[PGT] Vancouver at Nashville - Round 1 - Game 3

1 hour ago, tas said:

and dak and garland fought in preseason and kesler and mitchell and blah blah blah. confrontation happens. confrontation is necessary sometimes. 

On live tv, after a game?  Cmon, let's be realistic and honest 

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s friggin’ disgusting that a person would film animals in this scenario instead of keeping the cat away. And it’s highly likely that owl was injured. It’s a disgusting video made by a disgusting person. Animals aren’t toys. 

that's very shrill. 

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

How Thatcher Demko helped prepare Casey DeSmith to carry the mail for the Vancouver Canucks

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Thatcher Demko was an emotional wreck on Monday. After years of grinding as one of the most laser-focused and committed goalies in the game, Demko finally earned a taste of the reason for the season when he started the Vancouver Canucks’ first playoff home game since he was a sophomore at Boston College.

His taste was more like a cruel tease. An awkward movement in the 60th minute of Game 1 caused a fluke knee injury, which sources say is unrelated to the one suffered in March, that will cost him at least Round 1. The only prescription is rest.

It took a conversation with a resolute Rick Tocchet to calm down Demko, who was in tears, and provide proper perspective. Tocchet’s message was simple: “Your season isn’t over. We’re going to need you, because we’re still going to be playing when you’re ready again.”

And that’s when Demko’s attention turned to Casey DeSmith. Because if Vancouver is going to get their No. 1 netminder back, DeSmith is going to have to carry the mail for the Canucks like he did in Friday night’s 2-1 win over the Nashville Predators in Game 3 at Bridgestone Arena.

Demko joined the Canucks on their trip to Music City and pumped DeSmith’s tires.

“He just said he believed in me,” DeSmith said. “You know, he’s watched me all year. He knows my game. And he said he’s excited to watch me and wouldn’t trust anyone else to do it.”

DeSmith, 32, has been in the league for six years now but has never been asked to be the guy for any extended period of time. He stepped in for the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2022 in their first-round series against the Rangers when Tristan Jarry went down. But DeSmith pressed Louis Domingue into service when he suffered his own injury in the second OT, paving the way for the infamous Spicy Pork and Broccoli Game, which is what a hungry Domingue ate during the overtime intermission thinking he wouldn’t be needed.

DeSmith’s next playoff start didn’t come until Tuesday night. He left Rogers Arena on Sunday after Game 1 knowing Demko was injured, but no one knew the severity. And when news of Demko’s injury broke on Tuesday, DeSmith was dropped into the pressure cooker against Juuse Saros and the Preds, in an on-edge and readily combustible Vancouver market.

He struggled. DeSmith looked a little nervous at times in Game 2. His rebound control wasn’t great and he allowed three goals on 15 shots. He bounced back with his first career playoff win on Friday night as the Canucks took a 2-1 lead in the best-of-seven series, despite registering just 12 shots on goal. Game 4 is Sunday afternoon.

“It couldn’t have come at a better time,” DeSmith said. “I was really disappointed in the result the other night. I thought they team played great and I didn’t get the result they deserved.”

Maybe it was the additional time between games to wrap his mind around the role, but whatever it was, it was abundantly clear DeSmith just looked different in the glow of Nashville neon. Tocchet said that one of his assistant coaches remarked during the first intermission that DeSmith looked good. He looked confident, placing an exclamation point on his night with an aggressive blocker save that he directed all the way up toward the blue line.

“You could just tell that he had it,” Tocchet said. “He just looked big. He wasn’t side-to-side flopping. I think that really gave confidence to the team.”

Tocchet believes it is DeSmith’s demeanor that has made him successful at the NHL. The undrafted free agent out of University of New Hampshire, originally signed by now-Canucks president Jim Rutherford in Pittsburgh, is affable and honest. In his free time, you can find him playing disc golf in the Lower Mainland – he is a fan of Raptors Knoll Disc Golf Park in Langley – where he has apparently become pretty good at pinging baskets. That’s how he relaxes, a sport he was turned on to by family back in Rochester, N.H.

