[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Game 5

1 hour ago, Canuck You said:

Yepp, Agreed...Only if Podz could do a magic trick and get in the line-up cause clearly Mik and Hogz can do no wrong!

I love podz and would love to see him get some games in, but really, what's he don't to think he'd make any kind of impact on the game any more than Mik or Hogz?

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Either lost a bet or is being punished for that I don't want to get on that flight statement. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Stupid poll. They've all changed in different ways, good and bad. It's not about "most". 

And that could all change again in the second round if we get there. 

They also left out Lindholm, whose stock keeps rising.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Stupid poll. They've all changed in different ways, good and bad. It's not about "most". 

Why link to it, if it's a stupid poll?

I’m in Alberta working now and they’re all praying they get Vancouver. Kinda shows that a 3rd party view of this series sees us as a the easier path. 

18 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I really hope we can find a way to retain Lindholm.

???-Miller-Boeser

Pettersson-Lindholm-Hoglander

Joshua-Suter-Garland

PDG-UFA/Aman-Podkolzin

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - ???

Soucy - ???

Demko

Silovs

To retain Lindholm, we have to let a few UFAs walk and likely trade Mikheyev as a cap dump. I think Blueger, Lafferty, DeSmith and Cole will walk as UFA. Myers if he is willing to stay at a discount, would love to bring him back. Zadorov to me is a player we must bring back, I think he is very valuable member to this blueline.

See if we can sign Tanev from UFA for below market value if he is interested in returning. Right now I still have Hronek on the Top Pair, but I could see the Canucks ship him out for picks and fill the void with another UFA signing.

I would also like to see if the Canucks can target 1 or 2 top 6 wingers in Toffoli/Marchessault to play with Petey. Preferably Toffoli, as he has chemistry with Lindholm. We could experiment Hoglander as top LW and have a line of Lindholm between Pettersson and Toffoli.

In net, I would like us to sign another depth goalie with NHL experience below 1 million as back-up. We have to go into next season with the mindset that Demko would either need to start fewer games or he will be out for 3-6 weeks and we need to have 2 NHL capable back-up goalies in net to get us through. Preferably, we carry 3 goalies all season and just give the 2 back-ups more starts to lower Demko's workload.

My priorities in the pending UFA:

Zadorov

Joshua

Lindholm

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I’m in Alberta working now and they’re all praying they get Vancouver. Kinda shows that a 3rd party view of this series sees us as a the easier path. 

Any insight as to why they think that? Pettersson being invisible? Lack of top line and secondary scoring? Goaltending issues?

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Any insight as to why they think that? Pettersson being invisible? Lack of top line and secondary scoring? Goaltending issues?

I guess no Demko.

10 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I wish they would free Hughes from staying up top.......5 v 5 he makes so much happen when hes skating in the ozone, why not let him do it on the pp?

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It’s Definitely EP I’ve worked in Alberta as a canucks fan for many years. It was always the”Sedin Sisters” now torch has been passed to EP. I will never hear the end of him getting knocked down after that goal the other day. Everyone calls him a derogatory term for someone who is attracted to the same sex. Relentlessly. 

• Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Change it up a bit during the game to throw a few wrinkles if things are not working well - Brunette and company came from the Lemaire days in early 2000 and are very structured tactically.

Just hope Petey's line can have a more significant impact given the Pred's top D probably on the Miller line right now.  In the playoffs you do need 2-3 lines to have some success - as Dallas and Edm has shown so far, everyone is chipping in.

Hope for a good result tomorrow.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I mean we’re kinda past the point of him “playing through it”. Some accountability needs to be shown.

Maybe he needs some tough love. Would dropping him to the 2nd unit really be the worst thing? We’re way too easy to defend with Petey in his usual spot.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

I really hope we can find a way to retain Lindholm.

???-Miller-Boeser

Pettersson-Lindholm-Hoglander

Joshua-Suter-Garland

PDG-UFA/Aman-Podkolzin

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - ???

