DeSmith or Silovs?

mmkk

I say if DeSmith can have a bounce back game keep him in. If not Silovs should take the net. We need a spark. Silovs hasn't been scouted heavily and could be that it factor to steal a game or series. 

If the team could put some goals in that would be nice. 

GCG!!!

The guy with extensive NHL experience. Sure, Silovs has played on a big stage for Latvia but we're not in the regular season anymore, there's no substitute for experience. 

It's not even as if DeSmith was bad last game. The first goal was a bit of a fluke, the second goal was more on Forsberg being allowed to walk in with time and space, and even the third goal was due to a Pettersson giveaway. Sure, the rebound resulted in a goal but we didn't have anyone there who was able to sweep it away either. 

The Preds capitalized on the few chances they got, doesn't mean DeSmith was lousy. Will we need more from him? Sure, but it's not as if he's the only one we'll need more from. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I think you have to go back to DeSmith, for now. However, if Demko is truly out long term and the nucks make a long run out of this, I think it will be Silovs in net. We've seen young goalies come in and do it before. Wasn't it Cam Ward with the Hurricanes? Halak went on a run with the Canadiens when he was in his low 20s. It does happen.

11 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

At the same time?  I'd be up for that. :hurhur:

Anyone have a rule book?

wondering if it stipulates that only the goalie can wear goalie equipment, or can we dress a couple of the D men in the pads too?

The actual former Coach Roger Neilson, would already know the answer; and it could end up being yet another rule they'd have to change, because of him.

Penalty shots must have the goalie in net, because he would put a d man in the crease, and tell him to charge  at the shot taker. Presto rule changed to "Goalie in net"

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Start DeSmith, he has always been good on bounce back.

If we lose the next one, I'd give Silovs a chance to show what he can do. Everyone panicked when Markstrom went down in the bubble and we were forced to start Demko, but he was the only reason why we pushed Vegas as far as we did.

We have good goalies and the best goalie coach in the world.

Ultimately, the reason we lost the last game was NOT DeSmith. It was a a bad bounce and a couple of defensive lapses.

We need Pettersson to wake up, stop taking stupid penalties and we need to stop looking for the perfect tip in the slot and just focus on getting the puck to the net and forcing Soros to make saves.

On shot attempts, we were about 5 or 6 attempts for every puck we forced Soros to stop. On possession and zone time, Canucks were the far better overall team, but we spent too much time on the perimeter and not enough time making Soros' life difficult. He's a small goalie, shoot high, shoot often, shoot from everywhere and drive the net for rebounds. If we don't doing that, you can go dust off Ken Dryden in his prime, we won't win the series if it's only our 3rd line showing determination in the offensive zone.

1st and second lines need to step up!

25 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The guy with extensive NHL experience. Sure, Silovs has played on a big stage for Latvia but we're not in the regular season anymore, there's no substitute for experience. 

It's not even as if DeSmith was bad last game. The first goal was a bit of a fluke, the second goal was more on Forsberg being allowed to walk in with time and space, and even the third goal was due to a Pettersson giveaway. Sure, the rebound resulted in a goal but we didn't have anyone there who was able to sweep it away either. 

The Preds capitalized on the few chances they got, doesn't mean DeSmith was lousy. Will we need more from him? Sure, but it's not as if he's the only one we'll need more from. 

His rebound control was pretty awful all game, that was just the one instance it came back to bite us. My butt was puckering up with every shot he faced after seeing the initial rebounds he gave up. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

His rebound control was pretty awful all game, that was just the one instance it came back to bite us. My butt was puckering up with every shot he faced after seeing the initial rebounds he gave up. 

That's fair, but I'm still more confident in his experience and ability to bounce back. Last game wasn't on DeSmith though, most of the time we win with that kind of Canucks performance. 

If he gets lit up next game, maybe, but if he gives us even average goaltending we probably stick with him imo. 

Edited by Coconuts

As somebody who has watched a lot of AHL games with Silovs, he's not a better goaltender than Desmith. However with that said, ride whomever is hot. Desmith will be more consistent, but if he's lacking confidence then it doesn't matter either way. 

They're close enough in ability that Silovs is capable of playing better but he's lacking the technique to be consistent at the NHL level. He's a goaltender that is very streaky. I think he's still a couple years away from being ready for the NHL but that's just me. 

15 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I'd go with Silovs- he's most likely next season's back up, as he's younger, cheaper and already a bit better than Casey.

I like Silovs just because of his size. I think skill wise him and DeSmith are the same. Both are capable of being an NHL back up. 

Silovs started the year off rough in Abby, no doubt, I watched in wonder thinking did this kid party too hard after Latvia won Bronze lol. But I think he was just tired. As the season rolled on he looked better and better imo.

I look at last game, the Forsberg goal (2nd goal) would not have gone in if a taller goalie was in net. Casey wasn't positionally bad on the play it's just the space above his shoulders while on his knees was too much and Forsberg popped it in. If Silovs was in net he'd be taller and close that corner gap off just purely based on size.

The first goal is similar. Desmith almost saved the puck and I don't blame him on the goal...but if it were Silovs stretching his legs out to get the deflected puck he would have had several more inches of length to stretch out and stop the puck.

In my opinion looking at the 4 goals last game, Silovs would have stopped 2 out of 4 just being taller than Desmith.

Now of course we don't know if Silovs would have made the same play or not but I do think his awareness and positioning is just as sound as Desmith so my hope is Silovs would have responded in similar fashion.

It's the playoffs now, lots of goals are going to come from screens, traffic, and in close play. Silovs has the advantage of being able to battle through all of that just purely based on size and how he can cover the net.

Silovs for game 3 please.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think you have to go back to DeSmith, for now. However, if Demko is truly out long term and the nucks make a long run out of this, I think it will be Silovs in net. We've seen young goalies come in and do it before. Wasn't it Cam Ward with the Hurricanes? Halak went on a run with the Canadiens when he was in his low 20s. It does happen.

A couple of things.  Both Halak and Ward were full-on backups.  They were the #2 options for their teams all year long.  Silos is our #3 goalie by some margin.  It would be pretty nuts to see him make that jump.

Secondly, they both took over because the #1 net minders were playing like shit.  Gerber was shit.  Price (that series) was shit.

Also, a fun fact: Halak is older than Carey Price.  

I expect we will see DeSmith one more time but if he isn't good we will see Silovs and I do think Silovs is the guy we need. Of course, if the next series is the Oilers we will see DeSmith. If I were RT I'd tell them both, I going with whomever gets it done, you both need to be ready all the time.

1 hour ago, NucksNation said:

I have no confidence in either. It was nice having Demko back, didn’t have to hold my breath on every shot thrown at him. 

me too 😞 gonna be rough series without demko...no confidence in either, esp for something this big

Give DeSmith next game, if he doesn't bounce back then go with Silovs. Honestly like the kid, he's a big game player. If he can backstop Latvia to a Bronze medal over the US he can take this team on run. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Olli Juolevi said:

That was one of the things I noticed about DeSmith vs Silovs during the regular season, Casey is a rebound machine, while Arturs swallows them up pretty effectively.  Also Casey, because of his diminutive size is overly agressive and tends to over commit, while Arturs does not. I'd go with Arturs, one of the things about young goalies is that they often dont grasp the gravity of the situation which means they can stay calmer and play like it's just another game. I'm pretty sure that Casey chant added to his already jangled nerves.

• Upvote 1