[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

OK but you know in reality that there's a limit to this. You can't play hard and not put yourself in position for a weak make up call, it happens all the time. 

The reality is, they have to play the games as they are, not what they think they should be.  If the refs are going to call a lot of penalties, then the only course of action is to adjust your game to takd fewer penalties 

What other options do you see?

11 hours ago, stawns said:

I know that's what they were referencing, but they are a championship team.  And, they do have a member of that championship team on the bench with them 

I say Canucks in six, what’s your prediction?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Then the Canucks have to adjust to not take penalties.  That's on them.........you don't just say "the calls are going to go against us, so why bother adapting".  It's going to be a short series if that's the mentality.

The adapting will be don't dare touch an oiler while the oilers run over us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It's reality (imho).  We saw that with this past series.  Unlike the Preds though the Coilers thrive on the power play.  Tough "not to take penalties" when the other team dives (and the refs refuse to call 'unsportmanlike penalties').

Again, the reality is that you have to play the series as it is, not what you think it should be.  Regardless of how you feel about the officiating, it's the reality of what's happening on the ice.......you adjust or you make a quick exit

Just now, Joe King said:

Don't forget the Flames series against us back in the first year of Jim Benning as GM.  Refs swallowed their whistles & let Ferland charge at whoever was on the ice.  There's little you can do to adjust to that (imho).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, I said if you neutralize those two, you're in good shape.  I also said, in some ways they matchup better against the Oilers than the Preds.

If they stay out of the box, I think they can beat them 5v5

Yes my prediction is this comes down to the pp.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Joe King said:

Then that's what they'd have to do.  What's the other option......play tough, give the Oilers pp chance after chance and get smoked?

The oilers are running around 50% on the pp.........the Canucks cannot beat them on special teams, they have to keep the games 5v5 as much as possible

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Again, the reality is that you have to play the series as it is, not what you think it should be.  Regardless of how you feel about the officiating, it's the reality of what's happening on the ice.......you adjust or you make a quick exit

It's the sh*ts (officiating).  And has been for a while.  Sometimes it has little effect on a series like the series we had against the Sharks.  Sharks were the better team but man oh man was the officiating so lopsided.  Sharks didn't need any help to beat us (they, imho, were the better team).

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

The reality is, they have to play the games as they are, not what they think they should be.  If the refs are going to call a lot of penalties, then the only course of action is to adjust your game to takd fewer penalties 

They can adjust all they want but it's out of their hands. You make it sound like it's completely on the Canucks when there have been some phantom calls and double standards.

The reality is...they can only do so much. Keeping the game at 5 on 5 isn't solely up to the Canucks. Sure, avoid the calls that they can but if the same rules applied to Garland as some other players, we'd have a man advantage a good deal of the time. Myers gets penalized for things other players don't. That's the reality of the situation.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Don't forget the Flames series against us back in the first year of Jim Benning as GM.  Refs swallowed their whistles & let Ferland charge at whoever was on the ice.  There's little you can do to adjust to that (imho).

So you think they key yo victory is to not adjust to what's happening on the ice?

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It's the sh*ts (officiating).  And has been for a while.  Sometimes it has little effect on a series like the series we had against the Sharks.  Sharks were the better team but man oh man was the officiating so lopsided.  Sharks didn't need any help to beat us (they, imho, were the better team).

So what, they can't do anything about it can they?

• Cheers 1

it really depends on the mood of the ref and how much they are willing to let go. 

Lets look at round 1 game 1 vs game 7. I think you'd agree, game 1 was a really well called game where the refs let playoff hockey happen and didn't effect the outcome. Game 7? a reasonable person could argue both calls on us weren't appropriate, and not getting a single call our way seems a bit much. 

So in that game, how could we have taken fewer and not effected the playing style to the point of conceding some plays to Nashville? 

none really. It like being mad about the weather, they simply have to find a way. 

• Like 1

The second round playoff series between the Edmonton Oilers and Vancouver Canucks seems likely to start early next week.

All signs point towards the two Pacific Division powerhouses playing Game 1 on Tuesday, May 7.  Sportsnet‘s David Amber referenced Tuesday on tonight’s broadcast and it’s also been reported by Postmedia‘s Patrick Johnston as a likely start date.

Although J.T. Miller did reference Game 1 as potentially being on Sunday during a post-game interview tonight, signs point to that being incorrect. The NHL has already released the schedule for two games on Sunday and this series was not included. It seems unlikely that this game would be added 24 hours in advance.

Rogers Arena is booked on Monday for a Pearl Jam concert which means that night is not an option.

The Canucks will host the first two games of this second round series as they won the division crown for the first time in 11 years during the regular season.

So plenty of time to debate shit.. < I added this. Can you tell? 😇

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

So you think they key yo victory is to not adjust to what's happening on the ice?

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

So what, they can't do anything about it can they?

I guess the reality that some of us see is that....it's difficult to "adjust" to something, in this case, quite regularly shit reffing, when it's like a box of chocolates and you don't know what you're gonna get. You don't know what you're supposed to adjust to. The goalposts and standards shift every game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

Yes my prediction is this comes down to the pp.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

it really depends on the mood of the ref and how much they are willing to let go. 

Lets look at round 1 game 1 vs game 7. I think you'd agree, game 1 was a really well called game where the refs let playoff hockey happen and didn't effect the outcome. Game 7? a reasonable person could argue both calls on us weren't appropriate, and not getting a single call our way seems a bit much. 

So in that game, how could we have taken fewer and not effected the playing style to the point of conceding some plays to Nashville? 

none really. It like being mad about the weather, they simply have to find a way

Exactly, they have to figure out how to work within that reality and adjust to it.

I also don't really understand why people are jumping to conclusions about officiating........why bother watching the games if you (you, in general) think that's how it's going to go.  It must be a horrible way to think about hockey and can't be a very fun way to exist as a fan.

The Kings took 20 penalties against the Oilers in round one, mainly because they were chasing the puck a lot.  I think the canucks are a better possession team than the Kings and will have the puck more, which should translate to them being a fewer chasing situations, which should mean being in a position to take fewer penalties.

They absolutely have to be as disciplined as they possibly can

• ThereItIs 2

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm curious. For example that series against the flames were Ferlund is running and hitting late and the stripes looked the other way. Potential injuries are possible as the team that's being flattened I wonder what adjustments to avoid (the box) could be made. 

Just wondering.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1