“I think it’s his personality,” Tocchet said on why DeSmith was able to settle in. “He’s not an uptight guy. He always has a smile on his face. I think it’s infectious. Even when he has a tough night or things don’t go his way, he comes in, spends hours with [goalie coach Ian Clark] and never complains. His demeanor is just great for that role.”

DeSmith arrived in Vancouver with the trust and backing of Rutherford and GM Patrik Allvin from the Pittsburgh connection. But he was a salary cap cast-off by the Penguins, and then flipped to Vancouver from Montréal in exchange for a third-round pick and another imperfect contract. So there weren’t huge expectations and no one really ever knows how a tandem will function, because DeSmith didn’t know his tandem mate well in Demko, despite the fact they share the same agents at Edge Sports Management.

Demko and DeSmith became fast friends. They became fathers for the first time within weeks of each other. And their wives and babies are now close. That has only helped support their on-ice relationship, where DeSmith has picked up for Demko twice now for extended runs after injury.

“You couldn’t ask from a better guy to learn from, just in terms of the excellence he has as far as being a goalie,” DeSmith said of Demko. “He’s very, very passionate about goaltending. It rubbed off on me. Hopefully he would say the same, but he’s a really hard worker and he’s a really good friend. He’s been really supportive every time that I’ve been in there – whether he’s been injured or it’s just my turn. He’s always more than supportive of me and I’ve really enjoyed his friendship.”

For one night, at least, Vancouver could breathe a sigh of relief. DeSmith knows he has big shoes to fill. He knows that he isn’t Demko. But he believes in himself, knowing that the Canucks need him only to be Casey DeSmith, as they all hope that is enough.

Hiring Rick Tocchet is the best decision this organization has made this last decade. 

I may be biased, but he deserves the Jack Adams. What a guy

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

On live tv, after a game?  Cmon, let's be realistic and honest 

I am. his teammates love the guy. his coaches love the guy. what more do you want?

optics are meaningless. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petey isn’t on 11.6. The fact is he’s just over 7. He’s playing fine and we are winning. 
Bow 🙇 to the Empties. 

Petty has mad a few good passes, had some good (and not so good) shots on/off net, and tried to tie up and supress some Pred players - BUT - he is clearly afraid to get hit and will not get into scrums and get involved in the physical side of things.  This is where he still needs to complete his transition from Euro Hockey to North American play.   

This is not the Spengler cup we're playing for and he'll need to learn that winning the Stanley cup entails "complete" sacrifice not partial peripheral play in the shadows. We've seen this swedish passive style of play for 30+ years around here and any long time "real" fan and especially those who have played the game recognize his style of hockey all too well and know that style of play might win you an Olympic medal but NOT the Stanley Cup. 

Hopefully as he grows up and gets more of a taste of this and he gets bigger, stronger and more confident with himself he'll become more of a dynamic well rounded player rather than a Regular Season Entertaining Finese Player.   Still lots of years for him to go and fingers crossed he'll complete the transformation as a very few other Swedes were able to do!  If he manges to do that - look out - because he'll be a substantial threat to reckon with.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It's no longer a country club anymore... Miller is a big part of the reason why it's not.

he was a nice fellow, but I'm happy that we're not watching Horvat's fly by's or spectator personality when things got tough in games. Great bumper PP guy tho. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

The last team to win a playoff game with only 12 shots was the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2017. They beat (history loves irony) the Nashville Predators and Pekka Rinne. 

Oh, and who won the Cup that year??? The Penguins.

Pathetic indeed….

Exactly.

Even the 2007-08 red wings who are seen by some as the greatest salary cap era squad lost their first two road games in round 1. To Nashville which was led in goals by j p dumont and an aging arnott

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Darius said:

Preds fans complaining about their DJ lol

That guy is probably gonna lose his job lol.  Could u imagine if Chelsea dagger was played in Rogers Arena while we were in a playoff game against the hawks??

27 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

At this point it would be nice to see Podz on Peteys wing.

At least just to add some heft to that line.

Maybe Podz, Petey, Hogz could cause some damage?

I’d say Mik but he has lost all offensive ability it seems.

