[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Game 5

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If he's playing with an injury, then he shouldn't be, and should be recovering. I know a lot of people think he's been playing injured for a while, but that doesn't make a lick of sense, as management would've had him on LTIR or IR. You don't let a player of his "caliber" play injured. They didn't let Demko play injured, so allowing Pettersson to makes zero sense. 

So, if he's not injured, then it's a mental thing with him, which he needs to deal with. I get the sense that he's a bit of a primadonna who needs a bit of coddling from the coach. Farhan Lalji, in an interview with Gino Reda on TSN, alluded to as much, stating that Tocchet had to coach Pettersson differently than say JT Miller. Something about Pettersson being a little more sensitive to criticism. 

Who do we put out there if we shelve him? Any replacement would be no better in a 200' game.

Once again, he is not a liability out there....just not producing on offense. RT can tolerate that.

6 hours ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

How do you explain the way he was playing before and after the Minni game? He was on a 100+ point clip, scoring at will, taking games over, then poof? Nobody loses their game overnight. There are injuries, even injuries that will require surgery that players play through. Petey played through a damaged wrist that robbed him of his shot a few hears ago. You can play through a sports hernia. Last year Mik was playing through a torn knee ligament until the team, knowing the playoffs were out of reach shut him down. Petey obviously cares, I'm sure he's doing his best, and Tocc knows he's doing his best or he would sit him like he has others who were not playing up to snuff Instead of playing him so much. There is now a lot of speculation among the media insiders that Petey has been playing hurt. I doubt its a wrist, because he's still taking faceoffs when he didnt do that the last time, it's more likely something that has robbed him of his shot but can be managed with painkillers. He would not be the first to play with something like a sports hernia. Unlike the haters around here, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, there is something physical there, nobody on the team, among the coaches, or in management is calling him out as you would expect if it was lack of effort, he's hurt. I doubt it's mental, because this kid has never before wanted for confidence and has always believed in his talent. 

So your telling me we're risking the health of someone we just signed a huge multi year contract by playing him when he's injured?  First, ok let's say, ok I agree, I don't but let's say I did, that is the craziest thing I've ever heard, especially taking into account how long the playoffs could drag on, and it's not like he is someone we have a reg 2-3 year contract at a reg sized cap hit.

That kind of thing is jeopardizing the long term future of a franchise that's been in enough trouble since the beginning. That's just the worst asset management I've ever heard of. 

This doesn't explain the games that he played well in just before the playoffs, some shifts he looked great and others he looked plain lost. 

Explain that to me then, if I'm.wromg I'll admit it but honestly I don't think I'am, I'm just worried he's not a playoff performer like we need him to be, in a big way for that kind of money one should be

He simply looks like his confidence is shattered,.second guesses himself instead of doing what he's normally done. 

I just hope we don't have another LE on the books, before Vancouver LE was a pretty good player and even made some YouTube highlight breakaway goals but something happened to him, his confidence was somehow broken. The only night I ever saw him play that way again was the last game the twins played before retiring, I'm concerned the same thing hasn't happened to EP, I doubt it BUT he sure looks to that way right now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

They were the better team in the 1st, but Nashville took over in the 2nd and most of the third.  They were, however, worlds better than they were in Nashville in 3 & 4

We dominated the first. 2nd was all about the special teams and had no real flow and no significant chances, so yeah I guess they were better at doing nothing of significance. Third was fairly even but still think we carried it before the refs had their say. 

6 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

He's been getting that attention for years. As you said, that's been our MO for years; stop Petey stop canucks. Diff is he doesn't have the wheels to beat the pressure. His skating is way off. Now, thats compounded with lack of confidence.

I dint think so.....I think teams saw him as a great player on a bad team.  So, you're walking over the Canucks anyway, no need to really try and shut him down.  

Now, he's a 100 point guy on z team that's tough to beat, so they make it a point to try and shut him down.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DrJockitch said:

We dominated the first. 2nd was all about the special teams and had no real flow and no significant chances, so yeah I guess they were better at doing nothing of significance. Third was fairly even but still think we carried it before the refs had their say. 

Refs had their say on the obvious high stick or clear hit from behind?  Or both?

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Who do we put out there if we shelve him? Any replacement would be no better in a 200' game.

You don't let an injured player play. You rest an injured player so that they can heal, much like Demko. 

