[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Game 5

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yup, maybe it's time to 'shelter' him a bit more.  Get him on the 2nd PP unit, and move him down the roster to have him face weaker competition.  It looks bad, but if it is explained carefully by Tocchet that they're doing this to free him up more, then hopefully he understands.  Other teams can decide where they want to match up, but these 4 lines would be really difficult to truly match up against.  Do they let Petey go since he's with PDG/Lafferty?  What if Petey breaks out because of the weaker competition?  But do they waste a matchup of their best defensive units against that line?  It raises a lot of questions for the opposition.

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Lindholm-Hoglander

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

PDG-Petey-Lafferty

I mean fourth line is a little extreme but a drop down to the third would be good enough.

Pandering to stars doesn’t work just look at Toronto. At the end of the day if you’re not performing your ice time should be reduced no matter how much you make.

The fact that they still have him practicing in his usuals one timer spot despite his complete reluctance to one time it is nuts.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I mean fourth line is a little extreme but a drop down to the third would be good enough.

Pandering to stars doesn’t work just look at Toronto. At the end of the day if you’re not performing your ice time should be reduced no matter how much you make.

The fact that they still have him practicing in his usuals one timer spot despite his complete reluctance to one time it is nuts.

Yeah, it's extreme, but if this goes to Game 7, we might just need something extreme to happen.

57 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I’m in Alberta working now and they’re all praying they get Vancouver. Kinda shows that a 3rd party view of this series sees us as a the easier path. 

Not surprised with the game stats so far in this series and Demko likely not available. Outside of Vancouver the perception is probably we're very lucky that we won game 3 and 4. 

I don't mind being the underdog cause the pressure would be on that cup or bust team. To be honest I don't like our chances against this current version of the Oils team, but stranger things have happened in nhl playoffs.

Maybe this is not a great example, but the last time another Canadian team fan-chanted they wanted a particular opponent in round 2 it didn't end very well for them. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

It’s Definitely EP I’ve worked in Alberta as a canucks fan for many years. It was always the”Sedin Sisters” now torch has been passed to EP. I will never hear the end of him getting knocked down after that goal the other day. Everyone calls him a derogatory term for someone who is attracted to the same sex. Relentlessly. 

I had a feeling a poor showing, especially being physically dominated, would create an aura around the guy. 

6 minutes ago, Wing said:

Not surprised with the game stats so far in this series and Demko likely not available. Outside of Vancouver the perception is probably we're very lucky that we won game 3 and 4. 

I don't mind being the underdog cause the pressure would be on that cup or bust team. To be honest I don't like our chances against this current version of the Oils team, but stranger things have happened in nhl playoffs.

Maybe this is not a great example, but the last time another Canadian team fan-chanted they wanted a particular opponent in round 2 it didn't end very well for them. 

I'd be more than happy with the team if they won a round vs. Nashville and bowed out against the Oilers. 

That's some decent playoff experience for the team where they get a taste of both winning and losing. 

Build on it next year. The Canucks are only going to get stronger from this season onwards. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, whcanuck said:

I feel your pain, that’s not cool. I’ve never lived in British Columbia or have never even visited so I’ve only met other Canucks fans sparingly. My wife is from the Pittsburgh area, so we live in a Pitt suburb. Pens fans are pretty cool with the Canucks because of the connections between the two teams, ie Tocchet, JR, Gonchar etc. My buddy at work is a big Pens fan, and he’s really pulling for the Canucks in the playoffs 🙂

Coool, I use to work in a little town northeast of Pittsburgh called Kittanning, east of Butler. Yinz been there? Lol Also in Bradford county, near Mansfield. I’d love a sheetz pizza and a birch beer right now. Lol. 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I had a feeling a poor showing, especially being physically dominated, would create an aura around the guy. 

Yes a new level was achieved from the goal celebration smash. 

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Coool, I use to work in a little town northeast of Pittsburgh called Kittanning, east of Butler. Yinz been there? Lol Also in Bradford county, near Mansfield. I’d love a sheetz pizza and a birch beer right now. Lol. 

