[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Game 5

2 minutes ago, nergish said:

He looked absolutely massive in net last night.

The kid is skinny, but he's 6'4 with the huge chesty. 

Considering there's not a lot separating a journeyman backup with experience and a team's top goaltending prospect who's been playing pro hockey for a few years already... I'd give the crease to the guy who's got more room to develop. This experience could be huge for Arty's career going forward, while DeSmith is what he is.

My argument against that would be the team may be more confident and more willing to go on the offense with DeSmith back there. 

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Got owned.  ROR won the key draws. Led to the second goal. Also during Nux PP, which killed a lot of time. 

JT 30%

Lindy 37%

EP 40 %

Bleuger 100%

Gross. Guess I didn't need fancy charts for that one, good ole eye test did well. 

18 minutes ago, luckylager said:

They were playing really well in the 1st then into the 2nd. As soon as Zadorov scored they seemed to fold into a protect the one goal lead style, stopped trying to dictate the flow and got dropped on their heads 

I'm very sad today.

That's why they call it the The Sad Club. 

I was so stoked watching them in the first period.  But anxious because they didn't capitalize on their start.  I thought they played better than they ever had in the series. They were breaking through the Preds defensive wall and getting good chances.  

Just no puck luck or finish. They deserved to be ahead by a couple of goals going into the second. I had an optimism going into the second knowing that all they had to do is keep playing the way they were and they'd win no problem.

I disagree with the synopsis that the Preds have "outplayed the Canucks for 4 of the 5 games.  Absolute hogwash.  I think its more that everyone thought that we would dispatch of the Preds with not much trouble.  That they were the underdogs. Its more that folks are surprised that In fact the two teams are very much even 5 on 5. Even the switchup in goal hasn't been a big factor.   Shots were 20 22 in the last game.  We have created great scoring chances....difference is they finish theirs and we don't.

I really hope its not what some hockey pundits say...that there is so much pressure playing in a Canadian market that it affects a lot of players mentally to where they simply can't be their best because of nerves. Because it that's the case, we'll never win a Cup here.  I refuse to accept that.   Anyways, if they play better on the road then its a good thing next game is in Nashville.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They did. Nashville dominated in the dot. 

Figured. Almost postive if Canucks are even at their average, they win.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

There were at least 20-30 crosschecks in the game. So, like I said, you either call all of them, or none of them. Calling some doesn't look good on the officials, as that calls into account their impartiality. 

All calls matter. Simple as that. Any call can sway the momentum in a game and series. Using "whataboutism" here is a cop out, that conveniently deflects responsibility and accountability away from the culpable party in this instance. 

So in your opinion you think there should have been a minimum of 30 penalties called yesterday for cross-checking alone?

You clearly don't understand the finer parts of the game, and general parts of the game itself. What a horribly lame, and boring sport that would be if you were in charge.

• Vintage 1

Big Zads streaking down the wing was a prime example of the only glaring hole left on this team. Need some size and speed on the wings to back up D. Lazy Jake would of been a rich man on this team if he wasn't such a flake.

21 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I don't buy the Petey needs a tough winger narrative. He just needs a bonafide threat on his line. This is why the lotto line works- D can't cheat and team up on Petey, or Miller, or Boeser. Especially if Hughes is out there.

Hog and especially Mike aren't threats, opponents know this and double - triple up on Petey because they really don't care if Mike somehow gets a puck.

Petey is just not skating as hard has he used to and making those sharp plays. He is lacking the jump he had. His legs looks like spaghetti legs again!!  

4 minutes ago, kilgore said:

That's why they call it the The Sad Club. 

I was so stoked watching them in the first period.  But anxious because they didn't capitalize on their start.  I thought they played better than they ever had in the series. They were breaking through the Preds defensive wall and getting good chances.  

Just no puck luck or finish. They deserved to be ahead by a couple of goals going into the second. I had an optimism going into the second knowing that all they had to do is keep playing the way they were and they'd win no problem.

I disagree with the synopsis that the Preds have "outplayed the Canucks for 4 of the 5 games.  Absolute hogwash.  I think its more that everyone thought that we would dispatch of the Preds with not much trouble.  That they were the underdogs. Its more that folks are surprised that In fact the two teams are very much even 5 on 5. Even the switchup in goal hasn't been a big factor.   Shots were 20 22 in the last game.  We have created great scoring chances....difference is they finish theirs and we don't.

