[PGT] Canucks at [Expletive deleted] - Round 1 - Game 6

9 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

They didn't look good vs Nux last game either.  Respect all you want.  They certainly don't respect Nux.  That's why they are 0-4. 

Nux in 6. 

McDavid was not on the roster in that last game.

18 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Wow. An exciting nail-biting win. Only one goal but lots of things going on. 

1. The obvious headline is Silovs. He played a great game to record a shutout with 28 saves and Nashville had a lot of high danger chances. Silovs was great at the IIHF world championships last year and it looks like he has recaptured that magic. The "young goalie gets hot in the playoffs" is a theme that has happened quite a lot in the NHL and it looks like it is happening here.  Saros also played a great game. I am glad the Canucks do not have to face him again. 

2. Nice to see Suter get the game-winning goal. He had a bunch of great chances and played a very good game (as did Miller and Boeser). He was due for a goal to actually go in. 

3. The weird thing is that Miller was on the bench for Suter's goal as he had a long shift just before so Petey took his place. Petey did not have a great night (as the "panel" discussed in the second intermission) but he made an excellent play on the goal. He also played good defensive hockey all night and almost got a shorthanded goal. I think the panel was actually kind of hard on him. I expect him to be good against Edmonton.

4. The D was very good as a group. Hughes only played 22 minutes as he obviously continues to struggle with one or more nagging injuries, but Z. took up a lot of the slack. He is really playing well -- better than in the regular season. 

5. It was a close, hard-nosed, well-played game that could have gone either way. The Canucks had a slight edge in the underlying stats in 5-on-5 play but the overall scoring chance and expected goals numbers slightly favored Nashville due to the powerplays Nashville had. Normally I do not complain about penalties, but I did not like the high-sticking call on Boeser, who had his stick in air as a follow-through (which is allowed) and Lauzon skated into Boeser and his stick. But the Canucks did a great job of killing off the 4 minute penalty. 

6. The Edmonton series will be very different. It looks like the Canucks will not get a lot of time off, which is too bad. They could really use some time to rest and recover from minor injuries. 

Here's hoping that the series against Edmonton goes just like the first game of the season. 🫠

Thank you James!

A very memorable game for me personally since I watched it with my 3 grandkids.

At the moment Canucks scored, I thought that roof of my son’s house went down.

So, my point is - there is a brand new generation of Canucks fans that are taking form right now ( my grandkids are 9, 5 and 3), and these guys need a book that, hopefully, you’ll write after this season is done.

• Cheers 3

Just now, DeNiro said:

Nah just a reality check.

The Canucks need to reach another level to top the Oilers. They’re playing really well right now and they’re not some Swiss cheese team that people are claiming.

Good thing is we know the Canucks have another level in them. 

Not fooling me.

Oilers are a good team absolutely. So are we. We'll adapt. Don't be surprised to see us playing more like the Preds.

We do have another level. The one that keeps proving people wrong. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

So what? 

JT will hound him like a cheap coat and shut him down.  Z will take him out. 

2 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It was great to see the team pull through. I sure hope Petey exercises his demons vs. the Oilers. No time better than the second round. I can’t stand the Oilers. I am going to have to mute the whole series because of the amount of times they will mention McDavid. Petey better be buying Suter a huge steak dinner.  

IMG_4193.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

He was for the first three and showed no sign that he was willing to play like a man.  All our blueline needs to do is keep hitting him and he'll be spending most of his time flopping and throwing tantrums instead of concentrating on hockey.,

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Not fooling me.

Oilers are a good team absolutely. So are we. We'll adapt. Don't be surprised to see us playing more like the Preds.

We do have another level. The one that keeps proving people wrong. 

Biggest, huggest "Hughes"t awesomest!! Best game my children have seen! Wild low action, head rollin, jumping off the couch! Air punches!!! Yelling at the TV !!! 

Game of the year so far bud!!! Cheers! 

Posted (edited)

Hilarious to see all the Oilers defenders in this thread. They're the ones who were wrong about us now trying to save face and change the conversation. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

I have to say that I was cursing Suter for the first 2.5 periods and for a lot of the year. Not that he's a bad player but just that he seems to get grade A chances and proceed to shoot them into the crest or pad of the goalie. But man do I love him now. He made me eat crow and I love it.

