Demko named as Vezina Finalist

HKSR

He won't win it, but a nomination could help towards him winning in the future if he can stay healthy 

Reputation plays a role in even getting nominated so it's a good first step 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Well deserved. Even without the injury, I don't think he would've won, for no reason other than that I'm pretty sure Quinn will win the Norris, and it feels like a bit of an oxymoron for a goalie to win the Vezina if his D-man wins the Norris. But congrats to Demko regardless. There is no doubt he's one of the best in the league.

This bugs me every year.  They call him a finalist, but there's no final vote.  There's just one vote, it already happened, and he was in the top three.

But still, congrats to Demko for being a top-three vote getter!

• Like 1

Should be a shoe-in for 2nd place. Hell of a year. If I'm not mistaken, he'll be the third Canuck after McLean and Luongo to finish 2nd in Vezina voting.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

This bugs me every year.  They call him a finalist, but there's no final vote.  There's just one vote, it already happened, and he was in the top three.

Yeah, the wording contributes to the mistaken idea some fans have that voting continues after the regular season ends.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, the wording contributes to the mistaken idea some fans have that voting continues after the regular season ends.

Exactly my point.  The wording of the announcement makes it sound like three goalies were nominated and that the vote will be among those three goalies and that the vote hasn't happened yet.  It's totally misleading.

6 hours ago, hockeyville88 said:

Well deserved. Even without the injury, I don't think he would've won, for no reason other than that I'm pretty sure Quinn will win the Norris, and it feels like a bit of an oxymoron for a goalie to win the Vezina if his D-man wins the Norris. But congrats to Demko regardless. There is no doubt he's one of the best in the league.

I kind of disagree with that correlation, seeing as the Norris tends to go the the defensive player who plays most like a forward (top scorer) most of the time. Almost should lend to a boost in Vezina votes. That said I still think Demmer is runner up.

One more shut out might have made the difference. He would have had one more shut out if Canucks challenged when they should have.

I’m talkng about November 2, 2023, with the final score Canucks 10, San Jose 1. 

Zetterland scored with a couple mins left. Demko right away went to refs saying he was interfered with, Tocchet and management kept it “classy” and didn’t challenge it. It would have given Demko another shut out.

It was clear interference by #18, Zadina. 
Just my take. Congrats, Demmer! Get healthy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hockeyville88 said:

GMs vote for the Vezina, hockey writers the other stuff.     Pretty sure they will vote for whom they think is the best, and have a pretty good idea of the teams infront of them as well.   Wins and losses are for sure a team stat, to varying degrees.     What system does the team play, how many shots does that goalie face, and how many are high quality ..   Tochett came in lowered the number of shots, and the number of high danger shots.   That helped Demko's stats, as did the players Allvin brought in.     Demko also had a great season too.    His "bad games", simply average.     Can't say that about any other goalie we've had get recognized.   Usually even the best, have one or two terrible games. 

Edited by IBatch

19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Like it the way it is.   Creates some mystery.   Even though it appears to be Hellebuyck's by a landslide since Demko was injured.   If not, it would have been awfully close. 

19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Should be a shoe-in for 2nd place. Hell of a year. If I'm not mistaken, he'll be the third Canuck after McLean and Luongo to finish 2nd in Vezina voting.

We've been blessed with good goaltending.    Going from McLean (and even he couldn't keep up with the butterfly phase) to Luongo wasn't easy.   Since then, it's been aces.  

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Like it the way it is.   Creates some mystery.   Even though it appears to be Hellebuyck's by a landslide since Demko was injured.   If not, it would have been awfully close. 

I have no problem with how they do the voting and the timing, but don't label them as finalists, implying there's still a vote to come. Just say something like the top 3 or something, showing that the vote is already done, but displaying the top three vote getters.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I have no problem with how they do the voting and the timing, but don't label them as finalists, implying there's still a vote to come. Just say something like the top 3 or something, showing that the vote is already done, but displaying the top three vote getters.

You bet it's a good way to do the voting. 

Given they do the same with everyone else, it's kind of implied that these are the finalists as in the top three.    Aside from the Art Ross.   It creates some mystery, and is kind of fun for teams that have some in the running for different ones.   Saying these are "the top 3 vote getters " or similar wording to that, just doesn't have the same ring to it.  

The system is as transparent as ever now,  believe if you want to, you can even find out who voted for who.   That keeps some of the homerism out of it.   Sure local beat writers likely follow certain players more, voting for five guys is good for us fans, it gives you an idea where these hockey professionals, see the competition.    As for the GMs don't mind that they get vote for the goalies either.   With 32 GMs it's a big enough spread to keep it honest.  

Ferraro said recently that they weren't allowed to talk at all about whom they vote for, but did indicate that he believes the Norris is QHs to lose this year which is about as much as i've ever heard any of these guys talk about it.     The part that I really like and find valuable as a fellow hockey history enthusiast, is where they rank individual LWs, C's and RWs for that make up the first and second string all-star berths.    Guys like JT Miller get some due, despite likely never going to win any hardware.    It also helps with between era stuff.   If a guy in his 30's is ranked ahead of stars in their 20's who are on the way to the HHOF it tells a story about who's the best of the best,  as much or even more then simply goals and apples.    How many times a person receives these votes creates a big picture on who was the best for a certain sample size as well, and for how long they were great.   Ray Borque is almost as gaudy as Gretzky in this regard. 

The one thing that maybe is worthy of adding, is a Rod Langway award, to acknowledge the defensive defenseman the same way Gainey inspired the Selke.   Aside from that, it's a good thing to acknowledge a player for all their hard work leading up to, and to celebrate the season(s) they win the hardware.    There are no Mario Lemieux's, Gretzky or Orr's these days, but there sure is a healthy amount of competition for the Hart, Art Ross, Norris, Selke and even Lady Byng these days.    McDavid looked to have a stranglehold on the Art Ross.   Great time to be a fan. 

Edit:  Curious whom the Hart finalist's will be.   Thinking Mckinnon, Kucherov and Hellebuyck. 

Edited by IBatch

On 4/29/2024 at 7:37 PM, Goalie29 said:

I think it's because the voting is already ranked?

Ideally you would want everyone to vote again once the top 3 are announced but I guess there are some logical issues with that 

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I think it's because the voting is already ranked?

Ideally you would want everyone to vote again once the top 3 are announced but I guess there are some logical issues with that 

Sure, it's a ranked ballot, but it's still only one ballot.  I don't have any issue with the process.  My issue is with how they announce them as finalists when there are no finals to be a finalist of.

It would be more honest to announce them as the top three vote getters and to tune in to see who the winner is.

• Cheers 1