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Once again, he is not a liability out there....just not producing on offense. RT can tolerate that.

He's been a bit of a liability. Numerous times yesterday he'd have the puck and skate into the Preds zone and right into Preds players who would strip him of the puck. A lot of his choices were suspect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

That's such a lame thing that teams do in the playoffs.

As soon as a teams knocked out, they go straight to the media and list all the players playing with injuries. They use it as an excuse and to make the fans feel so impressed that a player did so much under such duress. Doesn't make a player look "tough" to me, just looks like an excuse after the fact. Who knows if half those injuries are even true, or if a player is trying to save face.

I could 100% see this happen with Petey. Just say he was playing injured so fans relax a bit.

The fans should relax a bit. They're overreacting like fucking crazy right now. The kid will become good again. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Refs had their say on the obvious high stick or clear hit from behind?  Or both?

You mean the cross check from Zadorov on Forsberg? Why was that one called, yet the 15 other cross checks to Pettersson, Miller, Hoglander, Hughes and others weren't? Either it's a penalty or it isn't. The high sticking was clearly an infraction, as was the stick in the legs of Pettersson by Sherwood, yet only one was called. 

Consistency would be great from the officials. Pretty much what Zadorov was talking about post game.  

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

You mean the cross check from Zadorov on Forsberg? Why was that one called, yet the 15 other cross checks to Pettersson, Miller, Hoglander, Hughes and others weren't? Either it's a penalty or it isn't. The high sticking was clearly an infraction, as was the stick in the legs of Pettersson by Sherwood, yet only one was called. 

Consistency would be great from the officials. Pretty much what Zadorov was talking about post game.  

That was the only call I thought was a bit sketchy, though he did cross check him.

Other calls don't matter, whataboutism is a sure fire way to get yourself into penalty trouble with undisciplined play.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Mik had a very good game yesterday, not sure why RT would take him out

Because he can't produce any points despite getting to good areas. The guy is an offensive black hole and really doesn't provide much in terms of forecheck and puck retrieval. Horrifically bad off puck when his teammates need support along the wall as well. 

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That one was called caused Forsberg got an Oscar for that performance. 

Maybe we should start acting as well caused that is the only thing that looks to work to get the refs attention. 

• Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, Guntrix said:

Both of Pettersson’s assists were secondary. Not good enough imo. He’s the reason this series is still going. 

He could easily have 5 assists this series had his teammates done something with their grade A chances as well. Should have had 2 last night alone. 

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, stawns said:

It makes it very difficult to have genuine, honest discussions here.  The same people bitching about the Joshua call would be freaking out if that were done to a Canuck player and wasn't called a major penalty, let alone no call at all.

Whataboutism is a sign of the deeply insecure, imo.

Yeah, that's pretty much the conclusion I draw as well. Those who can't take accountability for the situation they find themselves in and just stick their fingers in their ears and desperately claim it's someone else's fault. 

Then they do it again and again. It's surprising a fair number of people actually get through life this way. They actually believe their own bullshit after awhile and basically fabricate their own reality and those around them.

Like just about every game the Canucks had every opportunity to win this game and screwed it up themselves. The reffing is a tertiary concern without any major influence except for the whiners and self absorbers. We scored one freaking goal again, had 20 shots on net, 0-2 on the PP, and went 38% on the dot, and the whiners complain about reffing.

I'm not liking how it seems we can't adapt at all to Nashville's gameplan.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Because he can't produce any points despite getting to good areas. The guy is an offensive black hole and really doesn't provide much in terms of forecheck and puck retrieval. Horrifically bad off puck when his teammates need support along the wall as well. 

That doesn't mean he isn't playing well overall......he had a strong game last night 

It was a tough loss and I'm sure the boys are as disappointed as we all are.....but that's hockey.

I was kind of leaning towards a challenge on the first goal by the Preds, as it looked to me like Nyquist crashing into Silovs was what pushed the puck across the line, but I get why RT didn't risk it.

It all came down to one shot by Carrier that was seeing eye....the Canucks had a few looks from the same position, but didn't get that bit of puck luck. Boeser also had a good luck from right in front, with Arturs on the bench. This time, it didn't go.

Can't get too wrapped up in what went wrong last night.....just move on to the next game in Nashville, with the knowledge that they have won 4 straight games in Music City....

