[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Game 5

2 hours ago, Rekker said:

I didn't check stats, seems to me the Canucks had a rough night on faceoffs? 

Wasn't it that way in game 4, too? Hope they can clean that up, especially on the few PPs they might get.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Miller for half a season refused to backcheck or hustle. Do you only have a short term memory? He got dumped on for almost an entire season and was labelled a locker room cancer lmao. 

Do you tend to rewrite history to fit your narrative. Miller definitely had some issues backchecking and having a tantrum. Got called out on HNIC for it sure... but how is that the same thing as completely disappearing? That's not remotely close to what's happening with Petterson.

Not sure how anyone can argue there's a serious problem here

-in my opinion the reason that the team hasn't complained about the irregular reffing is they know that the league will go even further to left field with their calls.

-Tocchek didn't challenge that 'slide the goalie & puck into the net' because he knew that any 50/50 call would go against the Canadian team. 

-I've noticed too that we get waved out of more faceoffs than the other team.

plus when they do show the actual puck drop, take a look as to which side of the dot the puck is dropped. More often than not it's closer to the Nashville side of the dot. 

-Go ahead and call me a conspirist... I don't care. Until the games are called evenly I'll stand by what I see with my own eyes. This 'game management' bit is a total pile of crapola. If it's a penalty in the first minute of the game, it's a penalty in the last minute, doesn't matter what the score is. Also the embellishment needs to be called more AND those scrums... when 2 guys are 'hugging / shoving /jawing ' and a 3rd man comes in ... there's a penalty for that---3rd man in --CALL IT. If they called it more often it would stop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Have they announced the start time for game 6 yet?

with our luck....noon eastern

2 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

with our luck....noon eastern

Lol 😂 

I guess it depend on if the Oilers close out their series or not?

If we’re the only game that night you’d think they’d push to a later start no?

37 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

No I'm in agreement with you. Horrible decision not to use Podz. The tweet was saying he got sent back to Abby, right? Or did I read it wrong? 

Yes, the Abby Nux are playing in round 2.  He will get games there.  My guess is, as soon as Nux get an injured forward, he will get called up.  Tocchet wants him to play some games. 

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I just feel like this fan base is criminally underestimating how good the preds are. 

Been saying this since before the playoffs started... Preds came in as the hottest team in the NHL... THE HOTTEST... So to expect them to just roll over and play dead dog was never realistic...

That's not to say we shouldn't be doing well against them, but teams coming into the playoffs with wind in their sails do tend to do well... Kings and Blues springs to mind.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • MillerTime 1

19 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Do you tend to rewrite history to fit your narrative. Miller definitely had some issues backchecking and having a tantrum. Got called out on HNIC for it sure... but how is that the same thing as completely disappearing? That's not remotely close to what's happening with Petterson.

The TO tantrum was far worse. Including most of their top players lol

3 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

This isn't a slump; he would have pulled out from that by now. He is simply injuried.....but he plays a great 200' game so doesn't hamper the team when not contributing on Offense. Thus he stays in the lineup and frustrates the fans. 

The team should have shut him down at AS break and pulled a LVGKs; used his LTIR to sign another stud.....then brought him back after surgery/rehab.

Not a fan of using injuries to excuse a player’s bad form, especially if it’s not confirmed by the team.

Petey’s visibly overthinking plays and messing up situations he’d normally excel in. 

5 hours ago, Thundernuts said:

I thought Petterson had a better game last night, but there is still something very off.  Without him scoring, the Canucks have very little chance.  I still think we get by Nashville, but in the next round, without Demko and without EP40 playing at his best, I don’t like our chances. 

Funny I don't think EDM is all that bad or what they are hyped up to be.   More worried about playing another NSH (LA) than EDM. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Wasn't it that way in game 4, too? Hope they can clean that up, especially on the few PPs they might get.

Canucks were great in game 4. Lindholm was 75%! They sucked last night.

7 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Petey put up 89 points in 82 games this season, more than Miller did in the year he got called out. How can Petey be completely invisible posting 89 points? 

Meanwhile, Petey has been absolutely fine defensively and actually putting in efforts on 90% of the nights. Fans just have a raging hard-on trying to make him into the whipping boy. Petey's offense has sucked lately, no doubt. But he's also playing with offensive black hole Ilya Mikheyev. The same guy who has 9 points in his past 55 games and 1 goal in 55 games. Our teams' best playmaker on forward is playing with the worst goal-scorer on the team. Of course he's gonna look like shit. Every grade A opportunity that's granted to him doesn't go in the net and yet he still put up 89 points. His corsi is still good, his fenwick is still good, he's just not being put in a position to succeed and recently he's been slumping offensively. 

