[PGT] Canucks at [Expletive deleted] - Round 1 - Game 6

Just now, PistolPete13 said:
On 5/3/2024 at 9:56 PM, IBatch said:

Good grief man.   We just won a great game and somehow armchair coaching is the takeaway?   Add that with the SN ticker statement at the start of the game announcing this is the "second time in canucks history" we've had an Adams nomination.  Whoops. 

Expand  

Nvm

4 hours ago, Captkirk888 said:

As i said, July 1. NHL would to have to reset all the past schedules in their recent history to accomodate the schedule they have set in place for years. Some how i think the league has some experience in time management to ensure playoffs are done by late June. You strike me as someone who has been around long enough to realize they have to do this. Do you remember when the Cup was contested in April? MAY? Now June? I do.

So you’re an old fart like me and watched the NHL when they had six teams, played 72 games and the playoffs went two rounds.

Saturday night hockey games started at 5:20 pm, partway through the first period with foster Hewitt doing play by play. Sponsored by Esso. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

So you’re an old fart like me and watched the NHL when they had six teams, played 72 games and the playoffs went two rounds.

Saturday night hockey games started at 5:20 pm, partway through the first period with foster Hewitt doing play by play. Sponsored by Esso. 

He shoots...He scores

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I would rather have consistency. 

Why does the game need to be "managed" as you say? 

Why can't they call an infraction as it is rather than calling it with situational context in mind? 

That in itself creates ambiguity. 

When you see bratty kids, generally speaking, you'll see parents that aren't consistent with their parenting. They'll let kids have candy one night and then tell them another night that they can't have candy before going to bed. 

I guarantee you that if all penalties are called consistently regardless of game context and all players know exactly what to expect, you'll see infractions go down along with fan complaints about reffing. 

There's really only one reason that the league doesn't want this. It gets rid of the "parity" that the league worked so hard to establish to keep franchises like Arizona in the league and to grow hockey in large markets in the states like Nashville as well as keeping the large US markets interested because it really boils down to revenue at the end of the day. 

Thats why even owners don't complain as much as us fans because I'm sure the league is showing them that their ROI is way better when owners shut up and let the league run the business. 

But any fan who has no monetary interest that doesn't see this is just plain blind. 

I follow 3 sports

NHL 

AFL, Aussie rules footy

NRL, Rugby League.

I watch a lot of both AFL and NRL and I can tell you the officiating in both sports is inconsistent.

AFL, has two classics, throwing the ball, incorrect disposal, and pushing a player in the back.

My friend and I watch a lot of NRL and we often state, WTF was that penalty for.

Or why did they call  that as penalty, when the didn't call the same thing 10 minutes before.

Inconsistent officiating happens in all team sports.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

I follow 3 sports

NHL 

AFL, Aussie rules footy

NRL, Rugby League.

I watch a lot of both AFL and NRL and I can tell you the officiating in both sports is inconsistent.

AFL, has two classics, throwing the ball, incorrect disposal, and pushing a player in the back.

My friend and I watch a lot of NRL and we often state, WTF was that penalty for.

Or why did they call  that as penalty, when the didn't call the same thing 10 minutes before.

Inconsistent officiating happens in all team sports.

There are some sports that do it better than other sports

Sorry I don't watch AFL or NRL but if you often state" wtf was that penalty for? " when watching sports, chances are, that league is not well officiated... 

At least in hockey we know what it's for. We just don't like the inconsistency of when the rules are applied but yeah, I guess if you are comparing hockey to other sports where you don't know what the penalty was called for, NHL might not look as bad. 

30 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

There are some sports that do it better than other sports

Sorry I don't watch AFL or NRL but if you often state" wtf was that penalty for? " when watching sports, chances are, that league is not well officiated... 

At least in hockey we know what it's for. We just don't like the inconsistency of when the rules are applied but yeah, I guess if you are comparing hockey to other sports where you don't know what the penalty was called for, NHL might not look as bad. 

