[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Nashville Predators | May 3rd, 4:00PM PT | Round 1, Game 6 (Canucks lead series 3-2)

27 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Fan Question; does anyone else become more superstitious in the playoffs? 

Playoff beard gone after the game 5 loss. It's not like the Canucks have been overly convincing. Time for a change of fortune.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

No, short of adding to the atmosphere within the arena I don't believe fans really affect the end result. And even then, while the fans can pump players up I'd question how much that actually impacts how things play out on the ice. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Friend offered me some tickets so I’ll be hopping on the ferry soon, transiting down to the game, and then rushing back for the 9 or 10pm ferry. Hope the boys pull out a big win tonight!!! 

Go Canucks Go!!!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Playoff beard gone after the game 5 loss. It's not like the Canucks have been overly convincing. Time for a change of fortune.

I haven't shaved since the day of game one. And I will be rocking my Hughes reverse retro!!!!!! Let's do this!!!!!!

• Like 1

Losing Demko so early sucked, but goaltending has not been the issue. The lack of scoring has been the biggest problem, hoping the Canucks will have one of those games where they explode offensively.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

I haven't shaved since the day of game one. And I will be rocking my Hughes reverse retro!!!!!! Let's do this!!!!!!

I haven't shaved since the start of playoffs either.  Also, quit drinking until before the start of game 5.  Haven't had a drink since then.  Haven't decided whether I'll have one before tonight.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RJCF96 said:

If he slots in a top 6 spot here instead of Suter/Mikheyev. Even if he just buries 1/3 of the chances they are getting, the series could've been over by now.

And what makes you think he'd bury them here?

He was a huge disappointment to the Jets, given every opportunity to "bury chances" but couldn't.   (2 goals in 8 shots.  c.f. Lindholm, 2 in 5, and Joshua, 2 in 4)

ofc any of these 3 would convert more than Suter (1 for 9) or Mik (0 for 4)

(As an aside, looking at the stats, Mik has 6 hits in 5 games - I don't recall any of them. c.f. Toffoli with 8. Suter at 6 and Joshua at 21)

12 minutes ago, RedWooster said:

I haven't shaved since the start of playoffs either.  Also, quit drinking until before the start of game 5.  Haven't had a drink since then.  Haven't decided whether I'll have one before tonight.

Can't say the same, I did a beer run an hour ago.

• Cheers 2

Playing with the stats, was surprised to see PDG 3rd in hits behind just Zad and Dak.

Lindholm. 6th, also surprised me

20240503_103152.thumb.jpg.a714c9b3430aad819046d8e80b5d7280.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Absolutely!

Though I wore a Nucks sweater that was 2-0 to Game 5, and we lost.

So I'm starting to think maybe my outfit choices aren't having an impact on the results... 

Still made sure to buy the same beer as games 3/4

• Vintage 1

Posted (edited)

"He (Pettey) came up to me — we did a video today — he said, ‘Toc, I've got to move my feet,’” Tocchet told reporters. “So I told him: ‘I don't care what you say after that, just do that.’

Just Do It Ted Lasso GIF by Apple TV

do it jewish GIF

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Do It Watchmen GIF by Legendary Entertainment

Make It So Star Trek GIF

Looking Stanley Cup GIF by Twitter

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
  • Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

No, short of adding to the atmosphere within the arena I don't believe fans really affect the end result. And even then, while the fans can pump players up I'd question how much that actually impacts how things play out on the ice. 

From my perspective, energy and atmosphere from fans matter. Even the players have said it matters. Just look at the effect of Game 1 and how loud fans were. It helps. There's an infectious component that has a ripple effect. Fans can provide a spark, motivation, inspiration ... players draw from that energy. I've played in packed arenas, and can say crowds and fans matter. That can also be intimidating for opposing teams, that can impact individual and team psychology.

Superstitions? That depends on what you believe. If I lay all my Canucks memorabilia on my couch every time I watch a game, hmmmm ... I'm not sure if that would impact the game on the ice in what I could see or measure. But I do believe there's merit to the effect of certain universal collective energies. So, in that regard, I'd err more on the side of positivity than negativity and say that behavior - at the very least -  wouldn't hurt.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Can't say the same, I did a beer run an hour ago.

Worked nights, just bought beer so I got em when I wake up. Getting dangerously close to do I sleep or crack a beer and push through the day haha 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

From my perspective, energy and atmosphere from fans matter. Even the players have said it matters. Just look at the effect of Game 1 and how loud fans were. It helps. There's an infectious component that has a ripple effect. Fans can provide a spark, motivation, inspiration ... players draw from that energy. I've played in packed arenas, and can say crowds and fans matter. That can also be intimidating for opposing teams, that can impact individual and team psychology.

Superstitions? That depends on what you believe. If I lay all my Canucks memorabilia on my couch every time I watch a game, hmmmm ... I'm not sure if that would impact the game on the ice in what I could see or measure. But I do believe there's merit to the effect of certain universal collective energies. So, in that regard, I'd err more on the side of positivity than negativity and say that behavior - at the very least -  wouldn't hurt.

I can respect that, we simply have different takes, I don't personally buy into metaphysical bits, spirituality, or various interpretations of energy. When it comes to sports it's generally folks having a parasocial relationship with a franchise, some folks take it further and develop one-sided parasocial relationships with players, ain't my bag. 

Within the arena? Yeah, there are impacts, but I think how it affects on-ice product is tough to measure or quantify. Folks are free to believe what they want, but I question the actual impact while recognizing the psychological aspects. 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I thought it was when a girl turns your front pockets inside out so they look like 2 ears, unzips your pants and nibbles on your carrot.

Haha, you would definitely fit in here. You like beer right?

C'mon Nucks, Finish these frackers tonight!

Please please please give these Predators the honky tonk blues.

• Cheers 1

I'm as excited as everyone.

Rationally we need to pay a solid road game, be responsible, absorb pressure and win the battles. Hopefully miller/boes to get a goal or more and then one of hughes/zad/myers? or josh/garly or pettey/hogs get more. 

I hope its either joshua who broke out in game 1 who helps us get the win or pettet who comes back from the playoff dead.