[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Game 5

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Back in the 1982 NHL playoffs, the Isles got by the Pens in the 1st round in OT in the series clinching game.  Imagine if it was the Pens who scored in OT (remember, this was before Mario was drafted by the Pens).  It might be the beatable Pens the Canucks faced in the Cup Finals in 1982.  

Or of course if Lafayette didn't just hit the post....😵

Of all the times we needed a Bure goal or two it was Game 7.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Canucks should learn how to do this

Lots of blame can go around, but I believe it's lack of scoring from the "stars". Look at what the Avs did to Hellebuyck and the Jets, (aside from Game 1) the Avs scored 5-6 goals a game. What would the Canucks do with that? More goals please.

As Zadorov said yesterday:

“I feel like, it's the NHL playoffs (and) every person on the ice should be sharp, not just the players,” Zadorov said of the penalty call on Joshua. “I don't know what Dakota is supposed to do? He's backchecking, finishing the guy. (Evangelista has) been dodging hits for five games straight. You’ve got to protect yourself. I'm trying to find the words so I don't get fined $25,000. Obviously, the players are responsible for what they do on the ice. But also there's a few other people on the ice.”

The team needs to score for sure. No excuses for that. And scoring should be coming from the big guns, yet the most expensive one (as of this summer) is a ghost. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I’m not seeing a ton of mentions to what I think caused the travesty in the third; the absolutely stupid boarding penalty (again) from Joshua. The Canucks had the momentum from the goal and were looking good… and that penalty just sucked the wind right out of it. Naturally, the Preds score on it and we know how it went from there.

We can argue challenge / Blueger, but the game never should have been there to begin with. 

Scorers need to score. Perfect plays in the playoffs are total anomalies. Garbage and seeing eye shots are all you get. 

Canucks also (Joshua particularly) need to stop taking really needless stupid penalties. I get the ‘hooking call on a partial break’ or the ‘bury an open guy beside the open net as the puck arrives’ - goal stoppers. But Miller’s hook 170 feet from the Canuck net, Joshua’s dumbass boarding and even the high stick to a degree… the refs want to give us the gears, don’t give them the chance.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

Don't shift blame on that game, the Canucks did it to themselves with undisciplined play.  Forsberg got a stick right in the face, are you saying that shouldn't be a penalty anymore?

Likely talking about the crosscheck that forsberg got an oscar for

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

I’m feeling better about going into game 6 than I was going into game 5, Nashville won’t be coming off of a humiliating loss any more so they probably won’t have the same level of determination, and this current Canucks group has experience playing in their first elimination game together in a normal playoff setting. It’s not a guaranteed win by any means but I like their chances better in game 6. 

58 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

id try these lines next game to see if we can get a spark going for Petey:

Pettersson      Miller             Boeser
Hoglander       Lindholm      Garland
Suter               Joshua          Mikheyev

Joshua            Lindholm      Garland         
Hoglander       Blueger        Mikheyev

PDG                 Suter            Lafferty

3 minutes ago, brownky said:

I’m not seeing a ton of mentions to what I think caused the travesty in the third; the absolutely stupid boarding penalty (again) from Joshua. The Canucks had the momentum from the goal and were looking good… and that penalty just sucked the wind right out of it. Naturally, the Preds score on it and we know how it went from there.

We can argue challenge / Blueger, but the game never should have been there to begin with. 

Scorers need to score. Perfect plays in the playoffs are total anomalies. Garbage and seeing eye shots are all you get. 

Canucks also (Joshua particularly) need to stop taking really needless stupid penalties. I get the ‘hooking call on a partial break’ or the ‘bury an open guy beside the open net as the puck arrives’ - goal stoppers. But Miller’s hook 170 feet from the Canuck net, Joshua’s dumbass boarding and even the high stick to a degree… the refs want to give us the gears, don’t give them the chance.

The only mentions are from people who think it's ok to hit from behind.  If that were a Canuck player, those same people would have been screaming for 5 and if it was just a minor, it's because the refs and league are all against the Canucks

Same story, regardless of circumstance with that crew

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Likely talking about the crosscheck that forsberg got an oscar for

That one I could agree a little more on, though it was still a dumb penalty to take

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

That would be really bad if they had an ACL/MCL. Doesn't that kind of knee issue take months to heal from? Mik had that no? 

I’ve watched this Kid play since Timra all of his original Habits have disappeared about 20-25 games ago and if you really analyze his game he is unwilling to really torque on his knees in which knees do effect shot I doubt he has multiple injuries my best guess is knee and yeah ACL MCL depending on the severity you’ll get a pinching to stabbing pain when you use it so matter how hard.

