Intentionally scoring on your own net?

This is an extremely random post, but there’s something I’ve been thinking about something lately. Would it ever make sense to intentionally score on your own net? Sounds crazy, but there is a scenario where it would not only make sense, but also give you the best chance to win.

Imagine you are down by one goal. With 1 minute left in the game the other team enters your zone. You are pretty sure it was offside but the refs let it go. For the next 50 seconds your team isn’t able to exit the zone.you finally get control of the puck with just a few seconds left, not enough time to make a rush down the ice. So you take a shot on your goalie and score. Why? Because then you can challenge for an offside review. If you win the review you get a neutral zone face off with 1 minute remaining, which still gives you a shot at scoring the tying goal.

I know it’s an extremely specific set of criteria to happen, but for some reason I found it interesting. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • chaos 1

18 minutes ago, Pianoman said:

This is an extremely random post, but there’s something I’ve been thinking about something lately. Would it ever make sense to intentionally score on your own net? Sounds crazy, but there is a scenario where it would not only make sense, but also give you the best chance to win.

Imagine you are down by one goal. With 1 minute left in the game the other team enters your zone. You are pretty sure it was offside but the refs let it go. For the next 50 seconds your team isn’t able to exit the zone.you finally get control of the puck with just a few seconds left, not enough time to make a rush down the ice. So you take a shot on your goalie and score. Why? Because then you can challenge for an offside review. If you win the review you get a neutral zone face off with 1 minute remaining, which still gives you a shot at scoring the tying goal.

I know it’s an extremely specific set of criteria to happen, but for some reason I found it interesting. 🤷‍♂️

I actually posted this scenario on CDC maybe a year or two ago and basically got the same responses you did, could never get a real answer.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work though under the current rules.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

1 minute ago, Goalie29 said:

I heard a story about a guy I used to play beer league with.  His wife promised he would get lucky if he scored a goal in the oldtimers' tournament.  Time was running out, so he fired one past his own unsuspecting goaltender.

Only problem, he doesn’t get credit for the goal so his wife has an out.

I heard a story about a guy I used to play beer league with.  His wife promised he would get lucky if he scored a goal in the oldtimers' tournament.  Time was running out, so he fired one past his own unsuspecting goaltender.

Must've been pretty "dry" if he was desperate enough to earn the wrath of his teammates only to "get lucky".  :classic_ninja:

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

Only problem, he doesn’t get credit for the goal so his wife has an out.

Legend has it, his teammates let the bewildered officials in on what happened, so his name went on the official scoresheet.

Legend has it, his teammates let the bewildered officials in on what happened, so his name went on the official scoresheet.

I call BS on that legend, you can’t go on the score sheet for an own goal.

5 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

The selfish act sounds like a personal power-play!

26 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I call BS on that legend, you can’t go on the score sheet for an own goal.

I just took it as a warning that the guy was known for scoring on his own goalie.

Something similar happened with the Canucks earlier this season.  We were on the PP and it looked like the play was offside, and we continued to press and used up most of our PP time.  Eventually, the other team cleared and the PP ended.

It was kind of silly though, because even if we scored, it was likely the play was coming back due to the offside.  So really we were damned if we did, damned if we didn't.  I am not sure how to combat this problem but it definitely is a real issue.  Not sure if you can challenge an offside the other way round to get more time put back on the clock.

Kind of a fun an interesting idea. Obviously a super specific scenario though. Even if you think there's a chance you might be wrong about the offside call, you're already losing anyway with the game so close to over, so the only downside, as long as the team understands what you're doing, is the worsening of stats like GAA, +/-, etc.

What it really seems to do is point out a flaw with the inability challenge once the game ends. Allow for challenges at the end of a game for a set amount of time and then this weird optimisation goes away.

25 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

Something similar happened with the Canucks earlier this season.  We were on the PP and it looked like the play was offside, and we continued to press and used up most of our PP time.  Eventually, the other team cleared and the PP ended.

It was kind of silly though, because even if we scored, it was likely the play was coming back due to the offside.  So really we were damned if we did, damned if we didn't.  I am not sure how to combat this problem but it definitely is a real issue.  Not sure if you can challenge an offside the other way round to get more time put back on the clock.

They need to change the rule to once the defending team gets possession in its own zone the play can not be challenged. It would also prevent the OPs scenario from occurring as well.

31 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

I think I actually remember this exact play and felt the same way! Just wasted time that wouldn’t matter one way or the other.