[PGT] Canucks at [Expletive deleted] - Round 1 - Game 6

52 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. The refs manage games and they are managed by the league. It’s about maximizing league revenues. 

you really see it when they get lazy and just call certain numbers for make up game management calls. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

NHL refs, like the players, are the cream of the crop. They’re human and will make mistakes in judgement. My issue with refereeing in the nhl is the game management. And imo that is a directive from the league. 

Great take thank you.  Totally agree.  I watch NFL and CFL sometimes... Used to watch both NBA and MLB.  Bad officiating at times in all of them. 

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James CordenBUT I think NHL is the only major north America sport that intentionally game manages.  We as fans see it all the time and expect it.  Yet get outraged when they do so against our team and/or a call is made in an potentially pivotal moment in the game. The outrage is a head scratcher because it's nothing new and will continue yet some fans act as if it's never happened before and ready to wish death upon the official making the call.  

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yup. The refs manage games and they are managed by the league. It’s about maximizing league revenues. 

It would be really hard to watch a game especially a playoff game if all calls were made by the book. There has to be some kind of discretion and management by the ref's sometimes it goes your way sometimes ii doesn't. Could you imagine a penalty assessed for every little facewash or minor cross check after the whistle, there would constantly be players in the box. Granted if the league lets them get away with it they will and eventually will stop if they are being called on it, but where do you draw the line 

• Jess unfeatured and unpinned this topic
15 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

That's great. Thanks for doing that. I appreciate the all-in-one round up. It's all now easier to read all in one post.

Hope it made you feel better. It made me feel better. 

chewiethanks2.jpg?auto=webp&fit=crop&hei

Maybe Chewie could replace Mik. He'd make a pretty good grit guy on that line.

• Haha 1

No word of a lie with just under 4 minutes to go I called standy mid air and said Canucks are scoring a back breaker. IMG_4212.thumb.jpeg.2dc7856f2a01e50b33b6676469bc4361.jpeg

I swear on my daughters life this is 1000% legit.

if anyone doesnt know what a standy is, its when you flip your empty beer in the air and try to get it to stand up (in beer league its a free beer if you do) it is not easy to do. I felt the need to attempt a standy for good luck and it paid off.

'I can't stand' it: Canucks coach Rick Tocchet tired of embellishment in playoffs

The Canucks coach says he's not pointing fingers at Edmonton but that 'I would be very on guard with the refs this playoff with this embellishment'

https://canoe.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/i-cant-stand-it-canucks-coach-rick-tocchet-tired-of-embellishment-in-playoffs/wcm/fdb3c59f-8ac1-4b04-89df-4383f98c7d51

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, -dlc- said:

It's funny because those who discuss officiating usually aren't hinting toward a conspiracy. Personally, I find it's not great in other games too.

All levels shouldn't be the same, top levels are just that and require top tier officiating.

Some refs do a better job than others so it's not ALL reffing, but there definitely is some power-mongering and ego involved. There are refs who have a history with some teams/players and each game should bring a clean slate if it's to be fairly overseen. Because where does their rap sheet end. Does it ever? 

Refs are human beings and just like any other profession, there are those who are good and bad at their job. And it's ok to point out the bad and not just accept it as "oh well, this is how it is in other sports". People who are lousy at their job generally are addressed.

People who are quick to throw out words like "conspiracy" to shut down conversations are the only ones using that word from what I've seen.

I am not trying to shut down any conversation Deb.

Go back and check his posts.

He suggested that dodgy officiating had something to do with the parity in the NHL.

That's conspiracy thinking.

And I didn't say I accepted it, I stated simply that inconsistent officiating happens in all team sports, at all levels.

I am a farmer deb and I work fucking hard.

My parents built a great reputation for the quality of our product ( flowers) and I have maintained that. 

Before that I was one of this best free Skiers, and MTB's in this country.

One of the reasons I like individual sports is that officials in my sports couldn't mess with the fact, that 1 minute 7 seconds, beat 1 minute 8.

And no one else could let you down.

It's all on you.

I put 100 percent into everything I do. 

15 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

'I can't stand' it: Canucks coach Rick Tocchet tired of embellishment in playoffs

The Canucks coach says he's not pointing fingers at Edmonton but that 'I would be very on guard with the refs this playoff with this embellishment'

https://canoe.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/i-cant-stand-it-canucks-coach-rick-tocchet-tired-of-embellishment-in-playoffs/wcm/fdb3c59f-8ac1-4b04-89df-4383f98c7d51

That’s why Tocchet is the best. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

If you don't think parity and growing the game doesn't have any effect on reffing, unfortunately you are out to lunch. 

See, here he goes again @-dlc-.

This is why I used the word conspiracy.

