[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Game 5

38 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Pettersson has not been the same , elite creative player he looked like he would be in his Calder year, and he has 2 points in 5 playoff games when it matters most. Overpaid so far

You're right, and that just doesn't cut it. Is GM Worried? I bet he is. I don't know if Rick Tocchet can figure out how to get all eight cylinders rockin with Petey'

That thar is one massive contract he's got stating next year. Team needs more from him, and I don't buy stuff like (he's Oh, he's going through something; Or

He has a minor injury that; just takes time, nope! Go t a sports shrink, whatever, just get it in fourth gear please. We need you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedWooster said:

I blame the refs.

Them too!
Bettman instructed them to knock over the Brock figure because it went against the spirit of the CBA.

1 hour ago, RJCF96 said:

Invisible is kind of harsh. He does made subtle little plays here and there, but for a player his calibre, you would hope he would step up and dominate a game or two eventually.

You know who else makes subtle little plays here and there?

Teddy Blueger, Phil Di Giusseppe, Ilya Mikheyev etc etc.

Petey needs to play like an all star.

Completely invisible for his pay rate and caliber 

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Our management knows how to build a cup winning blue line.

Which is integral to any team wanting to go far in the playoffs. The defense hasn’t been the issue at all in the playoffs. 

Look at all past championship teams. They all have a common theme of being tough. We have lacked that for years until now.

And having the ability to move the puck and generate some offense. 

I still think our forward group needs work. We are so soft up front.

Same. There are some warriors on the forward corps (Miller, Joshua) but a lot of players who aren’t capable of sustaining pressure in the other teams end. 

As much as people complain about Toc washing all skill out of this lineup like Kuz…I think he just knows what wins championships. When was the last time we seen an ultra skilled cup winning team aside from Tampa in the bubble?

Even Tampa had to get used to the grind of the playoffs which requires dipping into the well of mental fortitude and pain suppression. Really can’t win without taking some lumps. Hughes has taken a lot of lumps, yet came out yesterday looking great. He’s adjusted well. Players like Pettersson haven’t. 

Vegas, Colorado, St Louis, Chicago, Penguins, Devils…on and on where all tough teams. Sure they have skill, but those skilled players were also very defensively sound and all took care of business in their own end too.

True. 

North/South, whatever you want to call it wins games come playoff time. There is no room for the cute shit anymore. It gets swallowed up in a second.

it’s a war. Every series a prolonged battle of both physical and mental will. 

Petey can barely breathe out there right now…and this is just Nashville. It’s gonna get harder and harder. He need to learn to be effective without space.

He needs to watch how Miller deals with it. Better yet, see how Hughes has adapted. 

But for sure, this season is worth celebrating because our defence and goaltending. It’s a breath of fresh air.

A huge step. Huge. I enjoy how stingy and hard the defense has played. 

Now to just get some beef to play with Petey and we cookin!

Pettersson needs to prove he belongs in the postseason before any trades are made. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, iceman1964 said:

Yeah he's been playing awesome hasn't he??  The about to be the highest paid player on the team sucking, how is that not a mistake? Take off your rose coloured glasses and go outside in the season and come back in the playoffs where it counts and have another look if your missing it right now, tell me who is playing better Garland or Petey? 

Sad thing is next year he will be paid twice as much as Garland. No way he is twice as good even when he was playing well. 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Funny I don't think EDM is all that bad or what they are hyped up to be.   More worried about playing another NSH (LA) than EDM. 

I don't think the Canucks can beat any of the other western teams without Demko and with Petterson in his current slump.  I suppose if I had to pick a team that I think they'd have the best chance against, it would be EDM.

1 hour ago, RJCF96 said:

I have watched many playoff series over the years, every time a Canadian team plays against an American team in the playoffs, the officiating tends to favour the American team; especially if it is a Southern market team. I hate the Flames and Oilers, but noticed that when they played the Ducks in 2017, the officiating was one sided in favour of the Ducks; I am watching this through the lens of someone who at the time wanted both of those teams to lose. Same with the Leafs against their opponents. Whenever they play in the playoffs against Tampa, Boston or Florida, the opposing team always gets the favourable calls. Montreal got shafted in that series against the Rangers in 2014 when Price was just run and injured by Kreider (no disciplinary action called against Kreider who took out Montreal's best player for the rest of the series). Don't even get me started with the 2011 Finals officiating; then the 2013 first round series against the Sharks, that was an absolute joke how one sided the officials were that year. 

Well, that's your answer right in there.

NHL is a business, they need to sell to the weak markets.

If an American NHL cities team loses, those people stop watching the playoffs and hockey.

Canadians watch even if their team is not playing.

Therefore the NHL has monitary incentive to keep the American cities teams in the playoffs for as long as possible.