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

The Canucks look like what they are.......a team with little to no playoff experience 

This is an important factor that many Nuck fans have forgotten.  This is the 1st full season

with the new coaching team and quite a number of new players.  At the beginning of the

season, most of us were simply hoping that our team could make the 1st round and get some

playoff experience; if they made it to the 2nd, we would be delirious.

But what a season we have had!  This team played their hearts out and made their way through

a lot of ups and downs.  Now they are playing in the toughest games in their young lives and have

already faced losing their all-star goalie, but are still competing.

Win or lose the 1st round, they are learning the game of playoff hockey.  These are the building

blocks.  Every team goes through it; they have to pay their dues. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, that's pretty much the conclusion I draw as well. Those who can't take accountability for the situation they find themselves in and just stick their fingers in their ears and desperately claim it's someone else's fault. 

Then they do it again and again. It's surprising a fair number of people actually get through life this way. They actually believe their own bullshit after awhile and basically fabricate their own reality and those around them.

Like just about every game the Canucks had every opportunity to win this game and screwed it up themselves. The reffing is a tertiary concern without any major influence except for the whiners and self absorbers. We scored one freaking goal again, had 20 shots on net, 0-2 on the PP, and went 38% on the dot.

I'm not liking how it seems we can't adapt at all to Nashville's gameplan.

This team always have issues with teams that play stingy defense. It is the same thing with LA. Issue with that is we are not a fast team to play fast enough to break that down. 

We are in our DNA a east west team but you really need a quick north south game to break down these kind of teams and we severely lack that kind of players. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think it may be an idea for Pettersson to simply do what he's always done best. Be the trigger man. His shot is awesome as well as deceptive.

I would say 649 again, and it may come to that but Brock and JT are good and we "do" need two scoring lines. Lindholm seems to be adapting

to his new team now, with Petey and a more focused Hoglander, it should work.

Are ya'll really that stressed? I'm disappointed we didn't pull out the win last night, but it's really this simple - we need one more win while Nashville needs two.
We're still in the driver's seat here...

We just need one of our gamebreakers to break the game open. Miller, Boeser, and Hughes have been quite good, but there's another level. Obviously Pettersson playing to his ability would go a long way as well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Wonder if PA & JR are have second thoughts about signing EP40 now that they've seen his post season abilities in these playoffs???

I highly doubt it. It would be pretty dumb of them to pre-emptively panic and base all their thoughts off 5 tough playoff games going into an 8 year deal covering ages 26-33.

The deal was predicated on future value, not 5 rookie playoff games before the contract even kicks in. It would be pretty dumb to assume this is his future playing level. So much :picard:

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Hey where are you set up in town for fortune telling? I'd like to know the future as well! 

Edit: are the Canucks winning the cup this year?

We have plenty of those that are predicting Canucks losing this series in 7. They are your type of providers.

11 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

This is an important factor that many Nuck fans have forgotten.  This is the 1st full season

with the new coaching team and quite a number of new players.  At the beginning of the

season, most of us were simply hoping that our team could make the 1st round and get some

playoff experience; if they made it to the 2nd, we would be delirious.

But what a season we have had!  This team played their hearts out and made their way through

a lot of ups and downs.  Now they are playing in the toughest games in their young lives and have

already faced losing their all-star goalie, but are still competing.

Win or lose the 1st round, they are learning the game of playoff hockey.  These are the building

blocks.  Every team goes through it; they have to pay their dues. 

109% agree on all counts

Anyone else still pissed? It’s not the loss but the lack of generating offense that is so concerning for me

Also, the inconsistency of officiating has to be a major concern for the league. It has been a factor in every game I have watched

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

That doesn't mean he isn't playing well overall......he had a strong game last night 

You can have a million strong games, if you aren't producing results then you're useless. He's been given enough leash to show that he is incapable of providing offense (despite being given 2nd line minutes, 2nd line powerplay time, placement with star players, given grade A scoring chances, etc.). He's been given every opportunity to succeed and can't. If we're lucky we get some type of defensive gain from him. He has 1 goal and 9 assists in his last 55 games averaging second line minutes. It's insane to keep putting that square peg into a round hole. The guy can't pass, can't shoot, can't finish and provides average level defense. The guy is barely an NHL caliber player and could easily be replaced by a younger developing talent. His strongest suit is his PK, but even then he's not aggressively winning battles and dispossessing people. He's just not being a sieve in his role.