[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

2 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Of course it won't. Mcd will def shake loose a few times. But I think being out every shift with either Miller Joshua Lindy up his ass will break him. 

My earlier response:

6 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

We don't play man defence - you rarely see that in today's game.  There are too many criss-cross and scissor plays in the zone for that to work.  Think about how we move the puck offensively.  All it takes is one switch by Hughes to expose a man defence.  That’s why everyone plays zone.  We play zone.  So the defenders must cover behind the net.

As a more direct response to your statement, McDavid very specifically likes to cut behind the net WITHOUT the puck, only receiving a pass once he's made it around.  That means any attempt to impede his movement must be done without committing an interference penalty.  Watch this video and you will realize how impossible it is for a forward to stay on an off-puck McDavid.  Nobody plays man defence anymore.

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Yeah both wingers will have to cheat down a little bit which leaves the point open a bit but at least you keep them to the perimeter. They also don't have a Makar, Josi, Hughes on the blue line so that mitigates some of the risk from the blue line.

You would be leaving Evan Bouchard open on the point.  He has 82 points in the regular season and is tied with Makar at 9 points in 5 playoff games.  He doesn't skate with the puck like the guys you mentioned but he will absolutely generate offence in his own lethal way.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Exactly, they have to figure out how to work within that reality and adjust to it.

I also don't really understand why people are jumping to conclusions about officiating........why bother watching the games if you (you, in general) think that's how it's going to go.  It must be a horrible way to think about hockey and can't be a very fun way to exist as a fan.

The Kings took 20 penalties against the Oilers in round one, mainly because they were chasing the puck a lot.  I think the canucks are a better possession team than the Kings and will have the puck more, which should translate to them being a fewer chasing situations, which should mean being in a position to take fewer penalties.

They absolutely have to be as disciplined as they possibly can

for me its about the games when refs change within a game itself. Something thats not cross checking is suddenly cross checking late in the 3rd, that kind of thing.

If the refs are consistent within a game, then no one can complain. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joe King said:

I'm curious. For example that series against the flames were Ferlund is running and hitting late and the stripes looked the other way. Potential injuries are possible as the team that's being flattened I wonder what adjustments to avoid (the box) could be made. 

Just wondering.

You move the puck quicker, you line match to get away from certain situations, you be proactive and take the body to him, you try to goad him into being undisciplined, you keep the puck in the flames zone as much as possible where he has to be positionally disciplined and can't just run around like a mad man.

WD got absolutely out coached in that series, plain and simple.

Just now, Bob Long said:

for me its about the games when refs change within a game itself. Something thats not cross checking is suddenly cross checking late in the 3rd, that kind of thing.

But that's nothing new, that's been hockey from the very beginning.......especially since the two referee system was implemented.

Regardless, there's nothing you can do about that, other than adjust and be disciplined.

To me, it sounds like people who already talking about this atd throwing in the towel before the series starts.  

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Exactly!

We'll watch 5 crosschecks then suddenly a guy goes to the ice like he's been shot and once the call's been made, he gets up and skates to the face off on the pp.

The refs HAVE to do better at not buying in to the dives/drama/whining and use what they see, not what they're being told (or sold).

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

9 hours ago, Integra250 said:

Am I one of the few not worried about the Oilers at all? Yeah they have arguably the two best scorers in the world but aside from those two, they’re an average team. You neutralize one of those two and players like Hyman and RNH can’t generate anything on their own. I fully trust all our centres to contain one or both of them. 

Canucks in 6.

I fully agree, The Coilers are one of those Championship Regular Season teams but I don't see them as dangerous in the playoffs. See the Leafs. 😄

We play a far better playoff game and I am confident in how Tocchet has gotten our guys to play on the ice and in their own heads.

16 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I'm really glad the guys finished this off without needing an extra game tomorrow. Huggy looks absolutely exhausted - that series was a tough one for him.

As much as I hate waiting for the game, it's a good (brief) recovery period. They really did themselves a favour by getting it done.

Agree 110% 

Posted (edited)

Some things I will say about the series in the Canucks favour. 

The Oilers defence and goaltending isn’t as good as Nashville’s, yes I realize they have improved in that regard since Knoblauch took over but they still aren’t as good as Nashville, Imagine if the Canucks get 80 shot attempts in a game against the Oilers like they did against Nashville? That’s going to spell disaster for Edmonton. Edmonton isn’t going to block 30-40 shots a game like the Predators did. And the shots that do get through Stuart Skinner isn’t going to be able to bail them out like Saros was for Nashville. The Canucks should have a much easier time scoring against Edmonton.

I know a lot of people around the hockey world are making a big deal out of how amazing Edmonton’s special teams looked in the LA series but let’s not forget that Nashville after the all star break had the second best power play in the entire league and the Canucks penalty kill almost completely shut it down so I don’t buy that the Canucks are totally screwed if Edmonton starts getting power plays. And on the flip side the Canucks have a lot more offensive firepower than the Kings did who’s bread and butter is trying to keep games as low scoring as humanly possible so I don’t think the Oilers penalty kill is as good as it looks either. 

And all the pressure is going to be on Edmonton, from the Canucks POV in a year where almost everyone in the hockey world thought it would just be another typical Canuck year that we’re accustomed to seeing they’ve already won a division title and a playoff series this is already a successful year for the young inexperienced Canucks from their POV and any further successes are just going to be treated as a pleasant surprise rather than something that is expected of them. The Oilers are the perennial contender that’s expected to have a legit shot at the cup. And after getting dominated by the Canucks in the regular season any further losses are going to be seen as absolutely shameful and embarrassing. The Oilers have all the pressure in the World and the Canucks have none. 

