[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Game 5

4 hours ago, Slegr said:

A lot of talk about Petey and his struggles, but one person who is driving me mad is Suter. I know we can’t expect much from him, but Miller keeps setting him up beautifully only to have chances blown. 
Management must be kicking themselves a bit that they gave up on pursuing one more top six forward by the trade deadline with the high cost on prospects, but there have been plenty of times now where I’ve thought “If Suter was Toffoli, that would have been a goal.”

Suter has actually been playing more than decent. He's definetely been playing better than EP40 thats for damn sure

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

You say it's not because of Tock-it but I've been reading a lot of chatter of how he overplayed Demko to the point of causing fatigue leading up to his injury and underplayed D-Smith leaving him full of rust - due to not getting enough games in - during the regular season.  All this, after Tock-it said that would not happen at the beginning of the season.   

Ditto for QH who he's overplayed all year and EP40 who is undoubtedly been playing with some form of injury for the last 3 months.     In many of those same peoples books that are questioning him, that would qualify as poor coaching and we won't even talk about whether he should have challenged that goal by Nashville last night, that 75% of viewers in a poll on the Donnie & Dhali show said he should have done!    Interesting hearing all that background chatter.........whether wrong or right.  Many are questioning him!

I don't care what a hindsight poll of biased fans says lol.

It was a greasy goal. Nashville goes to the gritty areas and gets gritty goals. 

Canucks try to make pretty passing plays.

It's evident that the Canucks are a more talented team but they need to bear down and play dirty playoff hockey.

If the Canucks scored that goal and Nashville challenged it they would lose their shit if it got called back and we would all bitch how the league is against us.

If tocchet loses the challenge and Nashville scores another goal on the powerplay and we lost 3-1. Then Tocchet will get ripped there as well.

It's a lose-lose situation.

Move on, without Tocchet we don't make the playoffs so your assessment is pretty weak.

Edited by Breadnbutta
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Is there a reason people are so sure Petey has an injury?

he doesnt look injured at all to me

he fumbles his zone entries horribly (overhandling the puck)

hes weak on his skates, falling down more than before

he doesnt shoot

what injury causes all of that?

he had a great summer of training leading into 2022-2023

it looks more to me like he didn't do the same leading into 2023-2024

Tocchet can't stay status quo after losing. We can change it up with a few options but Tocchet doesn't want to. 

4th line

PP1

PP2

7/11

Even just one or two adjustments 

Needs some coaching heroics.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Is there a reason people are so sure Petey has an injury?

he doesnt look injured at all to me

he fumbles his zone entries horribly (overhandling the puck)

hes weak on his skates, falling down more than before

he doesnt shoot

what injury causes all of that?

he had a great summer of training leading into 2022-2023

it looks more to me like he didn't do the same leading into 2023-2024

Not sure what's wrong, but statistically and stylistically, Pettersson is one of the best players in the world when it comes to zone entries.  I won't go into detail, but it's part of what makes him such a lethal player.  The elusiveness also causes him to draw penalties like a machine.  When he falls, we would always go on the PP.

We've seen some of the penalties drawn so far this series.  But he is falling more.  And he isn't getting into the zone clean much.  Petey is obviously not playing to the best of his abilities.  Why?  No clue.  Nerves for sure.  Maybe something else.  But you pointed out two of his weaknesses that were total strengths throughout most of the year.

Edited by Miss Korea

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

Not sure what's wrong, but statistically and stylistically, Pettersson is one of the best players in the world when it comes to zone entries.  I won't go into detail, but it's part of what makes him such a lethal player.  The elusiveness also causes him to draw penalties like a machine.  When he falls, we would always go on the PP.

We've seen some of the penalties drawn so far this series.  But he is falling more.  And he isn't getting into the zone clean much.  Petey is obviously not playing to the best of his abilities.  Why?  No clue.  Nerves for sure.  Maybe something else.  But you pointed out two of his weaknesses that were total strengths throughout most of the year.

Im certain a memo must have gone out on Petey from the league. 

He is not getting any calls when he goes down. 

He used to draw so many penalties and starting the 2nd half of this season, I noticed more and more they are turning a blind eye (even on some blatant trips). It certainly seems like he's being sent a message. I could see that he's frustrated but I'm guessing the team is telling him to not complain and just play through it. 

Does anyone have the stats on penalties drawn first half of the season vs second half for Petey? 

My guess would be that there is a decline. 

One could argue its because he's not moving his feet as much but the other side of the argument is that I've seen some blatant penalties on him that used to always get called that are now being ignored

6 hours ago, Canuck You said:

Did I stutter bro..What am I missing here..Games on Friday . No?

Yeah, missed the Friday part.  

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Slegr said:

A lot of talk about Petey and his struggles, but one person who is driving me mad is Suter. I know we can’t expect much from him, but Miller keeps setting him up beautifully only to have chances blown. 
Management must be kicking themselves a bit that they gave up on pursuing one more top six forward by the trade deadline with the high cost on prospects, but there have been plenty of times now where I’ve thought “If Suter was Toffoli, that would have been a goal.”

Why dude makes 1.6m and leads the canucks in SOG 5v5 in a series where shots are hard to get. He also basically leads all of our fwds in defensive metrics too. Suter's a beaut. 