Tocchet has a player with the lowest confidence of his career (if you remember back a while, we have already seen this with Petey and then he went on to have a 102 point season the following year) and he's getting paired with the team's biggest offensive black hole. Hoglander can only do so much to help. They're a line that likes to cycle and anytime Mikheyev gets the puck it's either a grade A chance that he can't bury or it's a turnover. 

He's not driving the play like we want him to, but to make it seem like the kid can't even play hockey is hilarious. He's still making high IQ plays, you're just choosing to ignore them because he can't do anything right in your eyes. Last night he was a defensive beast, created space for himself, shot the puck when he should have and should have had 2 assists but I bet you'd be the first one to say he was ass. 

Of course it's concerning, but act like you've seen it before, champ. It happens all of the time in hockey. 

Hogs and Podz played with EP before and as a the third line did pretty good.    This isn't the regular season.   He's not the first Canuck HHOFer to struggle - and two of them did for years.   

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Been saying this since before the playoffs started... Preds came in as the hottest team in the NHL... THE HOTTEST... So to expect them to just roll over and play dead dog was never realistic...

That's not to say we shouldn't be doing well against them, but teams coming into the playoffs with wind in their sails do tend to do well... Kings and Blues springs to mind.

Yes and no ........they went on their streak, but were 4-5-1 heading into the playoffs 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RJCF96 said:

Losing last night would not even guarantee a Round 1 Home game 7. However, winning last night would guaranteed atleast 2 more home games in Round 2.

Sure but game 6 means another game people will go to a bar or whatever to watch. I'm sure local businesses don't mind. Plus there's a home viewing party for food, drinks, merch, etc. So there would be that plus if we advance then we get the guaranteed home games on top. Or go to game 7 and so on.

51 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Haha, the penalty boxes would have to be the same size as the players box. I would still love for these complainers to actually go ref a tournament for a weekend to get some real understanding. They would definitely come back with a different perspective and understand some of the many challenges individual refs and the sport itself faces in these regards. It's not some seldom thought about issue.

Well yeah, exactly, that's why it's not. Hockey would be absolutely stupid and useless then. People like/love hockey because it's tough, it's physical, you can hit, skate, fight, and score. It's a testament to your inner fortitude. The best part of hockey is to will yourself to win those 16 games against all the obstacles, including tough physical play, and yes part of that is full of plays bordering on the letter of the law. That's hockey for crying out loud and always has been.

I get when people argue the validity of a controversial call, sure, but these same people going to extremes and claiming there should have been 30 penalties is where it just gets absurd and pointless. That's not at all based in reality. Hockey has been played and reffed like this for 50+ years.

Maybe this stuff belongs in an alternative reality hockey league thread where there is no hitting, no penalties, and no scoring, just high fives every stoppage, so people don't feel scored on or hard done by. I remember a minor soccer league in Ontario where they played the entire season without the ball to inspire fair play. Maybe they could try that here too. 😂 Haha. I just have to laugh at the logistical gymnastics some folks are capable of. I do wonder why they watch though if they hate it so much.

Ya I don't think anyone is asking for figure skating hockey. But fans can be pissed if Zads is called for a crosscheck while Garland gets crosschecked and interfered with, even away from the puck. Most all calls are grey area, it's part of the game. As a team you deal with it. Fans though, have every right to be choked if they feel there is inconsistencies. Even players voice there displeasure with inconsistent reffing from time to time.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Tbh 

Canucks have out chanced NSH all series 

again last night 

13-7 overall high danger chances per 650 and that’s with NSH getting 4 PPs

we need to shoot and execute 

that’s it 

playoff hockey not easy 

Petey is a passenger 

trade him in off season 

27 minutes ago, spook007 said:

100%, preds could walk out of the west 

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Petey hasn't completely disappeared at all.......he plays well defensively and is, generally, a positive force on the ice.  At worst, he's neutral.  

I thought he was good last night, especially on the pk

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

100%, preds could walk out of the west 

I don't see anyone beating the Avs, tbh.  They absolutely dismantled a very good Jets team