthy is getting a little ahead of ourselves here. 

Anyhow, time will tell I guess.

We don't even have the facts about what's going on with him yet so that would be step one in determining his future.

No. I didn't say hes done.  I said his injury history is concerning and is starting mirror Price's final couple seasons.  How it turns out long run is anybodys guess but I don't think it's unreasonable to look at the worst case scenario and suggest the Canucks start stockpiling young goalie prospects. 

3 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

No. I didn't say hes done.  I said his injury history is concerning and is starting mirror Price's final couple seasons.  How it turns out long run is anybodys guess but I don't think it's unreasonable to look at the worst case scenario and suggest the Canucks start stockpiling young goalie prospects. 

Looking at the worst case scenario  = gloom and doom in my opinion

Half empty vs half full but either way could pan out so why panic?

I get being prepared but before we stockpile anything let's just finish the season and see what gives. We're not looking to replace Demko just yet.....

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, qwijjibo said:

We have stockpiled great young goalies. You’re correct about how difficult it is to win without a good goalie though. Just look at the bottom clubs (Habs, Sabres, Sens) and how crappy they are! 

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

Looking at the worst case scenario  = gloom and doom in my opinion

Half empty vs half full but either way could pan out so why panic?

I get being prepared but before we stockpile anything let's just finish the season and see what gives.

So you don't think this missing a combined 4 months of play over the past 2 seasons PLUS potentially all but one gane of the playoffs this year is reason to be  concerned? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol we can't go for it this year, we need to wait 3 years when we have 3 players under contract and a bunch of unknowns. 

Yeah let's ignore that we are division champs and a top 5 team in the league and put our hopes 3 years from now when we have 3 players and have no idea who else will be here.. 

You work so hard just to disagree with everyone 😅. You're inserting your own narrative and arguing stuff no one is saying. I never said any of that. For the last time. Please honestly try to listen to what I'm saying: 

We can go for it this year ... we are going for it this year!

We are not ignoring that we have had a great year, and a great top 5 team.

No one is waiting 3 years.

I support that direction fully!

FULL STOP

Absolutely no one said anything about waiting for 3 years at this point in time, it was a hypothetical situation from 2 years ago that didn't happen.

It certainly wasn't a guarantee that Miller would have maintained his play, but he has actually gotten even better. Also, no one predicted the season we had. Good for us though on those fronts. We are in a position to push forward full steam ahead.

I don't know how anyone can really blame people for being skeptical of the next couple years at the end of Bennings reign. We had no assets, no cap space, and a very poorly constructed roster, extremely crappy results and terrible seasons for 5 years+. As such an eye to the future wasn't this stupid idea that you claim. Myself personally, I was jaded and saw no short term way out from Bennings bumbling's. But, thank gawd JR and PA were so creative and intelligent and did simple things (which Benning couldn't) like address the defence, and acquire salary efficient third and fourth liners, plus a good backup goalie. In addition, their pro scouting is excellent.

As for next year, at this point of course we don't give up and keep trying. It's going to be very difficult sledding at the same time. However, after the last off-season I have nothing but to trust they will do good things again. No one really knows what they'll do though. They may put all their eggs in one basket again, maybe trade some assets to address weaknesses or dump salary, and keep the team strong as possible. Or they could take the foot off the pedal and pivot towards building the team for the future and fitting some of our prospects into the roster. Unfortunately there are lots of moving parts and no single plan is without a fair amount of risk, and as such there is a wide array of outcomes for this team in the next 3 seasons.

Maybe you could try an approach like, "hey I see what you're saying. It's possible but I prefer this approach and it seems to be working out with better probability".

Edited by Gawdzukes

15 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Are we waiting for all the stars to align perfectly? Will that be our 1 shot at our cup? 

Like how much more perfect does it need to get? 

You can't keep waiting for the perfect scenario. JR addressed the Miller issue after his contract. You're projecting and banking on getting the real value in the first four years to six years and hoping that value continues in the back half knowing it may drop off. It's the risk you take to be good now and get value upfront.

Our time as a good team is now and near future. The waiting for the unknown and perfect is the same as the endless rebuild. There's never an end. 

And just look at what happens when we do get the perfect scenario and the pieces we eventually need - a young RHD, better depth, etc, people then want to trade them away and destroy what we have in favor of the unknown.

The waiting for the perfect time argument is always endlessly circular. It mirrors the circular emotional responses we see in here.

4 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

Yeah. And I'm.saying the nature of those injuries and the length of time he's out with them is concerning.  He missed 3 months last season and the last month of this seadin plus apparently the remainder of the playoffs.  The fact thst Tochett rode him like a rented mule this year to get in 51 starts prior to his injury doesn't negate the fact that the laundry list of injuries is getting longer. 

Yeah, this should be clear as day to anyone. Not a certainty by any means but definitely concerning. We've got to stop riding him into the ground, his body simply can't take it.

Some people have real trouble with any comment that goes against the notion that everything is great and 100% cool.

Edited by Gawdzukes

On 4/24/2024 at 11:53 AM, Googlie said:

Inquiring minds want to know... 

What does the NHL have to do with:

-Demko's injury

-Myers flu

-Nashville's insane shot-blocking

-Canucks inability to hit the net

-Our pathetic, ineffective powerplay

??????

WHATEVER BETMAN IS USA PRO..BETTER BE GOOD REFFING FOR THE REST OF PLAYOFFS..SO FAR SO GOOD...