Canucks possession game is killing them. The Canucks are to good

Just here me out. I am not joking.

The Canucks are to good. They are dominating Nashville in offensive zone possession and this is doing harm to their offensive game. 

How can the Canucks make the Preds make mistakes if all the Preds have to do is stand in front of their shots. The Preds are getting beat on the boards but as soon as the Canucks get it towards the net the Preds are just standing in front of their shot.

What is my point. The Canucks Can beat the Preds in a skating battle any day of the week and twice on Sunday. But The Preds are refusing to skate with the Canucks. The Preds are boxing out the slot and and letting the Canucks shot from the perimeter. The Canucks need to let off the pressure a bit and let them dump the puck out or skate the puck into the neutral zone so they can intercept passes or create take aways. Honestly what we are see from the Preds is not the naturel flow of a game of back and forth. The Preds know they are out gunned and they are going to sacrifice every part of their body to just hang on.

The Canucks need to go against what they know and give up possession. 

Edited by Tocchet.A.Hockey.God

• Tocchet.A.Hockey.God changed the title to Canucks possession game is killing them. The Canucks are to good

They literally need to put the pucks on net.  Saros robbed Suter, okay.  Petey kept missing and him and Miller were double-clutching.  If they put their foot back on the gas and start shooting more often (and send Petey to a sports psychologist) we shouldn't have trouble blowing open the games offensively to give Casey some run support.

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

They literally need to put the pucks on net.  Saros robbed Suter, okay.  Petey kept missing and him and Miller were double-clutching.  If they put their foot back on the gas and start shooting more often (and send Petey to a sports psychologist) we shouldn't have trouble blowing open the games offensively to give Casey some run support.

They need more chances off the rush instead of them shooting into a box of defenders covering the slot.

The Preds are playing a game of survival 

3 hours ago, filthy animal said:

Shoot the puck hard. Its either gonna hit the net, their face or their nuts. They want to block shots, make em pay the price

I was thinking this at the time as well.  We were also throwing a lot of heavy hits.  We must continue to punish them physically.  It will start to pay off as the series moves along.

10 hours ago, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

They need more chances off the rush instead of them shooting into a box of defenders covering the slot.

The Preds are playing a game of survival 

This.Skating down the boards and behind the net and letting Nashville drop back and create their box is playing right into the Preds hands.Cutting into the middle and pushing the d back may be something the Canucks should try.If they do face the box then hammer slapshots at their feet and ankles.Like beating on a pinata,eventually the effort will end in positive results.

6 hours ago, filthy animal said:

Shoot the puck hard. Its either gonna hit the net, their face or their nuts. They want to block shots, make em pay the price

Right, give it a couple games and they wont want to get in the way of a Hronek, Myers, Miller or Petey clapper. You can play through pain, sure, but it'll slow them down and make them think twice before getting in the lane. 

Also, we lost 1 game we dominated, happens. It was 1 game. If we lose 2 more the same way, then I'll be worried. For now, just keep after it

7 hours ago, filthy animal said:

There's some truth to this. But it starts with looking for more open lanes and in the very least be dangerous at any point to release a shot. We spent too much time in possession not facing the net and looking for the pass - especially on the half wall. If we can't draw them out of position a little on top of that, even better. If none of that works, then the war of attrition from them blocking so many shots will give us more opportunities.

3 hours ago, Dude said:

This.Skating down the boards and behind the net and letting Nashville drop back and create their box is playing right into the Preds hands.Cutting into the middle and pushing the d back may be something the Canucks should try.If they do face the box then hammer slapshots at their feet and ankles.Like beating on a pinata,eventually the effort will end in positive results.

Tocchet harps on this all of the time. Says when the team isn't playing good they're not cutting to the middle of the ice and playing perimeter hockey. The team should be well aware of this. 

Also alluded to on last post game that the way to beat this team who stacks bodies in front is to do slap pass tips off from the side of the net. Given how bad our team is at actually tipping (they sure go for it a fuck tonne though) is, I low key worry about this tactic as opposed to short one-timers which are much easier to pull off and avoids potential sticks in lanes altogether. 

Wouldn't hurt to just shoot the puck and screen, doesn't matter who the goalie is, you can't stop what you can't see.

Otherwise, 40 has to play better, our wingers need to cover the points better, and be better at not taking bad penalties, we were better last game but we need to keep on it. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2024 at 3:00 PM, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

The Canucks need to go against what they know and give up possession. 

Okay. I know you didn't really mean this literally. I think what you are getting at is we are being too clever for our own good.  Nashville is countering our superior hockey smarts on the ice, with the most dum dum basic response. Puck shot at our net. Me get in front of shot.  They've already accepted they can't match us talent wise. So why go head to head that way? By going so D extreme they kind of neutralize the superior possession we have.

But I believe Tocchet and coaches will make adjustments for next game if Nashville repeats that tactic next game. We have better talent, just got to deploy it properly. A few players also need to step up more.

I think DeSmith will be in a much better space going into Nashville.  The sudden playoff responsibility jitters after not playing for awhile, is understandable. But he's now had a couple days to come to terms with his job, work with Ian, and I think he'll be great. Or at least great enough.