[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

LA only uses that at certain points, the Canucks do it too (as do almost all NHL teams). Other than than that, they're a 1-2-2 team.

What? LA plays their trapping 1-3-1 the entire game. They don’t play any other way. 

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Don't think they are insecure, and nobody doubt McD and Dry are fantastic players, but lets see how our boys fare against them, before we put the flag on half mast... 

This could be the McD/Dry show and good night Vienna, but could just as well become the Miller, Hughes and Petey show and bye bye Oilers... 

One thing that has happened under Tocchet is, the team has learnt to play defensive hockey... Huge difference from a year and a half ago.

Bingo Bango Luongo, Spook

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Saying they're a great team didn't even have anything to do with Van or the series.  It's just saying they're a great team.

If you manage to neutralize McD and Drai, you're definitely in a good spot, but the oilers are far from a two trick pony.  They've got a pretty solid lineup from top to bottom 

Nah you were saying they were a championship team... and showed their banners to prove it... The Oilers of 2024 have proved nothing yet...They have more experience than us, and that is an advantage, just.....

They are not a two persons team, but if you cancel out those two... you are half way there... 

We have a deeper line up (providing Petey decides to go full Tonto)....

And we have a far better D than Oilers as well + perhaps better Goaltending...

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, stawns said:

LA only uses that at certain points, the Canucks do it too (as do almost all NHL teams). Other than than that, they're a 1-2-2 team.

Sure, VAN doesn't use the 1-2-2 in all scenarios; it doesn't apply, for example, when they've got puck possession in the o zone, or when the opposing team has possession in theirs. The underlying point is that it's not clear that EDM's performance against LA immediately translates to how they matchup against VAN. LA and VAN play very different styles (man-on-man vs zone, usage of 1-2-2 vs 1-3-1, etc.), have totally different personnel and strengths, etc.

Edited by syntheticity
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Nah you were saying they were a championship team... and showed their banners to prove it... The Oilers of 2024 have proved nothing yet...They have more experience than us, and that is an advantage, just.....

They are not a two persons team, but if you cancel out those two... you are half way there... 

We have a deeper line up (providing Petey decides to go full Tonto)....

And we have a far better D than Oilers as well + perhaps better Goaltending...

Again, I said if you neutralize those two, you're in good shape.  I also said, in some ways they matchup better against the Oilers than the Preds.

If they stay out of the box, I think they can beat them 5v5

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, I said if you neutralize those two, you're in good shape.  I also said, in some ways they matchup better against the Oilers than the Preds.

Agree on all counts...

1 hour ago, T_Linden said:

What am I missing? How does the Avs game have any bearing on our schedule? Are they dead against two games on the same night in round 2? If that’s the case, shouldn’t the team with the conflict wait? It’s super annoying as I’m trying to book a trip to game 3 but can’t as there’s no schedule!

Exactly this. I bought a ticket for Game 1, having heard on Sportsnet on TV and having read on a Sportsnet article that the game is Tuesday. I'm only in Vancouver for Tuesday night, then back to Victoria on Wednesday. If they change the game to Wednesday, I'll be so annoyed. It's insane that they would leave it so late to decide, based on some other game. 

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)

According  to Bing copilot, here are VAN's d-pairings for the 2024 playoffs lol

The Vancouver Canucks have been performing admirably in the 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Let’s take a closer look at their defensive pairs during this exciting postseason:

1. Quinn Hughes and Travis Hamonic: This top pairing combines the offensive prowess of Hughes with Hamonic’s defensive stability. Hughes is known for his skating ability and playmaking skills, while Hamonic provides a physical presence and solid defensive play.

2. Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Jack Rathbone: Ekman-Larsson, acquired in a trade, has seamlessly fit into the Canucks’ blue line. His experience and offensive instincts complement Rathbone’s youthful energy. Rathbone has impressed with his puck-moving abilities and defensive awareness.

3. Luke Schenn and Kyle Burroughs: Schenn brings a veteran presence to the third pairing, using his physicality and shot-blocking skills effectively. Burroughs, a steady defenseman, complements Schenn’s game by making smart decisions and providing stability in the defensive zone.