Also, shout out to Petey who made a nice play prior to the goal. He jumped around a check to keep the play alive. He's done that in the past and I think he bumps the slump next round. He has looked better the last 2 games.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Rick_theRyper said:

Biggest, huggest "Hughes"t awesomest!! Best game my children have seen! Wild low action, head rollin, jumping off the couch! Air punches!!! Yelling at the TV !!! 

Game of the year so far bud!!! Cheers! 

Big time ... 🙂

gioated-family-guy.gif

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You guys couldn't be more wrong - at least on paper.  You guys are still stuck in November, when Woodcroft's Oilers were getting pummeled defensively.

The Oilers under Kris Knoblauch have completely transformed their defensive structure, with all players (including struggling/overpaid guys) fully buying in.  They won a shit ton of games during the second half because they played excellent, structured, defensive hockey.

You can't have it both ways and say Oilers suck defensively, when Skinner put up the best numbers of his career.  Either he had a great season, or the Oilers don't give up high quality chances, or a bit of both.  Edmonton is our enemy.  Respect the enemy.

We didn't play all 4 games in November.

It’ll be nice to get into a good rivalry series.

The Preds matchup had a few fireworks but the series just didn’t have that built in rivalry. Not enough emotion in it. We haven’t played them enough or had a bunch of heated series against them.  

A matchup with the Oilers should ramp things up significantly.

7 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

I'm sorry did their old #1 not just get recalled from the A? Both their starters are fringe NHL. And their D is as fragile as our was in 2015, potential yes but can't keep it together for extended periods. LA doesn't have the offense we do, and Nashville was the hottest team in the NHL and we just beat them and they play hard defensive like LA, basically showing we can play that style, yet we were almost all season long top of the league for, high danger chances, shot, goal per 60 etc... we are one of the best teams this year stats wise, eye test wise, and year end outcome wise. Stop selling the team short. Respect them sure, but we beat them in a 7 game series on paper and in reality. And we will beAt them.

I am more afraid of refs then Coilers.

At the fair game Canucks should take that round in 6 games, but Canucks will be up against 2 teams.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Another brutal reffing by the clowns. Boeser called for a high sticking on a follow through, which isn't even a penalty, and a weak ass call against Lindholm at that point in the game after not calling plenty of obstruction infractions throughout the game against the Preds. No surprise whatsoever. Not that it's indicative of proper reffing because one team could legitimately be performing more infractions than the other, but in the series the preds had 22 powerplays to the Canucks' 13. What a joke. And mulitple of those against the Canucks weren't even penalties. Preds got away with so many blatant infractions.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Toch kind of politely calls our the refs, "I just hope if doesn't become a penalty fest, and some of that will be on us but... Etc" about the Edmonton series. 

Lol yet its just a tin "fool" hat thing yah ok! 

Go Canucks. Every year we get this far it's us against them! But you can do it! 

BRAVEHEART-5_1590075774-700x392.jpg.c42e81c0bbd9582d75b77c9cf562bb39.jpg

Edited by Rick_theRyper

4 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I have to say that I was cursing Suter for the first 2.5 periods and for a lot of the year. Not that he's a bad player but just that he seems to get grade A chances and proceed to shoot them into the crest or pad of the goalie. But man do I love him now. He made me eat crow and I love it.

Also, shout out to Petey who made a nice play prior to the goal. He jumped around a check to keep the play alive. He's done that in the past and I think he bumps the slump next round. He has looked better the last 2 games.

He got the puck to Boeser... without Pettersson spotting Boeser open behind the net, and making the pass, no goal.

And like I said... it is not a coincidence that an involuntary line juggle that was forced on Tocchet, was the key to scoring.

Tocchet needs to be more flexible... if lines are not working, then he should look other combinations.

And he should give Pettersson a partner he can create with.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

I am more afraid of refs then Coilers.

At the fair game Canucks should take that round in 6 games, but Canucks will be up against 2 teams.

This, bang on. Cue the Oilers dives and refs Oilers love in