I really hope its not what some hockey pundits say...that there is so much pressure playing in a Canadian market that it affects a lot of players mentally to where they simply can't be their best because of nerves. Because it that's the case, we'll never win a Cup here.  I refuse to accept that.   Anyways, if they play better on the road then its a good thing next game is in Nashville.

Has been a funny series.

I thought we were the better team in the 2 games we lost. 
Game 1 I thought was a pretty close game and they were definitely the better team in game 4. 
So far the better team is what 1-3-1(call game 1 a push)

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

Petey is just not skating as hard has he used to and making those sharp plays. He is lacking the jump he had. His legs looks like spaghetti legs again!!  

He has a funny skating style. He looks like he is on his toes with his butt high for a hockey player (sounds like stripper twerking). 
Most hockey players have their butts down more which I think is why they are so much more stable but also why he can make the cuts he can. 

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

So in your opinion you think there should have been a minimum of 30 penalties called yesterday for cross-checking alone?

You clearly don't understand the finer parts of the game, and general parts of the game itself. What a horribly lame, and boring sport that would be if you were in charge.

Every game would be a full day event!  Instead of first, second and third periods, you could do morning, afternoon and evening shifts

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, farinush said:

-There is no universe where the penalties were 4-2

-Saros and Silovs both played fantastic

-Petey needs to show up. When you get paid $11.6 million you don’t get paid for the attempt, you get paid for results 

- It felt like O’Reilly didn’t lose a single faceoff. That was huge for the Preds

All told it's closer to 15m 🙂

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

In PB's defence, and the point I'm guessing he's making is that crosschecking has to be the most grey area penalty in hockey. Crosschecking and interference could probably be called every shift if the letter of the law is followed. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Y, thought he could have played some games. He's fresh, lot of energy and size in a tight physical series.  

But if they are not going to use him, at least get him some game time now to stay sharp.  If Nux go on to next round, they will need more bodies.   Injuries are likely to happen. 

No I'm in agreement with you. Horrible decision not to use Podz. The tweet was saying he got sent back to Abby, right? Or did I read it wrong? 

14 hours ago, BarneyKook said:

has anyone seen a gif of that Forsberg soccer dive?

heres one from the other day

Refs are definitely getting fooled by Forsberg's antics. He is flopping everywhere to get penalties, and it's working so why not keep doing it?

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Stawns' whole schtick. Can't provide any kind of defense when his original talking points are destroyed or he's fronted with tough questions and screams whataboutism as a fail safe. 

Fair enough, Pears. Just wanted to check before responding. It is the schtick isn’t it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

OK, so being calm and rationale.

What are you basing this on? What metric, or examples or proof do you have that this is something he will snap out of? You're not concerned that our $11m 8 yr player has completely disappeared for almost a third of the season and his first real playoffs?

Most fans are concerned that it's not just a couple bad games, but 3 months of hockey where he has shown zero progression towards being good again. So if it was something he could fix, you'd think it would have been fixed already.

If Petey wasn't signed, and he was an RFA still then fans would be calm. This recent play would significantly affect negotiations, but since his terrible play coincides with exactly when he signed an 8 year deal, there seems to be a lot to be concerned about.

Because we have done the same thing to literally every star player we've had that slumps. Did it with JT Miller most recently, did it with Demko, did it with the Sedins, etc. 

He is a high IQ player who has raw tools, he's still hustling, he's just not getting execution. Execution comes and goes. He will get hot again eventually. Might not be soon, might be next season but he'll get there again. 

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

No I'm in agreement with you. Horrible decision not to use Podz. The tweet was saying he got sent back to Abby, right? Or did I read it wrong? 

Tocch said couple days ago was going to get him some playoff game action if didn’t get in lineup. 
PDG kills penalties and does it well. Simple as that as to why Podz sitting. 
PK has mostly been great. 

I was sooo excited for the playoffs but honestly the way most of the team keeps playing I’ve lost some interest and didn’t even pay full attention after the first period last game.

We have our 3rd string goalie in who’s a rookie kid and is playing amazing for us, and our skaters don’t even look like they’re trying their hardest half the time, besides the usual few. It’s the playoffs, what exactly are they trying to save their energy for. And if guys are tired then put in Podz or Aman. 