These pairings have contributed significantly to the Canucks’ success in the playoffs. As they continue their journey, fans eagerly await each game, hoping for more standout performances from these defensive duos! 🏒🔥

For more detailed statistics and player information, you can check the official Canucks playoff stats and stay tuned for upcoming matchups in the Western Conference Second Round against the Edmonton Oilers1. Go Canucks! 🚀🏒

Screenshot 2024-05-05 080441.png

Edited by syntheticity
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

For anyone that cares it’s interesting to read Calgarypuck’s thread on the Canucks Oilers series, flames fans seem to mostly be rooting for the Canucks (albeit making it clear that they aren’t happy to be having to do that lol) and they seem to give the Canucks more of a chance in the series than most other neutral fan bases around the league. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Screenshot_20240505-231354.png

Wed would be good for Nux. 

More time for guys to heal, Demko to potentially return later in the series. 

I'm not sure I see if that way. They'll have Van / Edmonton playing on the Saturday timeslot for sure for most revenue. Backing it up, that means if they move from Tuesday to Wednesday, then they'll still need to play one more game before Saturday, as I really doubt they'd have the series only at game two by next Saturday (especially when round 2 is officially kicking off today in the east). I'm imagining that would mean they'd squeeze in a game on Thurs or Fri, leading to back-to-back nights for both teams. That's not ideal. 

9 minutes ago, CaribouCanuck said:

For anyone that cares it’s interesting to read Calgarypuck’s thread on the Canucks Oilers series, flames fans seem to mostly be rooting for the Canucks (albeit making it clear that they aren’t happy to be having to do that lol) and they seem to give the Canucks more of a chance in the series than most other neutral fan bases around the league. 

The Grinch Heart GIF by The Good Films

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tas said:

i think the oilers are a house of cards. 

I think a good coach has brought structure and stability to that lineup.  They're going to be a very tough out.  But, like I said, I think the Canucks can beat them 5v5

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, stawns said:

lol.

1) Coilers dive as much as the Preds

2) look at point #1

Extremely unlikely we'll *EVER* have more power plays in a given game than the Coilers in this series imho (regardless on how disciplined we play).  Key to the series will be our PK.  As you said, 5 on 5, we can beat them.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

All the better imho.  Nothing to lose going into a series being expected to lose.  All the pressure will be on the Coilers.  

Exactly. This was supposed to ‘cup or bust’ year for Oilers. We busted them then regular season, and here’s to hoping we do it to them in post season too.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I'm not sure I see if that way. They'll have Van / Edmonton playing on the Saturday timeslot for sure for most revenue. Backing it up, that means if they move from Tuesday to Wednesday, then they'll still need to play one more game before Saturday, as I really doubt they'd have the series only at game two by next Saturday (especially when round 2 is officially kicking off today in the east). I'm imagining that would mean they'd squeeze in a game on Thurs or Fri, leading to back-to-back nights for both teams. That's not ideal. 

I think that's definitely the reason for the Tuesday start

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

lol.

1) Coilers dive as much as the Preds

2) look at point #1

Extremely unlikely we'll *EVER* have more power plays in a given game than the Coilers in this series imho (regardless on how disciplined we play).  Key to the series will be our PK.  As you said, 5 on 5, we can beat them.

Then the Canucks have to adjust to not take penalties.  That's on them.........you don't just say "the calls are going to go against us, so why bother adapting".  It's going to be a short series if that's the mentality.

• Cheers 1

Every series has two days off built in.

Theres absolutely no reason for back to backs. If anything they would play Wednesday/Saturday and only have one day in between the rest of the way.

36 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

Sure, VAN doesn't use the 1-2-2 in all scenarios; it doesn't apply, for example, when they've got puck possession in the o zone, or when the opposing team has possession in theirs. The underlying point is that it's not clear that EDM's performance against LA immediately translates to how they matchup against VAN. LA and VAN play very different styles (man-on-man vs zone, usage of 1-2-2 vs 1-3-1, etc.), have totally different personnel and strengths, etc.

Again, the kings use the 1-3-1 when they dump the puck in on a line change or the opposition makes a quick transition, otherwise, it's the standard 1-2-2.

Just now, stawns said:

Then the Canucks have to adjust to not take penalties.  That's on them.........you don't just say "the calls are going to go against us, so why bother adapting".  It's going to be a short series if that's the mentality.

It's reality (imho).  We saw that with this past series.  Unlike the Preds though the Coilers thrive on the power play.  Tough "not to take penalties" when the other team dives (and the refs refuse to call 'unsportmanlike penalties').

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2