[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Game 5

Posted (edited)

I'm overtired from being up too late but feeling deflated. This was one of the least physical games. 

I've never liked cheering/jeering the other team's goalie. If he did something insane like binnington sure but better to cheer on your own team. Finally saw bandwagon action on social media which annoyed me but so be it.

Our structure is good for defence but we  need scoring. A simple hard road game of shoot, drive and chase rebounds might be all we need. Arty might struggle to do 3 games though, i hope desmith is ready.

Least it wasn't a long OT game

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny said:

These challenges can go both ways, they are cut and dry

however, im disappointed that the refs didnt review them without a challenge like they have in the past.

I also think that Tocchet wants the guys to win outright, not by technicalities as seen by his complete lack of ever challenging 

I don't understand why the NHL doesn't have a rule starting in the playoffs that ALL goals get reviewed? It shouldn't be up to a coaches challenge.

I don't blame the coach at all. Sure if we get the call the goal gets waived off. But unless its OBVIOUS, the risk is not only does the goal stand, but you get yet another penalty which might mean you are down TWO goals. Don't understand why this is a hard concept for some? Just because YOU think it shouldn't count. Do you trust the people in Toronto to make that choice? I sure don't.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

everything about this game was awful.. again we made 0 adjustments to getting more shots on net.. heck we didn't even get much shots attempt period.. they needed to man up and challenge that goal even if it's 50/50 and they ain't 100% sure.. if they win the challenge?? we prolly win the series.. if they lose the challenge? big deal man up and kill the fuking penalty. some will disagree.. but we are lucky we ain't down 3-2 in the series and we are playing a offensively challenged nashville team..

If Nashville is offensively challened....what are we...offensively mega-challenged?????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I don't understand why the NHL doesn't have a rule starting in the playoffs that ALL goals get reviewed? It shouldn't be up to a coaches challenge.

I don't blame the coach at all. Sure if we get the call the goal gets waived off. But unless its OBVIOUS, the risk is not only does the goal stand, but you get yet another penalty which might mean you are down TWO goals. Don't understand why this is a hard concept for some? Just because YOU think it shouldn't count. Do you trust the people in Toronto to make that choice? I sure don't.

Because they don't want 4 hour games.  And it wouldn't have mattered anyway, that goal would stand regardless 

Pretty simple, Canucks need to score more goals.  Hello Miller, Petey and Hoglander.

Silovs was very good, no issues with goaltending

Preds did what they had to do to win, Forsberg acting like he got shot, pushing the goalie in to get the goal, sneaky hooks on our players, etc. Canucks played like they thought they would win no problem. They got a surprise I guess. Hopefully they all get on the same page next game. Petey plays like he doesn't even deserve his current salary, never mind the boatload of cash they're going to give him later. If he's injured, then he's been injured since February. I call bullshit.

Hope it goes better on Friday

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Pretty simple, Canucks need to score more goals.  Hello Miller, Petey and Hoglander.

Preds did what they had to do to win, Forsberg acting like he got shot, pushing the goalie in to get the goal, sneaky hooks on our players, etc. Canucks played like they thought they would win no problem. They got a surprise I guess. Hopefully they all get on the same page next game. Petey plays like he doesn't even deserve his current salary, never mind the boatload of cash they're going to give him later. If he's injured, then he's been injured since February. I call bullshit.

Don't shift blame on that game, the Canucks did it to themselves with undisciplined play.  Forsberg got a stick right in the face, are you saying that shouldn't be a penalty anymore?

The cutesy drop pass entry on the PP is frustrating. 

Dump and chase with speed through the neutral zone. Brock and Miller enter the zone with speed to forecheck. Petey middle ice to support.

Put Z on the PP with Hughes. They cover the boards to allow the forecheck a simple blue line pass or retrieve a clearing attempt. 

If they gain zone control, Z floats to the net and you have Hughes run QB with Miller and Pete at the hash marks with Boeser roving. 

Very simple and cannot be worse than what’s happening. 

Biggest question mark is if Brock has the speed to forecheck like that. If not, Hoggy or Garland can. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

The Preds are a team of divers. The amount of embellishment that they've shown in this series is nothing short of embarrassing. Zadorov was the best part of yesterdays game. Not only was his goal absolutely sublime, but he made his presence felt all over the ice. And then he rightfully and tactfully called out the garbage officiating. Not only does he need to be re-signed by the Canucks, but he should be given an A.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Don't shift blame on that game, the Canucks did it to themselves with undisciplined play.  Forsberg got a stick right in the face, are you saying that shouldn't be a penalty anymore?

I agree, they blew it

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

The Preds know how to play up to the refs. The Preds have been cross checking the Canucks all series, but the Canucks take it and play through it, whereas the gutless Preds embellish and the refs lap it up like the dogs they are. 

No doubt the power play was pathetic though. That's the biggest issue. All that talent, yet nothing to show for it. I do think that Hughes was solid yesterday, and was distributing the puck well on the PP, the play seemed to die as soon as Pettersson got the puck though. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

How on earth did Tocchet not challenge that first goal.  In Tampa the previous night the bolts had two goals called back where the goalie was slightly nudged.  Silovs was pushed back into the net.  Brain fart Tocchet,  On to the next one. Go Canucks Go.

• ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, stawns said:

This team isn't yet in the same realm as the 2011 team, imo

Probably not.  But that 2011 team could have lost in round 1.  And they never won another round after 2011.  Margin of victory and defeat is slim.  

• Vintage 1

Just now, Bell said:

How on earth did Tocchet not challenge that first goal.  In Tampa the previous night the bolts had two goals called back where the goalie was slightly nudged.  Silovs was pushed back into the net.  Brain fart Tocchet,  On to the next one. Go Canucks Go.