The NRL has both the " bunker ", video reviews of both  scores and 

dangerous tackles.

Captains Challenge 

Video review of a calls the officials make until a challenge is unsuccessful.

And I have seen people on this board claim, why wasn't that a penalty.

Or why was " our " player penalised.

Which is the same as WTF was that a penalty for.

Example of this was the penalty that was called on the Canucks in the last minute of game six not long after Suter scored.

Like I stated mate, all team sports are have inconsistent officiating.

And some fans in all these sports believe their team is more victimised than others.

Great article about this subject.

Quit Blaming the Refs/ 

Why Toxic Mindset is Tainting Our Culture.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/quit-blaming-refs-why-toxic-mindset-tainting-our-culture-ryan-snaadt

" We all support our team, our kid, or our hometown and want them to win...I get it. But, for one reason or another patrons of sporting events put so much negative focus on the officials calls, they miss out on the game.

Lately this has been on my mind in lieu of watching the Super bowl, live college basketball, semi pro icehockey and high school ball games. 

I will sit in the stands and without fail, there are clusters of extremely negative fans that seem to only attend to spew vulgar comments at the officials and blame them for everything that is wrong in the world. "

25 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

The NRL has both the " bunker ", video reviews of both  scores and 

dangerous tackles.

Captains Challenge 

Video review of a calls the officials make until a challenge is unsuccessful.

And I have seen people on this board claim, why wasn't that a penalty.

Or why was " our " player penalised.

Which is the same as WTF was that a penalty for.

Example of this was the penalty that was called on the Canucks in the last minute of game six not long after Suter scored.

Like I stated mate, all team sports are have inconsistent officiating.

And some fans in all these sports believe their team is more victimised than others.

Great article about this subject.

Quit Blaming the Refs/ 

Why Toxic Mindset is Tainting Our Culture.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/quit-blaming-refs-why-toxic-mindset-tainting-our-culture-ryan-snaadt

" We all support our team, our kid, or our hometown and want them to win...I get it. But, for one reason or another patrons of sporting events put so much negative focus on the officials calls, they miss out on the game.

Lately this has been on my mind in lieu of watching the Super bowl, live college basketball, semi pro icehockey and high school ball games. 

I will sit in the stands and without fail, there are clusters of extremely negative fans that seem to only attend to spew vulgar comments at the officials and blame them for everything that is wrong in the world. "

Lol who the fook is Ryan Snaadt and why are you reading sports articles written by a nobody on LinkedIn? 

I don't get upset at amateur referees. 

I get upset at the refs / league that is the best in class for their sport in the entire world like the NHL... 

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol who the fook is Ryan Snaadt and why are you reading sports articles written by a nobody on LinkedIn? 

I don't get upset at amateur referees. 

I get upset at the refs / league that is the best in class for their sport in the entire world like the NHL... 

You have obviously missed the point of my post, and that article. 

Inconsistent officiating happens in all sports, at all levels. 

It's all a conspiracy.....

8 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I would rather have consistency. 

Why does the game need to be "managed" as you say? 

Why can't they call an infraction as it is rather than calling it with situational context in mind? 

That in itself creates ambiguity. 

When you see bratty kids, generally speaking, you'll see parents that aren't consistent with their parenting. They'll let kids have candy one night and then tell them another night that they can't have candy before going to bed. 

I guarantee you that if all penalties are called consistently regardless of game context and all players know exactly what to expect, you'll see infractions go down along with fan complaints about reffing. 

There's really only one reason that the league doesn't want this. It gets rid of the "parity" that the league worked so hard to establish to keep franchises like Arizona in the league and to grow hockey in large markets in the states like Nashville as well as keeping the large US markets interested because it really boils down to revenue at the end of the day. 

Thats why even owners don't complain as much as us fans because I'm sure the league is showing them that their ROI is way better when owners shut up and let the league run the business. 

But any fan who has no monetary interest that doesn't see this is just plain blind. 