24 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

He's not pointing fingers at Edmonton, but he's pointing fingers at Edmonton 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The refs should be forced to analyze tape from previous rounds and take notes on who made them look silly.

Not saying don’t call actual penalties but if it’s a 50/50 lean towards the no call.

I'm just happy we don't have a bunch of head snapping divers. 

People rag on petey for falling, but the dude falls almost every shift. Its just part of how he engages imo. 

12 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Considering the league has referees who report to a superior who in turn reports to a director of officiating who then reports to Bettman who reports to the owners, what is it called then?  The league conspires to make as much profit as possible. And at the game level that’s refs managing outcomes. 

13 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Lol go tell mommy

The league is the one that first used the word "parity" 

Here's a question for you. 

If a team is over matched and the opposing (winning) team is killing them in posession and drew a bunch of (legit) penalties (say 5 penalties to 1 penalties) and are up 6-1 and a player on trailing team slightly hooks a player, do you think the refs call them for their 6th penalty or ignore it?  

Now if the situation was reversed and a player on the team that is up 6-1 and has had a 5-1 advantage in PP makes a slight hook, do you think the refs call it and give the losing team their 2nd PP? 

I think we all know the answer to that one. 

If you don't, I suggest you start watching hockey. 

• ThereItIs 1

44 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I'm far from a fan of Tocchet. This made me gain a little respect for him.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol go tell mommy

The league is the one that first used the word "parity" 

Here's a question for you. 

If a team is over matched and the opposing (winning) team is killing them in posession and drew a bunch of (legit) penalties (say 5 penalties to 1 penalties) and are up 6-1 and a player on trailing team slightly hooks a player, do you think the refs call them for their 6th penalty or ignore it?  

Now if the situation was reversed and a player on the team that is up 6-1 and has had a 5-1 advantage in PP makes a slight hook, do you think the refs call it and give the losing team their 2nd PP? 

I think we all know the answer to that one. 

If you don't, I suggest you start watching hockey. 

We had a ref a couple seasons ago get caught on a live mic saying pretty much exactly that. He was quickly dispatched. The refs manage games. The league manages the refs. It’s about money. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, -dlc- said:

It's funny because those who discuss officiating usually aren't hinting toward a conspiracy. Personally, I find it's not great in other games too.

All levels shouldn't be the same, top levels are just that and require top tier officiating.

Some refs do a better job than others so it's not ALL reffing, but there definitely is some power-mongering and ego involved. There are refs who have a history with some teams/players and each game should bring a clean slate if it's to be fairly overseen. Because where does their rap sheet end. Does it ever? 

Refs are human beings and just like any other profession, there are those who are good and bad at their job. And it's ok to point out the bad and not just accept it as "oh well, this is how it is in other sports". People who are lousy at their job generally are addressed.

People who are quick to throw out words like "conspiracy" to shut down conversations are the only ones using that word from what I've seen.

I watch quite a lot of WHL and BCHL games.  I find the officiating is usually at a higher level than the NHL.  Teams getting a veto list would certainly help at the NHL level, and it's not just us.  I think Toronto has a valid beef regarding McAuley given his history Keefe.  Sutherland shouldn't be working Canucks games, and other teams have their own examples.  Teams do need some recourse against problem officials in order to avoid another Auger incident.  Burrows likely wouldn't have felt the need to go public if there was an avenue to actually hold Auger accountable.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

We had a ref a couple seasons ago get caught on a live mic saying pretty much exactly that. He was quickly dispatched. The refs manage games. The league manages the refs. It’s about money. 

Yeah it's incredible that there's people that deny this. 

I don't think they're too bright. 

There was a leaked email (only because of court documents forcing the email into the public) where Colin Campbell called a player a "little puke". Funny thing was, that same player was the one that got in an altercation with his own son (Gregory Campbell) in that game... Talk about conflict of interest. 

Colin Campbell was in charge of the refs. 

Lol and he STILL has a job with the NHL

Keep plugging your ears and deny lol

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I watch quite a lot of WHL and BCHL games.  I find the officiating is usually at a higher level than the NHL.  Teams getting a veto list would certainly help at the NHL level, and it's not just us.  I think Toronto has a valid beef regarding McAuley given his history Keefe.  Sutherland shouldn't be working Canucks games, and other teams have their own examples.  Teams do need some recourse against problem officials in order to avoid another Auger incident.  Burrows likely wouldn't have felt the need to go public if there was an avenue to actually hold Auger accountable.

Lol yeah 

As if Burrows had nothing better to do than fabricate an entire story about Auger. 

Burrows was genuinely upset after the game. He had tears in his eyes because he knew Auger's prejudice against him cost his team the game. 

• Vintage 1