Find another whipping boy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Park Zadoravs big a** in front of the net on at least the second unit powerplay similar to Dustin Byfuglien. Not sure why the coaching staff doesn’t try that when our powerplay hasn’t been that good. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

It's not so much "There's someting wrong w Pete" 

It's not like he's had bad matchups Nash is a deep physical team. They seem to be shadowing Pete no reason to cover anyone else on his line really and whenever the puck comes close they just dump him on his ass. He goes down easier than bulgogi beef. 

4 hours ago, filthy animal said:

Suter has actually been playing more than decent. He's definetely been playing better than EP40 thats for damn sure

Suter has great line mates. Petey has a broken Mik and Hogs whos just learning what playoffs are like.

Does Petey need to score? Yes, if he doesn't I don't know that we win the series, but it would be nice if he had one high quality linemate.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Suter has great line mates. Petey has a broken Mik and Hogs whos just learning what playoffs are like.

Does Petey need to score? Yes, if he doesn't I don't know that we win the series, but it would be nice if he had one high quality linemate.

I feel that once Petey cracks this seal, it'll be game on.

If he is battling injury, so be it. But if it's a confidence thing that can be quickly erased with a snipe that goes in (or two). I just can't see him staying off the scoresheet for much longer. Miller too. I know the Preds have focused in on our best and that's where other players do get to shine. So maybe when others score that's part of it...it gives them more room and less focus so they can do so. The fact that Petey draws a lot of attention means other guys don't.

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

If he is battling injury, so be it. But if it's a confidence thing that can be quickly erased with a snipe that goes in (or two). I just can't see him staying off the scoresheet for much longer. Miller too. I know the Preds have focused in on our best and that's where other players do get to shine. So maybe when others score that's part of it...it gives them more room and less focus so they can do so. The fact that Petey draws a lot of attention means other guys don't.

Yep is one or both of those. He's too smart and skilled to not get through it, imo. 

• Cheers 1

having watched a fair amount of other series this year, in my opinion I think that Nashville has the heaviest forecheck out there and once we get past them, it'll be a whole lot easier to get into the offensive zone.

Oiler fans are gloating as to how much trouble we're having against a 'wildcard team'. McWhiney wouldn't have lasted 3 games against Nashvilles late hits, holds, slashes. 

I like the idea of using Zadorov as a highbred forward/d-man... as long as the zebras don't call him for roughing every time he touches someone. He seems to be getting called like Meyers used to, just because he's bigger/stronger than his opponent. 

Now we wait for the goal tender coin toss.......anyone have a 3 sided coin?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I agree. he's being checked SO tightly right now he can't breathe... once our opposition is the Oilers, watch out. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty excited to be going to the watch party tomorrow. It's likely as close as I'll get to the playoffs (my tickets with a friend fell through). 

We have the upper hand here, some don't realize that. 

They have to have won 3 games in a row to win. We just need a win. And I'm hoping it's tomorrow because listen for a cowbell ringing through the streets of Vancouver.

Oilers are pretty high and mighty right now and their top scorers are....scoring. But I don't know that they should be awarded the cup just yet. We've seen both sides of them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I saved this because I think you get stuck on an idea and it has to be proven right, even when it's revealed to be wrong. So a lot of delusion in posting that somehow this team is getting dominated throughout...it's just part of trying to support your stance but it doesn't make it so.

So tired of this know it all stuff that puts everyone else down because it's not "honest" conversation. Horse crap.

MMMMMM ... Must .... Feed ... Troll 

Hungry Homer Simpson GIF

Just now, Rocket-68 said:

MMMMMM ... Must .... Feed ... Troll 

Hungry Homer Simpson GIF

The name calling of fans who don't think we're doomed just screamed at me.

• Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

I believe he is out of sorts because his xbox hard drive storage upgrade has  been a long time in arriving and it is bothering him or equally as plausble..taking time to adjust to playoff hockey

Edited by testycal

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

The name calling of fans who don't think we're doomed just screamed at me.

I must say, I am rather impressed with the effort some Coiler fans put into this board rather than supporting their team on Oiler fan boards ... other than that, not much positive can be said about some of the posters here that tend to have a very "objective" view on our beloved Canucks.

Edited by Rocket-68

30 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I wouldn't replace Suter with Pete anylitics have shown that the Lotto line isn't more effective. Pete in Lindholm spot doesn't make much sense either. So to all who are whining Pete has no line mates. We should re jig the whole team so Pete has some wingers is back asswards thinking. 

The reality is Pete is playing like hot garbage right now. If he made the team better in the top 6 he would be in the top 6. He's still out on every PP for 1.5m with Huggy Miller et all swimming around on his belly. 

I'm not sure how accurate this is but it seems to me that elimination games are typically less physical. I feel teams prioritize the physical play earlier in the series whereas later on there are less risks taken to lay the body in the fear of being caught out of position. Hopefully game 6 in Nashville is similar. I think going 7 games, assuming we win the 7th, can lead to an emotional let down to start the next round and there is more physical fatigue. Goes without saying that game 6 is huge, I think the Canucks come out flying.

• Upvote 1