Every time something happens?   So the game turns into pee-wee level contact.   Not cool.   Little hooks, slash's and holds, cross-checks ... yikes.   The entire game will end up 3-3 by half way through the first period with the current group of hockey players.   Guys left playing, all Byng guys and even half of them would have 100pims by the end of the year. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Every time something happens?   So the game turns into pee-wee level contact.   Not cool.   Little hooks, slash's and holds, cross-checks ... yikes.   The entire game will end up 3-3 by half way through the first period with the current group of hockey players.   Guys left playing, all Byng guys and even half of them would have 100pims by the end of the year. 

Nope. 

If there is consistency for how a penalty is called, we will see a reduction in penalties taken because everybody will be on the same page. 

Ofcourse we'll never know if that theory will hold because there's never been consistency when it comes to reffing. 

Maybe we should try it for 1 season and see how it goes. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

If you don't think parity and growing the game doesn't have any effect on reffing, unfortunately you are out to lunch. 

10 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I’m actually kidding. I don’t think I was ever in jeopardy of losing the ability to post. 

That being said, I looked up the term predophile and it actually means predatory pedophile. I was under the impression that they’re all predatory, but I stand corrected. They’re all still sick fucks though. 

Anyshways, I changed it because the players in Nashville don’t need to be lumped in with and/or referenced as the most deviant of deviants. 

Is it ok if I still use McDiddler for round 2?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

It's funny because those who discuss officiating usually aren't hinting toward a conspiracy. Personally, I find it's not great in other games too.

All levels shouldn't be the same, top levels are just that and require top tier officiating.

Some refs do a better job than others so it's not ALL reffing, but there definitely is some power-mongering and ego involved. There are refs who have a history with some teams/players and each game should bring a clean slate if it's to be fairly overseen. Because where does their rap sheet end. Does it ever? 

Refs are human beings and just like any other profession, there are those who are good and bad at their job. And it's ok to point out the bad and not just accept it as "oh well, this is how it is in other sports". People who are lousy at their job generally are addressed.

People who are quick to throw out words like "conspiracy" to shut down conversations are the only ones using that word from what I've seen.

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

and don't forget about the imortal Howie Meeker.... oh golly gee

10 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It's funny because those who discuss officiating usually aren't hinting toward a conspiracy. Personally, I find it's not great in other games too.

All levels shouldn't be the same, top levels are just that and require top tier officiating.

Some refs do a better job than others so it's not ALL reffing, but there definitely is some power-mongering and ego involved. There are refs who have a history with some teams/players and each game should bring a clean slate if it's to be fairly overseen. Because where does their rap sheet end. Does it ever? 

Refs are human beings and just like any other profession, there are those who are good and bad at their job. And it's ok to point out the bad and not just accept it as "oh well, this is how it is in other sports". People who are lousy at their job generally are addressed.

People who are quick to throw out words like "conspiracy" to shut down conversations are the only ones using that word from what I've seen.

question : has anyone noticed the reffing getting WORSE since Bettman fell into bed with those betting sites?

asking for a friend

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

NHL refs, like the players, are the cream of the crop. They’re human and will make mistakes in judgement. My issue with refereeing in the nhl is the game management. And imo that is a directive from the league. 

Yep, they switch styles between series, between games and periods depending on the teams and narrative.

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yep, they switch styles between series, between games and periods depending on the teams and narrative.

Yup. The refs manage games and they are managed by the league. It’s about maximizing league revenues. 

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. The refs manage games and they are managed by the league. It’s about maximizing league revenues. 

Well the other side of it is personal bias as well. Ego..."you made me look bad" stuff.

There are definitely refs who have some players on their radar and maybe it's something that's been said that should be wiped clean at the game's end. Pre-game skates with one player before a game starts.

I do love that this team's obviously onto it and not fighting against it or getting too caught up in bad and missed calls as a focus. Does no good, refs don't care/listen much. The whole power of authority looms large. So accepting that it is what it is and trying to just work through it as it comes. Doesn't mean we, as fans, don't notice when it's bad or shouldn't discuss it. 

• Like 1