[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Game 5

Reunite the Lotto line to start the next game and go after them hard. We're the better team with top end talent, time to put our chips all in. No need to try and match their depth because they don't have any, ride our top 6 hard to try and close this out.

8 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I just feel like this fan base is criminally underestimating how good the preds are. 

The Preds are proving their worth, especially Saros. O'Reilly, Forsberg, and Josi are some of the best players in the league. Just wish they didn't dive so much, namely Forsberg. Shouldn't he be tying a damsel to train tracks somewhere?

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd certainly be second guessing the whole situation. The idea of signing in the off-season was probably the best idea, as it would have informed management of who the player really is, when the pressures on. 

Fun fact....petey can be traded in the first year of his deal.  I don't remember seeing a contract structured like this.  Clearly it was a show me situation for the playoffs and petey isn't showing much.  Maybe PA and JR know something we don't.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I just feel like this fan base is criminally underestimating how good the preds are. 

To some degree, I agree.  However, the Canucks are definitely showing a lot of signs of playoff inexperience.  

I still stand by my timeline that this team, with smart moves, is a couple of years from being a real contender.  I said I'd be thrilled with winning a round..........that doesn't look so sure now.  

The Preds have outplayed the Canucks in 4 out of the 5 games, and not by a small margin, but have lucked into three wins in the series.  They need to actually win a game on their own merits to win this series, imo.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Only problem is that they wanted to get a jump on all of the other deals and not wait til offseason and potentially risk some guys like Zadorov and Blueger, etc. going to UFA. 

They did what they did, and I have faith in their methods. I don't think they could've expected Pettersson to be such a non-factor in the playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think we need to get the complete picture. The exit interviews will be interesting when the season ends.

It's a difficult choice. If you move him say at the draft, you could lose out big time, or dodge a bullet.

Maybe Barzal and Dobson and a 1st for Hronek and EP40?

I think Pettey just need better wingers in the long run. 

Something is 100% wrong with him be it injuries or something mental or whatever situation he is going through in his personal life like Brock did for 3 years back there. It will get rectified sooner or later but not these playoffs. 

The bigger issue team wise is he needs a big strong winger that can finish and protect him. Maybe we already have ine in Leki but that needs to be addressed at some point soon. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, ronning4center said:

Fun fact....petey can be traded in the first year of his deal.  I don't remember seeing a contract structured like this.  Clearly it was a show me situation for the playoffs and petey isn't showing much.  Maybe PA and JR know something we don't.

Much like marner, trading a guy with a contract like that will be next to impossible.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, ronning4center said:

I trust their methods. Just hope they see Zadorov and Joshua as priorities, as those two have come to play.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 24K said:

Something is 100% wrong with him be it injuries or something mental or whatever situation he is going through in his personal life like Brock did for 3 years back there. It will get rectified sooner or later but not these playoffs. 

The bigger issue team wise is he needs a big strong winger that can finish and protect him. Maybe we already have ine in Leki but that needs to be addressed at some point soon. 

Lekki is 5’11” and 172 lbs. Not exactly a big strong winger to protect Petey.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 24K said:

For the first time in his career, Petey is facing the defensive scrutiny of being a star player.  Making that kind of adjustment isn't easy and whether he can do that or not is still up in the air.

I think he can, but he's going to have to work hard and get some scoring depth from PA to get there.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I trust their methods. Just hope they see Zadorov and Joshua as priorities, as those two have come to play.

Zads yes....Joshua hasn't been dominant since game 1. Aside form his assist on the OT goal, he is nowhere as effective as he was in reg season (or game one). Kind of invisible unless heading to box. I though he was going to be a playoff monster....nope. He has been a disappointment in my mind.

Edited by BC_Hawk

1 minute ago, steviewonder20 said:

Lekki is 5’11” and 172 lbs. Not exactly a big strong winger to protect Petey.

Why does he need protection?  I don't see physical play or intimidation as affecting his play at all.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

For the first time in his career, Petey is facing the defensive scrutiny of being a star player.  Making that kind of adjustment isn't easy and whether he can do that or not is still up in the air.

I think he can, but he's going to have to work hard and get some scoring depth from PA to get there.