• Vintage 2

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Either call it or don’t. If one cross check is allowed, then all should be. Did you need me to phonetically break it down for you?

You clearly don't understand the finer parts of the game, and general parts of the game itself.

Wrong. Nice try though. Consistency has been an issue with officiating for years now regardless of how you feel about it. I get that folks like youself like to think of yourselves as resident experts on the game, but you aren’t. You just love to complain and it permeates every single banal comment you make. Now zip it. 

What a horribly lame, and boring sport that would be if you were in charge.

What a horribly lame, trite and boring world you must reside in to come on here and try to police the comments of others. I guess when you lack control in your own life, you seek it online. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

9 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Because we have done the same thing to literally every star player we've had that slumps. Did it with JT Miller most recently, did it with Demko, did it with the Sedins, etc. 

He is a high IQ player who has raw tools, he's still hustling, he's just not getting execution. Execution comes and goes. He will get hot again eventually. Might not be soon, might be next season but he'll get there again. 

None of those players you mention have come remotely close to what we're talking about as far as absent performance. 

Miller maybe a couple games, although I don't recall even that. Some games where he was ineffective.

Demko maybe a couple games where he left in a soft goal.

I cannot recall a top 6 canuck ever completely disappearing this bad, for this long. How do you call 3 months and a handful playoff games "a slump".

The end of the Green era was a slump, where petey had like 17pts in 27 games. This November and early December was a slump but he was still on the scoresheet every 3rd night.

1 goal in 17 games is not a slump.

Difficult loss last night though it could have gone either way.  One thing about Trotz / Brunette teams - very defensively minded, structured and coherent systems.  Sometimes, you may want to try several different things for a shift or two during a game - see how they may respond just to throw a few wrinkles.  I am by no means an expert but what they said regarding in game adjustments is very true.   Good day to get some rest / heal a few wounds and get back at it on Friday.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, stawns said:

Every game would be a full day event!  Instead of first, second and third periods, you could do morning, afternoon and evening shifts

Haha, the penalty boxes would have to be the same size as the players box. I would still love for these complainers to actually go ref a tournament for a weekend to get some real understanding. They would definitely come back with a different perspective and understand some of the many challenges individual refs and the sport itself faces in these regards. It's not some seldom thought about issue.

28 minutes ago, Rekker said:

In PB's defence, and the point I'm guessing he's making is that crosschecking has to be the most grey area penalty in hockey. Crosschecking and interference could probably be called every shift if the letter of the law is followed. 

Well yeah, exactly, that's why it's not. Hockey would be absolutely stupid and useless then. People like/love hockey because it's tough, it's physical, you can hit, skate, fight, and score. It's a testament to your inner fortitude. The best part of hockey is to will yourself to win those 16 games against all the obstacles, including tough physical play, and yes part of that is full of plays bordering on the letter of the law. That's hockey for crying out loud and always has been.

I get when people argue the validity of a controversial call, sure, but these same people going to extremes and claiming there should have been 30 penalties is where it just gets absurd and pointless. That's not at all based in reality. Hockey has been played and reffed like this for 50+ years.

Maybe this stuff belongs in an alternative reality hockey league thread where there is no hitting, no penalties, and no scoring, just high fives every stoppage, so people don't feel scored on or hard done by. I remember a minor soccer league in Ontario where they played the entire season without the ball to inspire fair play. Maybe they could try that here too. 😂 Haha. I just have to laugh at the logistical gymnastics some folks are capable of. I do wonder why they watch though if they hate it so much.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

None of those players you mention have come remotely close to what we're talking about as far as absent performance. 

Miller maybe a couple games, although I don't recall even that. Some games where he was ineffective.

Demko maybe a couple games where he left in a soft goal.

I cannot recall a top 6 canuck ever completely disappearing this bad, for this long. How do you call 3 months and a handful playoff games "a slump".

The end of the Green era was a slump, where petey had like 17pts in 27 games. This November and early December was a slump but he was still on the scoresheet every 3rd night.

1 goal in 17 games is not a slump.

Miller for half a season refused to backcheck or hustle. Do you only have a short term memory? He got dumped on for almost an entire season and was labelled a locker room cancer lmao. 

• Vintage 1