Oh yeah I’ve definitely been to Kittanning, sometimes play hockey there now and then! I live in Monroeville, I’m sure you know where that’s at being a former yinzer lol. Sheetz pizza, man that’s a good call-out. Yeah I’m a dual-citizen, originally from Regina, SK. American wife, both kids born in western PA. Trying to make them Canucks fans but I’m fighting a losing battle when everyone around them is a Pens fan. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wing said:

Let's get by the Predators first before we worry about who we face next round.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Do you think Brock scores 30 with Pete as his C? We literally hung a free sign on Brock and Garland last year. The reality is he isn't making the people around him better. Miller Suter and Brock are getting it done. So are Dak Lindy Garland. Pete has the wingers he deserves. Until his play indicates that he deserves better than a 24goal scorer and a 4.75m winger he should eat his wheaties. 

Can't agree on that at all. The franchise is far more important than Petey proving this or that to certain fans. Pair him with quality hockey player and watch him take off. We've invested too much, $11.5 mil to be petty like this. Set your stars up for success. And $4.75 is garbage for what Mikheyev is bringing. Terrible signing. That's a management failure from this group and compounded by Benning's past failures. You hope your young stars deliver more on their own but you should be giving your franchise center more than bird shit to work with at the same time.

I find it funny/unfair/off base that people criticized the team forever and praised Petey while he provided some entertainment and glimmers of hope in otherwise worthless seasons. Then they criticized him heavily for early season struggles only to jump on his jock at the end when he vaulted to the top of the league. Now we're a division winner and up 3-2 in the NHL playoffs yet people are back to being all over him with insults. I for one can appreciate the sh!t position he has in this line-up. Everyone else gets players ... he gets the scraps and all the expectations and ridicule.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

7 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Why dude makes 1.6m and leads the canucks in SOG 5v5 in a series where shots are hard to get. He also basically leads all of our fwds in defensive metrics too. Suter's a beaut. 

Find another whipping boy. 

I don’t mind Suter, but I do mind him in a top 6 roll, and for that, I blame management for not bringing in one more top 6. He’s been fed such nice passes by Miller for several games and anyone with finish would be tapping those in. Suter does a good job at what he does, but he’s not meant to be top-six.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Can't agree on that at all. The franchise is far more important than Petey proving this or that to certain fans. Pair him with quality hockey player and watch him take off. We've invested too much, $11.5 mil to be petty like this. Set your stars up for success. And $4.75 is garbage for what Mikheyev is bringing. Terrible signing. That's a management failure from this group and compounded by Benning's past failures. You hope your young stars deliver more on their own but you should be giving your franchise center more than bird shit to work with at the same time.

I find it funny/unfair/off base that people criticized the team forever and praised Petey while he provided some entertainment and glimmers of hope in otherwise worthless seasons. Then they criticized him heavily for early season struggles only to jump on his jock at the end when he vaulted to the top of the league. Now we're a division winner and up 3-2 in the NHL playoffs yet people are back to being all over him with insults. I for one can appreciate the sh!t position he has in this line-up. Everyone else gets players ... he gets the scraps and all the expectations and ridicule.

The only thing some folks like more than putting people on pedestals is tearing them down from them. All one has to do is look around at the top six of other teams around the league to see that talented top six players usually play with other talented top six players.

Up until his last season as a Canuck Horvat often got the same raw deal, his most consistent running mate as a Canuck was probably Pearson. Up until this season there was a similar complaint about Hughes, we had to try to find him that elusive RD partner, and that saga still might not be over. 

I don't think most fanbases around the league expect their top six centers to try and squeeze blood from a stone, or to consistently extract offense from subpar wingers. Not every player is going to extract offense from players the way Crosby does, there's only one Crosby. 

As it stands we're probably short a couple top six players, Sutur and Mikheyev are not top six caliber players, Mikheyev's a middle six tweener at best.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I wish they would free Hughes from staying up top.......5 v 5 he makes so much happen when hes skating in the ozone, why not let him do it on the pp?

Probably because Boeser, Miller, and Petterson, couldn't be any worse at realizing they can scored on if they don't cover for him.

Should integrate moving and responsibility together but it's a lot to ask for this group.

• Sharpshooter locked, unfeatured and unpinned this topic