[PGT] Vancouver at Nashville - Round 1 - Game 3

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Good thing we didn't trade ...

Miller

Yes, I agree!

I think the thing that Alf can't wrap his fur around, is that Pettersson is not elite!

Imagine if we had 3 elite players on our team, and Pettersson is the 3rd best....imagine that!

I guess it is how you define "elite"

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol is this what @stawnsis crying about??? 

Really? That was it? 

Luke Schenn is cooked. He can’t skate well enough to keep up. If the refs called all his holding, hooking, and interference he’d spend the whole game in the box. He needs to retire to pasture with the other dried up cows. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Luke Schenn is cooked. He can’t skate well enough to keep up. If the refs called all his holding, hooking, and interference he’d spend the whole game in the box. He needs to retire to pasture with the other dried up cows. 

Cows get butchered before they get that old... Just saying

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, KFAN said:

It's great to see how coaching has changed Myers' game. Like a lot of people on here, for the past few years,  he was who I thought should be the first to go. He constantly made mistake after mistake.  I've definitely changed my opinion.  Since mid season, he's been one of our best defenders.

It's really something how the coaches have got him to simply his game.

1 hour ago, JIAHN said:

Yes, I agree!

I think the thing that Alf can't wrap his fur around, is that Pettersson is not elite!

Imagine if we had 3 elite players on our team, and Pettersson is the 3rd best....imagine that!

I guess it is how you define "elite"

The way he burst on the scene he had lots of people fooled.

Swedish Gretzky, comparisons to datstuk, and forsberg

Hard expectations to live up to.

This is hockey in Vancouver though. He needs to deal with it and adapt.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

I think alot of people are thinking I do not like Pettersson, which is entirely wrong. I love his skill. But, I have said this before, when he plays big teams he disappears somewhat...I mean it figures, he is slight, and not incredibly fast......he pays for it! I will say, he is like a Timex watch, and he takes his licken and keeps on ticken! (An old TV commercial) shows you how old I am. But he does go to the hard spots!

I respect you for saying the quiet part out loud.  I've brought up his slightness before to a thundering silence. He does not have a body that is well suited for playoff hockey.  I think he is bothered by that.  That's why he's trying to do more hitting to prove something to himself because he's a driven athlete.  But he's got to just accept his limitations.  He can be like Gretzy, and learn how to survive and avoid crushing hits. No one will, or should, blame him if he just sticks to what he knows best. His wizardry with the puck we saw in his rookie year is still there. That is why he's paid the big bucks.

And like you, I still love Petey and want him as a Canuck. I also think he'll learn how to get through funks like he is in faster in the future. And he will bulk up a bit, although his body frame will only allow him to be so hefty.  I think he will be overpaid by a couple mill a season.  I think around 10 mill would have been fair.   But I understand that you gotta overpay if you want to keep key players.  So I'm not upset about it, other than what it limits Rutherford to do with the rest of the cap.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

The way he burst on the scene he had lots of people fooled.

Swedish Gretzky, comparisons to datstuk, and forsberg

Hard expectations to live up to.

This is hockey in Vancouver though. He needs to deal with it and adapt.

People fooled? What? JR knows it takes an elite 1C to win the Cup. He knows Petey is that level of player. 
The guy scored 100 points while being amazing defensively. Those centres are impossible to trade for. Unless you’re Vegas and can take advantage of a stupid loser team like Buffalo. 

11 hours ago, -dlc- said:

But the other part.....Cowan was average sized at 6'2" 203 lbs.

Zadorov? 6'6" and 248

Matters....different weight class. He's also fairly skilled.

Also.....what does the team look like without him? Much different. I do agree that they can't be stupid but they also have to really try to keep him here.

Yeah, I’d agree with that for sure.  The size and physicality our bottom 2 pairings really work to create something special - and Zadorov is a cornerstone of that.  

He only makes 3.75 right now - the 4s, with some term, could hopefully be realistic.  Ryan Graves-like. (4.5 x 6) 

10 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I appreciate your take but there's one thing to consider.

Many who "know" the x's and o's aren't particularly good at identifying the human element in it all. After all, the sytems are implemented by humans which very much affects things.