Soucy - ???

Demko

Silovs

To retain Lindholm, we have to let a few UFAs walk and likely trade Mikheyev as a cap dump. I think Blueger, Lafferty, DeSmith and Cole will walk as UFA. Myers if he is willing to stay at a discount, would love to bring him back. Zadorov to me is a player we must bring back, I think he is very valuable member to this blueline.

See if we can sign Tanev from UFA for below market value if he is interested in returning. Right now I still have Hronek on the Top Pair, but I could see the Canucks ship him out for picks and fill the void with another UFA signing.

I would also like to see if the Canucks can target 1 or 2 top 6 wingers in Toffoli/Marchessault to play with Petey. Preferably Toffoli, as he has chemistry with Lindholm. We could experiment Hoglander as top LW and have a line of Lindholm between Pettersson and Toffoli.

In net, I would like us to sign another depth goalie with NHL experience below 1 million as back-up. We have to go into next season with the mindset that Demko would either need to start fewer games or he will be out for 3-6 weeks and we need to have 2 NHL capable back-up goalies in net to get us through. Preferably, we carry 3 goalies all season and just give the 2 back-ups more starts to lower Demko's workload.

My priorities in the pending UFA:

Zadorov

Joshua

Lindholm

I'd like to retain him from a perfect scenario perspective but I think he's been a luxury for us. I'm not sure if he's in the cards beyond this season. I do think we'll offer him a contract but I can't see us being able to afford him. We do need to trade Mikheyev for sure.

I agree with you on Zad. I think we can do it. There is a way to make it work with Hronek, Zad, and Joshua. Imo, Myers will need to take a discount to stay. 

I'm not big on the idea of Tanev. I don't hate it, I just think we're going in a different and better direction as far as D investments. If we're forced to look elsewhere, sure, but we have our top pairing set, so there's no need to keep figuring that out. Bring back Z as a priority for sure. 

I do agree the goaltending situation will need to be look at more closely. We're fortunate to have Silovs and DeSmith, Tolopolo as well. Silovs is ready to backup, imo, and is earning his shot. We'll most definitely need to manage Demko's games closely next season. I think we'll be good in net but agree we need to keep the pipeline stocked.

It's going to be interesting how all of this plays out but we're not in such dire financial straights that we can't make it work. We're not building a winner like this only to destroy it the next year. Our management is smarter than that.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

18 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

It’s Definitely EP I’ve worked in Alberta as a canucks fan for many years. It was always the”Sedin Sisters” now torch has been passed to EP. I will never hear the end of him getting knocked down after that goal the other day. Everyone calls him a derogatory term for someone who is attracted to the same sex. Relentlessly. 

I feel your pain, that’s not cool. I’ve never lived in British Columbia or have never even visited so I’ve only met other Canucks fans sparingly. My wife is from the Pittsburgh area, so we live in a Pitt suburb. Pens fans are pretty cool with the Canucks because of the connections between the two teams, ie Tocchet, JR, Gonchar etc. My buddy at work is a big Pens fan, and he’s really pulling for the Canucks in the playoffs 🙂

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean we’re kinda past the point of him “playing through it”. Some accountability needs to be shown.

Maybe he needs some tough love. Would dropping him to the 2nd unit really be the worst thing? We’re way too easy to defend with Petey in his usual spot.

Yup, maybe it's time to 'shelter' him a bit more.  Get him on the 2nd PP unit, and move him down the roster to have him face weaker competition.  It looks bad, but if it is explained carefully by Tocchet that they're doing this to free him up more, then hopefully he understands.  Other teams can decide where they want to match up, but these 4 lines would be really difficult to truly match up against.  Do they let Petey go since he's with PDG/Lafferty?  What if Petey breaks out because of the weaker competition?  But do they waste a matchup of their best defensive units against that line?  It raises a lot of questions for the opposition.

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Lindholm-Hoglander

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

PDG-Petey-Lafferty

• Cheers 1