I'd almost just have Podz and Mik with Petey since those 2 have some decent size.  Then move Hogs back to the 4th line to feast on Nashville's bottom part of their roster.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I hear you. I'm a hockey guy and a fan since 82. Played, coached, etc. Sounds like we have a lot in common. I don't disagree that EP is struggling and is not worth what he signed for based on the last few months played. I get it. But you can't hold him accountable for the struggle and not then give credit for the years of skill and projection that preceded the struggle. It sucks it's happening now, but this can happen with players as they develop. I watched Naslund and the twins have similar struggles. I agree EP has to earn the 11.6 and isn't at the moment but based on past achievements, he will eventually find his game. Its just the ebbs and flows of a young developing player. I'm tired of hearing about the contract and his play right now, I'm tired of his play right now. This contract, however, will be judged years from now, not right now.

Fair statement. And I would not sound quite as whinny, if I was not answering everyone.......but I have been consistent on Pettersson.....I think he is super skilled.

• Cheers 1

Impressive win by the Canucks in game 3.  Canucks played at kind of their half speed and beat the Preds at their own game.  It will be interesting to see if the Canucks try this again or play their total game, speed and puck possession game, in game 4.  I hope they play their total game as they will have their legs on Sunday and it's more fun to watch.  The Predators will try again to pin Hughes to the end boards, Hughes/Hronek will elude the forecheck and spring multiple out manned attacks into the offensive zone.  

As for Petey, he's just getting warmed up and he won't pass up an open net shot again.  You can see it on the PP, Nashville is still worried about him shooting it, if he's open he'll be firing for goal.  That'll mean on top of all the things Petey does well, such a complete player making smart decisions all over the ice, Petey will be getting his points soon.   He's a complete player, not just a passer, not just a sniper, not just a shut down centre, the player is all world and fans criticizing the signing should get their heads out of their asses.    

So the Preds keep Petey off the scoreboard and out comes Miller, better keep your head up, he's been the toughest player on the ice, he'll beat you down, he'll shut you down, he'll talk you down,  he'll make the perfect pass or will shoot and score.  He's a total player as well, different than Petey, but maybe even more lethal.  Over the coming years Petey will begin to emulate some of Miller's toughness. 

Next over the boards, the good sized verteran centre and proven point getter, Lindholm.  Another complete player.  

This whole team has bought in, they are well coached and doing their jobs.  There's a lot of wins to come for this lineup.  Best centre depth since the Canucks ran Sedin, Kesler, Malholtra down the middle.  And then some... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silent Man said:

Josi played  over 30 min last game .

Forsberg, O'Reilly - over 25 min, McDonagh 25 min less 1 sec.

Is this sustainable?

They'll tire themselves out with that high minute while the Canucks are more balanced on ice time allocate   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

What kind of a sick pos films this instead of keeping the cat away from the owl? People are such crap. 

I think the cat was in more danger than the owl... It also looked like a sanctuary of sorts. You don't just walk up to an owl like that in the wild, nevermind in an area with a domesticated cat

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

I won't look based on your response.

I hate people when they'd rather TikTok than intervene in stuff. I can only imagine (but don't want an image that'll stick)

It's safe, nothing happens.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Petey is 11.6 next season. He’s 7ish this year and is playing fine. We are winning. 

This is such an irrelevant argument. He signed a new deal which should be a more current representation of his play, never mind that he will be the 4th highest paid forward I think. And even if you want to use his 7.5AAV his isn't living up to that either. We gave him a difference maker contract, he needs to be one for this team to succeed - I think that's were a lot of the angst come from. We should be able to get by Nashville, but I don't see us getting by Edmonton without Petey playing like his former self. He is one of our most important players, the team won't succeed (which is what we all want) without him playing at least decently.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, coolboarder said:

They'll tire themselves out with that high minute while the Canucks are more balanced on ice time allocate   

And I've said it a few times now... I firmly believe NAS is gonna start feeling flu symptoms in games 4 and 5.

• Cheers 1

Just now, JIAHN said:

Fair statement. And I would not sound quite as whinny, if I was not answering everyone.......but I have been consistent on Pettersson.....I think he is super skilled.