There is plenty of reasons to believe the Canucks have more than just a punchers chance in this series. 

Edited by CaribouCanuck
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

But that's nothing new, that's been hockey from the very beginning.......especially since the two referee system was implemented.

Regardless, there's nothing you can do about that, other than adjust and be disciplined.

To me, it sounds like people who already talking about this atd throwing in the towel before the series starts.  

You threw in the towel long ago...not expecting this inexperienced team to do much against the big bad [insert team name here]. You continue to doubt this team and "give them credit" for doing what they have without really giving them credit. You speak of the strength of our opponents despite us beating them....there has to be a point where you put THIS team at the same level as teams they're beating.

And this "from the beginning" is crap. Things evolve over time (or at least they should). It's not an excuse for sub par performances to say "oh well, it's always been (crap) like this...adjust". In any other situation this would not be an acceptable response.

We're not throwing in the towel it's more just being aware of the situation. And not accepting it as unchangeable.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)

Here is an interesting article ranking the top 5 defensive groups in the NHL mid-season

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-defenses/

For those too lazy to read, the order goes:

1) Colorado Avalanche

2) Las Vegas Golden Knights

3)Vancouver Canucks

4) Carolina Hurricanes

5) New York Rangers

I would probably switch Vancouver and Vegas now, what about you? Edmonton, you ask ... in my opinion somewhere between cooked Flotsam and Hot Garbage in a bin baking for 3 days in the sun.

image.gif.be80f99593bc2f4fec4d9dc15f7c978b.gif

What really matters is what defense is the best from here on ...

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Joe King said:

I'm curious. For example that series against the flames were Ferlund is running and hitting late and the stripes looked the other way. Potential injuries are possible as the team that's being flattened I wonder what adjustments to avoid (the box) could be made. 

Just wondering.

You can't avoid the box but when/if the Canucks are losing you beat the piss out of him and take your penalty haha. I am old school. Luckily Ferland isn't very big.

In today's game not sure that works anymore.

I think a better example is Zadorov says if you don't stop running around I'm running your smallest guy.

The rough stuff is easy especially in this day and age. I worry more about the random interference, holds, hooks etc.

Edited by chris12345
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

Stawns favourite team, the Oilers;

Let’s take them down! 

I thought his favourite team was the one that wears the stripes.

I'm just kidding, Stawns I'm just trying to lighten the mood a bit.

I do value all opinions and take most with a grain of salt

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

not sure its that simple, I do think McBaby does whine his way into a few extra per year. Sid used to do this too early on, but he's dialled it down a lot. 

I don't think anyone is throwing in the towel, but they are expecting some questionable calls because McDavid. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Exactly!

We'll watch 5 crosschecks then suddenly a guy goes to the ice like he's been shot and once the call's been made, he gets up and skates to the face off on the pp.

The refs HAVE to do better at not buying in to the dives/drama/whining and use what they see, not what they're being told (or sold).

yep. I don't buy into the argument that its as old as hockey. We can continue to improve the game, and have, and reffing consistency at least within a game is achievable. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think a good coach has brought structure and stability to that lineup.  They're going to be a very tough out.  But, like I said, I think the Canucks can beat them 5v5

i think knoblauch is way out of his depth and the turnaround is based on fear of repercussions for failure and simply undoing woodcroft's offseason defensive changes that had the whole team thinking instead of acting (the same thing that destroyed travis green's canucks tenure).

Just now, tas said:

i think knoblauch is way out of his depth and the turnaround is based on fear of repercussions for failure and simply undoing woodcroft's offseason defensive changes that had the whole team thinking instead of acting (the same thing that destroyed travis green's canucks tenure).

this is kind of interesting.... how much of an advantage is our coaching staff vs EDMs? 

20 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

My earlier response:

As a more direct response to your statement, McDavid very specifically likes to cut behind the net WITHOUT the puck, only receiving a pass once he's made it around.  That means any attempt to impede his movement must be done without committing an interference penalty.  Watch this video and you will realize how impossible it is for a forward to stay on an off-puck McDavid.  Nobody plays man defence anymore.

You would be leaving Evan Bouchard open on the point.  He has 82 points in the regular season and is tied with Makar at 9 points in 5 playoff games.  He doesn't skate with the puck like the guys you mentioned but he will absolutely generate offence in his own lethal way.

You make some points here that are obvious to us and thus more obvious to the Canucks staff. Are you supporting the notion that the oilers are unbeatable? And why, in a Canucks forum, are you posting Jesus McDavid greatness videos? I didn’t watch it, nor do I care.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

this is kind of interesting.... how much of an advantage is our coaching staff vs EDMs? 

i would say substantial. 

42 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, the kings use the 1-3-1 when they dump the puck in on a line change or the opposition makes a quick transition, otherwise, it's the standard 1-2-2.

Not sure how that's relevant to the underlying point that LA has a different overall style (e.g. prefering more man on man coverage in the d zone, more emphasis on clogging up the neutral zone) and personnel. Are you denying that?

1 minute ago, tas said:

i would say substantial. 

I'd think that a big one would be that our very experienced group can spot in-game changes or trends and relate that to the guys on the bench very quickly. Not sure Knobby has that in him yet. He's also yet to feel the pressure of a round 2 series in his career. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'd think that a big one would be that our very experienced group can spot in-game changes or trends and relate that to the guys on the bench very quickly. Not sure Knobby has that in him yet. He's also yet to feel the pressure of a round 2 series in his career. 

he's got a team that can, should, and has won games on its own, without coaching. I'm curious to see what happens when they DO need coaching. 

• Like 1