[PGT] Canucks at [Expletive deleted] - Round 1 - Game 6

2 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Most likely this. Apparently VAN vs EDM starting Tuesday or Wednesday depends on which of Dallas or Vegas win tomorrow. The issue is building availability for Colorado. 

Agree. That's usually the case. I know TV is also strict in deadlines and what gets negotiated and booked/scheduled. 

• PhillipBlunt changed the title to [PGT] Canucks at [Expletive deleted] - Round 1 - Game 6
35 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why are they starting round 2 before round 1 is over? SO Mickey Mouse.

It’s almost like they’re cramming too many games in a short span or something…

Think they have to do this now since the reg season starts so late and ends in mid April. It's really stupid.

I remember the Final used be beginning of June, now it's mid to late June and the ice is getting shittier and shittier since it's hot outside everywhere.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

That Elblad Bouchard D pairing is pretty damn good. I'd put it even with Horonek Hughes. 

D pairings 2 and 3 we're better. 

Not even close.  Ekholm is good, but Bouchard is still nowhere close to good enough in his own zone to belong in the NHL.  He's the kind of player you love to play against but hate to have on your team.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Gotta love those "situational" calls. Nothing like leaving the rules up to the refs to interpret when to call penalties and when to ignore it. 

Well the job does require judgment to manage the game. Naturally there will be mistakes and unconscious bias but it's unavoidable when you have mere people making order out of chaos. Overall it seems to work out. Even the late penalty yesterday was fine with me: it increased the drama and sweetened the victory in the way we held on, 

I think it would have been a worse transgression not to call it, that's all. 

Would you rather have Gort refereeing?

undefined

I wouldn't, as much as I love him. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Then push it back in day.

It should never be that tight. Just feels cheesy to be starting a new round while the last one isn’t completed.

As i said, July 1. NHL would to have to reset all the past schedules in their recent history to accomodate the schedule they have set in place for years. Some how i think the league has some experience in time management to ensure playoffs are done by late June. You strike me as someone who has been around long enough to realize they have to do this. Do you remember when the Cup was contested in April? MAY? Now June? I do.

• Huggy Bear 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Captain Hughes said:

The title of this changed. I'm anti censorship

I am too. I fully admit to caving to the pressure. I’ll be honest, I was worried that I’d lose my ability to do an experiment occasional PGT. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Inkidu said:

Well the job does require judgment to manage the game. Naturally there will be mistakes and unconscious bias but it's unavoidable when you have mere people making order out of chaos. Overall it seems to work out. Even the late penalty yesterday was fine with me: it increased the drama and sweetened the victory in the way we held on, 

I think it would have been a worse transgression not to call it, that's all. 

Would you rather have Gort refereeing?

undefined

I wouldn't, as much as I love him. 

I would rather have consistency. 

Why does the game need to be "managed" as you say? 

Why can't they call an infraction as it is rather than calling it with situational context in mind? 

That in itself creates ambiguity. 

When you see bratty kids, generally speaking, you'll see parents that aren't consistent with their parenting. They'll let kids have candy one night and then tell them another night that they can't have candy before going to bed. 

I guarantee you that if all penalties are called consistently regardless of game context and all players know exactly what to expect, you'll see infractions go down along with fan complaints about reffing. 

There's really only one reason that the league doesn't want this. It gets rid of the "parity" that the league worked so hard to establish to keep franchises like Arizona in the league and to grow hockey in large markets in the states like Nashville as well as keeping the large US markets interested because it really boils down to revenue at the end of the day. 

Thats why even owners don't complain as much as us fans because I'm sure the league is showing them that their ROI is way better when owners shut up and let the league run the business. 

But any fan who has no monetary interest that doesn't see this is just plain blind. 

Edited by CanucksJay

24 minutes ago, Captain Hughes said:

The title of this changed. I'm anti censorship

I’m actually kidding. I don’t think I was ever in jeopardy of losing the ability to post. 

That being said, I looked up the term predophile and it actually means predatory pedophile. I was under the impression that they’re all predatory, but I stand corrected. They’re all still sick fucks though. 

Anyshways, I changed it because the players in Nashville don’t need to be lumped in with and/or referenced as the most deviant of deviants. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I’m actually kidding. I don’t think I was ever in jeopardy of losing the ability to post. 

That being said, I looked up the term predophile and it actually means predatory pedophile. I was under the impression that they’re all predatory, but I stand corrected. They’re all still sick fucks though. 

Anyshways, I changed it because the players in Nashville don’t need to be lumped in with and/or referenced as the most deviant of deviants. 

Its Nashville fault for picking a team name that is so easy to mock with word play. We all know they ain't predophiles were just trying to ruin their team name haha. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Captain Hughes said:

Its Nashville fault for picking a team name that is so easy to mock with word play. We all know they ain't predophiles were just trying to ruin their team name haha. 

Good point, Cap. 

11 hours ago, CaribouCanuck said:

I also just want to say... fuck all those super cocky Predators fans on twitter who in the lead up to the playoffs before the matches were set kept saying they really badly want to play the Canucks because they are by far the easiest opponent and the one team they are absolutely confident the Preds would beat!. Those guys must feel so dumb right now. 

"by far the easiest opponent" may be still true. But in that case, they would be by far the last place among the playoff teams. 😂

23 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I would rather have consistency. 

Why does the game need to be "managed" as you say? 

Why can't they call an infraction as it is rather than calling it with situational context in mind? 

That in itself creates ambiguity. 

When you see bratty kids, generally speaking, you'll see parents that aren't consistent with their parenting. They'll let kids have candy one night and then tell them another night that they can't have candy before going to bed. 

I guarantee you that if all penalties are called consistently regardless of game context and all players know exactly what to expect, you'll see infractions go down along with fan complaints about reffing. 

There's really only one reason that the league doesn't want this. It gets rid of the "parity" that the league worked so hard to establish to keep franchises like Arizona in the league and to grow hockey in large markets in the states like Nashville as well as keeping the large US markets interested because it really boils down to revenue at the end of the day. 

Thats why even owners don't complain as much as us fans because I'm sure the league is showing them that their ROI is way better when owners shut up and let the league run the business. 

But any fan who has no monetary interest that doesn't see this is just plain blind. 

I just don't think managing a game necessarily means there is favoritism, it just comes across that way to fans who are on one side or the other of calls that are unavoidably a matter of judgment.

If you called a game legalistically there would be nothing but penalties so you have to use discretion. Usually they let things go when they can but call them when they have to, like last night. 

I'm sure there is pressure from vested interests but so what? The refs are generally professional so that disables any massive conspiracy. 

If anything, I think we get the short end because refs tend to call us by the book in an attempt to avoid criticism as we've drawn too much attention on how hard done by our franchise is. As a result they do call us consistently =- technically -- but not so the teams we're playing against. 

That's changing with Tocchet. 

Only one Canadian team is going to the conference finals. Kinda sad as Winnipeg had such a great year. Was secretly rooting for Toronto just to beat Boston. Playoffs are just better with more Canadian teams. Hopefully we are the last team standing 

• Cheers 2

On 5/3/2024 at 9:56 PM, IBatch said:

Good grief man.   We just won a great game and somehow armchair coaching is the takeaway?   Add that with the SN ticker statement at the start of the game announcing this is the "second time in canucks history" we've had an Adams nomination.  Whoops.