Some of the self-professed experts who have played the game will present some of the technical aspects of the game and that's impressive. But, equally so, is the ability for some who go to games and never miss a game to identify strengths and weaknesses in the players themselves. 

For instance, JT Miller. Many of the experienced hockey guys screamed that he had to go...was a cancer. 

Some of us saw beyond his emotional outbursts and knew there was an all in heart and soul player. One of size and skill who was worth exercising patience in. A guy who was directing play behind the scenes and had enough gumption to say "we don't know what we're doing here". And stand up for the team when needed. One who didn't care how he "looked" because it was all about how they fared.

And not just him...has happened before. I've been told for years by the hockey guys that, as a woman who's never played, I know nothing. Yet some of those same people screamed early on the get rid of...Bieksa, Burrows. Some of my favourites. Maybe there's something more than just knowing the systems...you have to see what happens away from the play (that streaming and TV miss). 

I wonder how much "the system" is creating a bit of Petey's struggle. I mean, he's a guy with pure and natural talent who was really good at playing on instincts and creating his own "system". Like how he used to use subtle moves to create space for himself. Systems only tell half the story...then you have to work with the human element and create a balance. Yes, everyone has to buy in but you also have to have some creativity and chemistry...things that aren't always "on paper".

Anyhow, cheers...a good discussion. I'm just not as easily convinced because someone knows 1-3-1 (which I also happen to understand).

Truth be told, it would be nice if we'd just all be on the same page and cheer for the boys as this is a pretty outstanding season. No matter how you analyze it. Seems we are being pulled together and this city is alive with hockey vibrancy right now. It's very refreshing. We are all Canucks.

All good points Deb.

I am very aware of your loyalty in regards to JT and I admire it immensely.

As a person who wears his heart on his sleeve myself, I do respect that about JT.

I have never questioned his passion or his talent.

I do admit before he signed his contract I was worried about term and length, however he is the " spiritual " leader of this team IMO.

He gives 100 percent, never leaves anything on the ice. 

I am glad we kept him and that contract is more than good value for what he brings both on and off the ice.

I know these athletes can't perform to the best of their abilities over an 82 game season.

I am aware that many of them carry niggling little injuries a lot of the time. 

One year, 2000, I spent roughly 280 says that year skiing, both here in Aus and in Canada.

My knees were sore, my back was dodgy however there was that many powder days you had to ski.

I am also very aware how some personalities and talents click with others. 

I was very fortunate to be brought up by two people who not only loved each other dearly, they were also the perfect example of 

The sum of the parts is greater than the whole 

This is what every team, in every team sport is striving to achieve. 

As my father taught me, you can't win them all son, you can only try to win the ones that matter. 

And you are talking to a person who hates losing. 

I believe that's a key component of being an elite athlete.

I am far from being the most talented MTB rider or skier, however I hated losing, that would drive me to train harder when I did lose, give 100 percent, believe 100 percent in myself, and come back and beat the guy who beat me.

Traits I also believe JT has. 

I will always love the Canucks.

I have a team signed jersey signed and framed that cost me a fortune hanging over my telly.

Myself and couple of my Canadians friends that married Aussie girls are revelling in these playoff games.

We talk every day, and we are enjoying every second of it.

9 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Def hard to watch games then. Oh well bring your passion, stream it and maybe we'll do a bradbury this year and finish first.

That's bloody beautiful brother.

You actually made me smile. 

How I would love see us  " pull a Bradbury " and win it all.

Such an apt analogy, ice skating reference.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

People fooled? What? JR knows it takes an elite 1C to win the Cup. He knows Petey is that level of player. 
The guy scored 100 points while being amazing defensively. Those centres are impossible to trade for. Unless you’re Vegas and can take advantage of a stupid loser team like Buffalo. 