4 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

Joshua            Lindholm      Garland         
Hoglander       Blueger        Mikheyev

PDG                 Suter            Lafferty

Bench Mik or PDG and put in Podz. Even if he doesn't score. Another big body to either screen, or bash around Nashville will be welcomed.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Bench Mik or PDG and put in Podz. Even if he doesn't score. Another big body to either screen, or bash around Nashville will be welcomed.

Mik had a very good game yesterday, not sure why RT would take him out

9 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

This series (5 games)

Miller - 1 goal

Pettersson - 0 goals

Hughes - 0 goals

Hronek - 0 goals

Garland - 0 goals

Hoglander - 0 goals

This is a problem. 

Don't worry all of them will get a goal in Nashville. Saros will get lit

6 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

This series (5 games)

Miller - 1 goal

Pettersson - 0 goals

Hughes - 0 goals

Hronek - 0 goals

Garland - 0 goals

Hoglander - 0 goals

This is a problem. 

Miller                  5 assists   plus 3

Pettersson         2 assists  minus 3

Hughes              5 assists  minus 1

Hronek               0 assists minus 3

Garland              2 assists    even 0

Hogs                  0 assists  minus 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

That one I could agree a little more on, though it was still a dumb penalty to take

It was a routine play that happens 20 a game

but talking about the reffing, aside from the highstick, the other canucks penalties were soft, even Joshua (players that turtle like that is just as bad as diving), there were multiple missed calls for tripping 10 feet from the ref and both being around the play

if they call soft penalties thats find, but call it both ways

and for the highstick that didn’t get called was the right call not a missed call, the nashville players head was at waist height

and to your previous point on how the team needed to play better Youre taking away from the fact Soros stood on his head and was the biggest reason the score wasnt 4-2

4 minutes ago, Johnny said:

It was a routine play that happens 20 a game

but talking about the reffing, aside from the highstick, the other canucks penalties were soft, even Joshua (players that turtle like that is just as bad as diving), there were multiple missed calls for tripping 10 feet from the ref and both being around the play

if they call soft penalties thats find, but call it both ways

and for the highstick that didn’t get called was the right call not a missed call, the nashville players head was at waist height

and to your previous point on how the team needed to play better Youre taking away from the fact Soros stood on his head and was the biggest reason the score wasnt 4-2

Joshua hit him from behind, right in the numbers about 2 feet from the boards.  Hrs lucky he didn't get more than that.

Saros absolutely played phenomenal, particularly in the first when van was dominating.  But the preds definitely outplayed van in 2 & 3.  

That said, they played far better than the did in games 3 and 4

Yes, they have to score more. Yes, Pettersson is not seeming like the guy before the Allstar break and obviously Hughes is on the ice for 50 / 60% of games, but;

Seems to me, the Nashville coach, for the time being, is out coaching Tocchet. It's  strange how many Canuck plays were so easily broken up.

Rick has to figure how to get the five players on for the right job. We had home ice. should have been a slam dunk last night.

Preds played hard in the Canuck's zone, that's the aggressiveness that won them the game.

I'm not going to whine about the bad officiating, by this time, the Canucks know what they can get away with.        

1 hour ago, Theo5789 said:

It's all about playoff revenue. Going to game 7 means more money rolling in for the team and businesses.

How else can you explain why we haven't challenged any questionable goal?

In game 3, could've preserved a shutout, but didn't want to risk a PP being still up 2-1 at that point. Makes some sense.

Game 4, goal putting us down 3-1, should've been a challenge. Pretty obvious kicking motion. Worked out in the end, get a pass.

Game 5, Silovs pushed into towards the net. Why no challenge?

No home playoffs for 9 years. And as another poster said, this probably isn't our year anyway, so might as well milk in the money while we can.

Conspiracy aside, go Canucks go!

Losing last night would not even guarantee a Round 1 Home game 7. However, winning last night would guaranteed atleast 2 more home games in Round 2.

Got to give credit to the other team, they play a good defensive system and their goalie played really well.

One area they really excel in is Face Offs.  Looked like the Canucks lost a billion face offs on the PK and the PP which really put them behind.

They will pull this out!  Hopefully they end it on friday!

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Miller                  5 assists   plus 3

Pettersson         2 assists  minus 3

Hughes              5 assists  minus 1

Hronek               0 assists minus 3

Garland              2 assists    even 0

Hogs                  0 assists  minus 2

On a positive note:

Boeser - 4g 1a

Joshua - 2g 2a

Miller - 1g 5a