• Vintage 1

18 hours ago, farinush said:

-There is no universe where the penalties were 4-2

-Saros and Silovs both played fantastic

-Petey needs to show up. When you get paid $11.6 million you don’t get paid for the attempt, you get paid for results 

- It felt like O’Reilly didn’t lose a single faceoff. That was huge for the Preds

For every one who thinks this EP40's is not making $11.6 million this season that is what his cap hit will be next season. This season it is 7.35 million

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Canuck-Oni said:

Well, that's your answer right in there.

NHL is a business, they need to sell to the weak markets.

If an American NHL cities team loses, those people stop watching the playoffs and hockey.

Canadians watch even if their team is not playing.

Therefore the NHL has monitary incentive to keep the American cities teams in the playoffs for as long as possible.

I don't watch after The Canucks are out. Spring/Summer starts when the Canucks are out

10 minutes ago, Joe King said:

Sad thing is next year he will be paid twice as much as Garland. No way he is twice as good even when he was playing well. 

Col and Edm play more open games I feel better For EP40's play when the game is more open. Dals Preds LA and Vegas play much harder defensive styles 

Is the book out on Petey that he dives? 

I have hardly seen him get a call go in his favour starting the 2nd half of the season. 

Does anyone have any stats about penalties drawn first half vs second half? 

Its bewildering that a star falls down this much and hardly gets calls. 

I would have to think that a memo went out on him. 

4 minutes ago, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

I don't watch after The Canucks are out. Spring/Summer starts when the Canucks are out

That's a shame there's some excellent hockey post Vancouver.

Just now, chris12345 said:

That's a shame there's some excellent hockey post Vancouver.

I only watch elimination games if Canucks are out. I give 0 shit about games 1 to 3 for other teams. To me that is just filler till elimination. 

5 minutes ago, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

You watching / Canadian market doesn't even make a dent on overall hockey market (when the US is watching.)

They don't care that you don't watch if the city of Nashville is watching

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Petey hasn't completely disappeared at all.......he plays well defensively and is, generally, a positive force on the ice.  At worst, he's neutral.  

I thought he was good last night, especially on the pk

Honestly I think he is as noticeable as Hoglander out there. I think everyone is afraid to say the truth because...

A. He has been so bad for so long that we are grasping for positives

B. He seems like a super nice guy

C. He might be struggling more mentally than physically, and no one wants to dump on someone who is having mental struggles.

That said, the truth of the matter is despite all that, this team will not go anywhere if he doesn't start making plays and scoring goals. 

1 hour ago, Canuck You said:

20240501_152115.thumb.jpg.e979f78af11875cb59b3b17c14ca35a8.jpg

This was a complete accident..I feel bad, Like it created bad vibes..Sorry you fell on the ground Brock!

Glue it back on!

7 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Because he can't produce any points despite getting to good areas. The guy is an offensive black hole and really doesn't provide much in terms of forecheck and puck retrieval. Horrifically bad off puck when his teammates need support along the wall as well. 

We need him for shadowing McDavid, once we get past the Preds, and after we have dusted the Oilers, need him again to neutralize McKinnon

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't see anyone beating the Avs, tbh.  They absolutely dismantled a very good Jets team

It’s surprising what a well coached, shot repressing system can do though. If you watch those jets games, they took stupid penalties that shot themselves and their goalie wasn’t playing like a Venzy finalist either. 

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

We need him for shadowing McDavid, once we get past the Preds, and after we have dusted the Oilers, need him again to neutralize McKinnon

Hopefully

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

Honestly I think he is as noticeable as Hoglander out there. I think everyone is afraid to say the truth because...

A. He has been so bad for so long that we are grasping for positives

B. He seems like a super nice guy

C. He might be struggling more mentally than physically, and no one wants to dump on someone who is having mental struggles.

That said, the truth of the matter is despite all that, this team will not go anywhere if he doesn't start making plays and scoring goals. 

It feels wrong dumping on Petey because we all know what he is when he’s on his A game. At his best he’s worth his new contract, but he hasn’t been near his best for a while, and if you can’t bring your A game in the playoffs then what’s the point of having that player.  

He’s earned the recent criticism, but i wouldn’t bet against him not becoming the player we want over the next few years. It would be really great if it happened this playoffs as the next couple years we’re unlikely to ice a better roster due to cap and not having extra picks. 

Hughes-Miller-Boeser is a nice core to give us a chance right now, but with Petey MIA and demko out we’re underdogs. 

He’s a complete disappointment so far, despite some moments of okay-to-good play. He set our expectations high, and just signed a contract that reflects that. 

We all want awesome Petey. I’m sure he’d be the first to admit he hasn’t been.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

He’s earned the recent criticism, but i wouldn’t bet against him not becoming the player we want over the next few years

This, the young man is uber competitive and wants to win too much to not be pissed with the way the last half of this season has unfolded. I have faith in him. 

• Like 1