OK, Alf you gotta go to school here a little.........Centers only

Generational.......................McDavid, Crosby

Elite......................................Matthews, Eichel, MacKinnon

1st line player......................Pettersson, Miller, Zibanejad, Thompson, Ahom Hintz, Barkov, Kopitar, Hischier, J.Hughes, Schiefle, Draisaitl (probably close to elite, but not IMO)

2nd line player....................Duchene, RNH, Horvat, Tavaras(now), Malkin (now)

3rd line player.....................Lowry, Monahan, Lindholm, Domi

4th line player.....................Blueger, Sturm, Goodrow..............who cares?

Don't get caught up in their salary, or if they play 2nd line in on a team, look at and how they play on the ice......can they "Consistently" beat Dman, one on one?, how many night off do they take off (meaning they none factors), can they move up in the line up, when called upon? And at the bottom, 4th line players, dime a dozen, interchangeable with best minor league players ( a bit better, but some teams have better players in the minors)

Yes, some may be off a little, but you get the drift................

Edited by JIAHN
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

Elite......................................Matthews, Eichel, MacKinnon, Malkin

1st line player......................Pettersson, Miller, Zibanejad, Thompson, Ahom Hintz, Barkov, Kopitar, Hischier, J.Hughes, Schiefle, Draisaitl (probably close to elite, but not IMO)

2nd line player....................Duchene, RNH, Horvat, Tavaras(now), 

4th line player.....................Blueger, Sturm, Goodrow..............who cares?

Don't get caught up in their salary, or if they play 2nd line in on a team, look at and how they play on the ice......can they "Consistently" beat Dman, one on one?, how many night off do they take off (meaning they none factors), can they move up in the line up, when called upon? And at the bottom, 4th line players, dime a dozen, interchangeable with best minor league players ( a bit better, but some teams have better players in the minors)

Sorry don’t get this. Watched Petey and see, like JR, and elite 1C. Can’t win a Cup without him. So, considering that, it makes sense (the any hockey person) we need to keep him. Snd, of course JR, being an expert hockey person, agrees. 
Sorry friend you arguments against Petey make no sense. In fact they are like what the Sabres did with Eichel. Beyond stupid. Snd remember Slf loves you. 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JIAHN said:

Elite......................................Matthews, Eichel, MacKinnon, Malkin

2nd line player....................Duchene, RNH, Horvat, Tavaras(now), 

your list is broken….

• ThereItIs 1
  • chaos 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Sorry don’t get this. Watched Petey and see, like JR, and elite 1C. Can’t win a Cup without him. So, considering that, it makes sense (the any hockey person) we need to keep him. Snd, of course JR, being an expert hockey person, agrees. 
Sorry friend you arguments against Petey make no sense. In fact they are like what the Sabres did with Eichel. Beyond stupid. Snd remember Slf loves you. 

Sounds like the empties are building Alfie, Cheers. Also remember ‘s’ is right beside the ‘a’ keyboard wise….

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

It's really something how the coaches have got him to simply his game.

Pretty great that he has Foote and Gonchar as D coaches. 

Also great that RT has always been so consistent in his messaging about systems and playing the right way. It's really simplified the team game and as a result helped the team play faster with less hesitation. That's where Myers plays best. When natural instincts and speed take over as opposed to sitting back and overthinking everything. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

That's bloody beautiful brother.

You actually made me smile. 

How I would love see us  " pull a Bradbury " and win it all.

Such an apt analogy, ice skating reference.

I speak many languages, as long as they are versions of english.

• Huggy Bear 1

Ok time to bring some good mojo back. 

Petey is on the scoreboard with an assist last game. 

We are 3 games in and he has 1 point. 

He is well capable of putting up 3 pts in a game and then he'll be a point a game player this playoffs. 

I think game 2 was a learning point for him. He forced it and tried to do too much and it cost him. 

He could easily be sitting with 3 or 4 points right now

(missed the net on a half open net), great pass to Hogz last game where Hogz also had the entire top side of the net, and probably some other chances I forgot. 

Petey will break out soon. 

His defensive play in games 1 and 3 have been solid. Bold statement but I believe he will finish the playoffs as our leading scorer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dizzle said:

your list is broken….

May be Malkin, when I look at it, but the intent and the message is pretty close. Pretty easy to sit behind a computer screen and make a comment like that, and not back it up with corrections...aka your list............

My point is valid...

• Cheers 1