[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Nashville Predators | April 26th, 4:30PM PT | Round 1, Game 3 (Series tied 1-1)

Roberts

Hopefully Pettersson can learn how to deal with the pressure of the playoffs, as he's been pedestrian and unimpactful. Farhan Lalji had an interview with Gino Reda on TSN, and alluded to Tocchet needing to take a different approach with Pettersson regarding coaching. It's on Pettersson to make it happen at this point. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

Think RT said it best today - need the stronger will right now - desperation - blocking shots - driving to the net - finishing checks and taking hits.  Think with the key G injury, the teams are pretty much matched up. 

And yes, we need Petey in a big way in this series to open up options.  Thought about the lines - to get the PP going, maybe even switching Lindholm / Petey up with PP 1 and 2 and see how it goes.

Hope for a very determined strong performance from the good guyz tonight.  GCG

justwin.jpg

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Let's be honest, he's out month to month and not week to week. It seems every week to week injury has lasted months with the crew that reports the timelines this year.

I would agree.  I think we're on our own until the 24-25 season starts and after his surgery.    Just hope our B/U's can hang in there.

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

People have been trying to write this team off all year. Remember when Edmonton was going to beat us twice to start the year? Yet here we are.

And when we were gonna switch places in the standings before January? We win either or both games in Nashville we're winning this series. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I wonder if Petey can start trying to get more shots through from farther out? take a page out of Hughes book and seek out traffic to get shots through. 

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hopefully Pettersson can learn how to deal with the pressure of the playoffs, as he's been pedestrian and unimpactful. Farhan Lalji had an interview with Gino Reda on TSN, and alluded to Tocchet needing to take a different approach with Pettersson regarding coaching. That's not good. 

Petey generally likes onto hold the puck and look for plays.  I hope he can speed his game up a little and let go some quick shots/create some chaos/rebound chances.    Might be getting in his own way a little bit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AngryGoose said:

Petey generally likes onto hold the puck and look for plays.  I hope he can speed his game up a little and let go some quick shots/create some chaos/rebound chances.    Might be getting in his own way a little bit.

He'll have to learn how to adjust his game for the post season, which seemingly most every other player outside of Hoglander (who is in his first real season in the NHL) has been able to do. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, AngryGoose said:

His shot hasn't been the same for months.  Less accuracy, velocity, and volume.  All signs point to him playing through an upper body injury.

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I wonder if Petey can start trying to get more shots through from farther out? take a page out of Hughes book and seek out traffic to get shots through. 

He is good in close, but like you allude to, where's the big boomers. He was deadly, if I recall. What was it at his fist Allstar game, 101?

People have been trying to write this team off all year. Remember when Edmonton was going to beat us twice to start the year? Yet here we are.

Remember when Edmonton was going to catch up in the division and it was almost a guarantee when Demko got injured the first time around? Exactly 🙂 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

The negative narratives just haven't been able to stick ... and for good reason.

56 minutes ago, PeteyBoeser said:

So frustrating for us to play so we’ll all season for this and first game we lose our starter and probably shorter playoffs. We would be saying if only we had Demko we could’ve gotten past so and so.. 

I guess all those useless/meaningless games Tock-it made Demko play for no reason like Chicago and others to name a few - instead of pacing him (LIKE HE SAID HE WOULD DO AT THE START OF THE SEASON) and using D-Smith more often and keeping him engaged instead of 2-3 week sitting around - might have not burnt Demko out and broken him before playoffs and kept D-Smith sharper.    Maybe next year Tock-it can "stick to The Plan" which he is so quick to criticize players for not doing!

I rest my case !

The last game was winnable. We had two PPs back to back and couldn't score. Nashville's pk strategy seems to be let Hughes and Miller have the puck and they'll kill the PP for them.  I sometimes wonder if they want to win so badly or if they want to be the hero so badly. Suter in the slot is the only option usually while Petey and Brock become somewhat stationary and don't get many touches.

If we play a team game we can hang with anyone. Skate hard and work together. In tight they have to elevate the puck. We'll lose as individuals or win as a team.

At the start of the season, people were fine with Demko getting a projected 55-60 games. We were glad to have DeSmith to handle the rest. All was good.

Demko was given a clean bill of health and cleared to play by doctors. He was a key difference maker this season in our success.

Demko is a starting goalie. He wasn't going to play less than the projected 55-60.

None of that is Tocchet's fault.

Going forward, however, now that we have more definitive information with Demko's late injury in the season, and the playoffs, he needs to be managed more precisely next season for sure.

2 hours ago, NucksNation said:

I really don’t understand why they’re not unloading bombs on the Nashville defenders. Half their team could be out by game 5 if the Nucks did that and they want to keep blocking that many shots. 

This. Start firing missiles at the soft bits. No Mercy.