He is skilled. My hunch, purely speculative, he didn't apply himself properly in training this off season. Purely speculative. He's a famous, good looking young man with a wallet full of cash and maybe, maybe, he got busy with distractions last summer. If this is the case, the competitor EP is, I doubt it happens again. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd almost just have Podz and Mik with Petey since those 2 have some decent size.  Then move Hogs back to the 4th line to feast on Nashville's bottom part of their roster.

I’d try that too. I just think it’s time to throw Podz into the lineup 

45 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

So, honestly Alf. If he plays like this next year in the playoffs, you will be fine with that, hey? It is just this year, because, you know, he is only making 7.35, so he does not have to play like a 11.6 player......so you are good with that?

It’s not next year; it’s now. We are winning. 
JR knows there’s no winning a Cup without an elite centre, like Petey. He’s liked Petey long term so we can have many chances to win the Cup. 
Kneel to the Empties. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

There are so many reasons why pre-Tocc Millers emotions would have boiled over. The guy and his family clearly liked it here, and mgmt at the time kept fielding a crap team with bad coaching. Lots of guys were not putting in close to 100%. No kidding thats going to suck for a competitive guy. Most guys would just float and not give two shits and then bolt first chance they get. 

But put him in a situation where things are aligned like they are now? he's clearly pretty happy and that energy he brings is huge. 

As others have noted, MacKinnon is way more extreme than JT in expressing negativity when things aren't going his way.  He's also even more of a game-breaking talent than JT.  I don't see his teammates (or the morality squad on this board) tut-tutting about him because he helps them win.  They accept that they get the whole package with him, including the anger and anti-social behaviour.  Sure, JT may have crossed the line a time or two but he mostly channels his bad energy pretty constructively.  I don't get the harping on him and think we're incredibly lucky to have him on our team. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

You have to go big picture though.

You consider what he HAS done (before he made the big bucks) and project what he's likely to do again.

To take a snippet when he's obviously "off" isn't fair. And his contract hasn't kicked in yet...time will tell. Just as people were wanting to write JT off down the road....let's see what happens.

Petey is his biggest critic and his mental game is likely his biggest hurdle. Experience will help with that.

Yes, he needs to do more.

And probably will.

58 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Listen, players don't always progress in a straight line. I don't think anyone is saying EP isn't struggling, it's fairly obvious. But ffs I'm tired of the wah wah wah. He has for the most part shown signs of being an elite player since his first Calder winning season. Heck, even the first half of this season the hockey world was dumping on the Canucks for not getting this extension done. Sucks he struggling right now but his contract isn't based on his last three months played. Give this time, it's not always straight lines. Can you figure out something less obvious to dump on than EP's struggles ffs.

Once Petey find his confidence with his game in regarding to shooting at its highest level, we'll never look back.  The crowd will go wild if he ever scored like in NYR, NYI game earlier in the year, that is the confidence he will ever need in a playoff cook presser to get him going.  All he has to do is find one play, one moment just to get his boost.  If it leads him to score in bunches, great for us and we'll be off and running for rest of the playoffs.   It can happen at any moment as we have seen it happened to other great players in history that were struggling and all of the sudden find his game in the playoffs.   

I don't believe that any injury that Petey has secretly will stop him from doing this.  It is more of a mentality when he had an open net opportunity and he opted to pass in game 2 which is kind of mentality issue.  Maybe he didn't believe that his shot would have beaten that downed Siaros.   We need to be patient with his game and let the coach do its work on Petey by encouraging him to shoot more when next opportunity present by itself. 

I think he is looking for tic-tac-toe plays more often than his simple shots will beat any goaltender in the world with his action in the season and playoffs so far.  That is the reason why he's struggling right now.

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

Double Bubble luck...you should keep it up, at least until Demko is back.   We sure could use four more wins in a row .. Something was looking after us in the 3rd, best period the Preds of had all series.   Karma balance from Game 2, we could use some of that good luck. 

interestingly, roberts attended game 1, and then did the GDT for game 3, both wins. 👀👀👀👀👀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2