The puck was in regardless and if anything it was Blueger who fell into Silovs, not a Pred.  There's a very slim chance that gets overturned and then the Canucks are back on the pk immediately after giving up the tying goal 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Probably not.  But that 2011 team could have lost in round 1.  And they never won another round after 2011.  Margin of victory and defeat is slim.  

Exactly. The team was great, until they weren't, and that was Game 7 in Vancouver when they went out with a whimper. Too many fans harken back to that time and ignore all the warts that team had. After 2011, they declined and should have been dismantled in 2013, right down to the studs. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

The puck was in regardless and if anything it was Blueger who fell into Silovs, not a Pred.  There's a very slim chance that gets overturned and then the Canucks are back on the pk immediately after giving up the tying goal 

It appears the guy shoves his stick into Silovs and shoves him into the net.  It's a new day just seemed like an odd play to me not to challenge.  You are indeed correct as in our luck it would have remained a goal and been on the PK

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 24K said:

I would agree but he literally did this once and came back blazing the next season. There is history there. 

For the record, I never said he would be fine in the playoffs or it was just a slump. He was playing like crap all season. I thought he would be better once the contract distraction is out of the way but clearly something else is distracting him. 

No he has never been this bad. 1 goal in the last 17 games. He has slumped to a 50pt pace before a few times, and then game back to a pt a game. Even during those slumps he was generating a lot more. But this is nuts. This isn't a slump. Clearly there's much more at play.

2 minutes ago, Bell said:

And when Toronto says it's a good goal, and Nashville scores on the new powerplay and we're down two goals you'd be happier he challenged?

People on here would be roasting him alive. I don't trust the league off ice officials. None of the calls were obvious enough to challenge to go our way. End of story.

It's like going for two points on a convert vs. the extra point kick. Coaches will generally take the safer option. It's not just Tocc. I'm pretty sure our own coaches were looking at the play to see.

The best option is  all goals in the playoffs get reviewed. Then there's no risk, and no need to make a coaches challenge. Then let the chips fall where they may.

5 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Back in the 1982 NHL playoffs, the Isles got by the Pens in the 1st round in OT in the series clinching game.  Imagine if it was the Pens who scored in OT (remember, this was before Mario was drafted by the Pens).  It might be the beatable Pens the Canucks faced in the Cup Finals in 1982.  

Or of course if Lafayette didn't just hit the post....😵

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. The team was great, until they weren't, and that was Game 7 in Vancouver when they went out with a whimper. Too many fans harken back to that time and ignore all the warts that team had. After 2011, they declined and should have been dismantled in 2013, right down to the studs. 

Juice said it just a few days ago regarding the GM 7 victory vs Hawks.  They were expecting to be let go if they lose that round.  3-0 series lead, blew the lead in game 7 in the final min while on a PP.  Would have been one of the biggest choke job in NHL history, and certainly Nux history.  

Bottom line is, just enjoy this.  They are trying their best despite lot of adversity, losing their Vezina caliber goalie, star center struggling, star D man getting pounded every game.  I have faith they will get it done this round.  

• Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Preds know how to play up to the refs

Canucks should learn how to do this

Lots of blame can go around, but I believe it's lack of scoring from the "stars". Look at what the Avs did to Hellebuyck and the Jets, (aside from Game 1) the Avs scored 5-6 goals a game. What would the Canucks do with that? More goals please.

• Vintage 2

Tuesday’s game had too many slap passes by Canucks to just to get it through on new angles. Preds shot blocking got too much in their heads. Just shoot it on net when you get the chance and get greasy rebounds.

46 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Overall this could be a positive learning experience for the group. They have to know that they really have to 'earn' that 4th win (fight through non calls and a desperate team).

I'd also swap out PDG for Podkolzin.

That should have been done as of game 3.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Slegr said:

Tuesday’s game had too many slap passes by Canucks to just to get it through on new angles. Preds shot blocking got too much in their heads. Just shoot it on net when you get the chance and get greasy rebounds.

Hard to get shots on net when the press block everything isn't it?  I'm not sure why they didn't use plays like the 3-2 goal in game 4 more often

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Juice said it just a few days ago regarding the GM 7 victory vs Hawks.  They were expecting to be let go if they lose that round.  3-0 series lead, blew the lead in game 7 in the final min while on a PP.  Would have been one of the biggest choke job in NHL history, and certainly Nux history.

Interesting.

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Bottom line is, just enjoy this.  They are trying their best despite lot of adversity, losing their Vezina caliber goalie, star center struggling, star D man getting pounded every game.  I have faith they will get it done this round.  

I thought the team was raging in the 1st and looked deadly. They had Nashville under siege at one point, peppering Saros with shots. He was insanely good, and kept his team in the game, no doubt. Hughes looked really good yesterday, very poised. The defence in general was pretty solid, especially Zadorov. I had faith that they could take the series yesterday but am not so sure now that they're heading back down to Shatsville. 

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

I’d be willing to bet Petey is dealing with a knee problem I don’t see him stride hard much or move laterally like normal, nor is he stepping into his shots at all. Wouldn’t be surprised when playoff over we hear something about ACL MCL

That's such a lame thing that teams do in the playoffs.

As soon as a teams knocked out, they go straight to the media and list all the players playing with injuries. They use it as an excuse and to make the fans feel so impressed that a player did so much under such duress. Doesn't make a player look "tough" to me, just looks like an excuse after the fact. Who knows if half those injuries are even true, or if a player is trying to save face.

I could 100% see this happen with Petey. Just say he was playing injured so fans relax a bit.