First time in his career? Petterson has always gotten the star attention. The difference now is he doesn't have that next gear nor move to generate offense while receiving it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

I think it’s because you can’t have a NTC in a RFA year.  As I recall, he had 1 year left as RFA.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Why does he need protection?  I don't see physical play or intimidation as affecting his play at all.

Exactly! Lekk just needs to be Petterson's Boeser; finish goals he was setup for. WE can put a Podz or Joshua type on the pother wing for 3m or less.

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Wonder if PA & JR are have second thoughts about signing EP40 now that they've seen his post season abilities in these playoffs???

Star players go through slumps and I have full faith this contract will be consider one of the best contracts in the league when rest is said and done.

I think PA & JR may have second thoughts on not bringing in an additional top 6 winger at the TDL to elevate Petey's play. Petey needed a good winger to play with. I understand, they can't move Tucker Poolman to acquire those additional cap space to make a potential Toffoli trade happen.

Toffoli would've atleast buried half or even 1/3 of the chances Mikheyev got, and the series could be over.

At the end of the day, this is still on Jim Benning. He really screwed up the team cap wise.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Zads yes....Joshua hasn't been dominant since game 1. Aside form his assist on the OT goal, he is nowhere as effective as he was in reg season (or game one). Kind of invisible unless heading to box. I though he was going to be a playoff monster....nope. He has been a disappointment in my mind.

While I do agree he's been somewhat invisible since game 1, he did make a nice play on the game 4 winner which doesn't show up on the score sheet 

That was an incredibly stupid penalty to take last night

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

First time in his career? Petterson has always gotten the star attention. The difference now is he doesn't have that next gear nor move to generate offense while receiving it.

Not like he is now........teams know if they can stop Petey, stopping the Canucks is much easier.  Hrs getting all the best defensive matchups and on the pp, teams are loading up on the right side to neutralize him

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think we need to get the complete picture. The exit interviews will be interesting when the season ends.

It's a difficult choice. If you move him say at the draft, you could lose out big time, or dodge a bullet.

Maybe Barzal and Dobson and a 1st for Hronek and EP40?

If he's playing with an injury, then he shouldn't be, and should be recovering. I know a lot of people think he's been playing injured for a while, but that doesn't make a lick of sense, as management would've had him on LTIR or IR. You don't let a player of his "caliber" play injured. They didn't let Demko play injured, so allowing Pettersson to makes zero sense. 

So, if he's not injured, then it's a mental thing with him, which he needs to deal with. I get the sense that he's a bit of a primadonna who needs a bit of coddling from the coach. Farhan Lalji, in an interview with Gino Reda on TSN, alluded to as much, stating that Tocchet had to coach Pettersson differently than say JT Miller. Something about Pettersson being a little more sensitive to criticism. 

2 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

Star players go through slumps and I have full faith this contract will be consider one of the best contracts in the league when rest is said and done.

I think PA & JR may have second thoughts on not bringing in an additional top 6 winger at the TDL to elevate Petey's play. Petey needed a good winger to play with. I understand, they can't move Tucker Poolman to acquire those additional cap space to make a potential Toffoli trade happen.

Toffoli would've atleast buried half or even 1/3 of the chances Mikheyev got, and the series could be over.

At the end of the day, this is still on Jim Benning. He really screwed up the team cap wise.

I'm glad they didn't.  This isn't a team that's going to beat the contenders, imo.  So not selling off assets for one or two rounds was the smart move

1 minute ago, RJCF96 said:

This isn't a slump; he would have pulled out from that by now. He is simply injuried.....but he plays a great 200' game so doesn't hamper the team when not contributing on Offense. Thus he stays in the lineup and frustrates the fans. 

The team should have shut him down at AS break and pulled a LVGKs; used his LTIR to sign another stud.....then brought him back after surgery/rehab.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

He's been one of the more consistently physical forwards on the team. He's been far more present and purposeful than players earning way more than he is. 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not like he is now........teams know if they can stop Petey, stopping the Canucks is much easier.  Hrs getting all the best defensive matchups and on the pp, teams are loading up on the right side to neutralize him

He's been getting that attention for years. As you said, that's been our MO for years; stop Petey stop canucks. Diff is he doesn't have the wheels to beat the pressure. His skating is way off. Now, thats compounded with lack of confidence.