[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

30 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

NOBODY IN THE NHL PLAYS MAN DEFENSE ANYMORE

Who are you trying to convince??

its a hybrid of the 2

if youre checking the puck carrier you dont just drop him because they leave your area with the exception of going behind the net

2 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Who are you trying to convince??

its a hybrid of the 2

if youre checking the puck carrier you dont just drop him because they leave your area with the exception of going behind the net

Guess which player on Edmonton LOVES to go behind the net WITHOUT the puck

6 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Miller < McDavid

Pettersson < Draisaitl

Boeser = Hyman

Lindholm = Henrique

Garland < Nugent-Hopkins

Joshua = Kane

Hughes > Bouchard

Hronek > Ekholm

Zadorov > Nurse

Soucy > Ceci

Demko-Silovs-DeSmith > Skinner

Tocchet > Knoblauch

They say D wins championships (and coaching), so here's hoping.

Hyman is a McDraisaitl merchant and Henrique can't even hold Lindholm's jockstrap lol. The only edge these guys have on us is having two top five players. 

29 minutes ago, stawns said:

They don't really have a different style.......in fact almost all teams play the same style these days.  The league has become very homogenized and the teams that succeed are the teams who play a more disciplined game and stick to the system better than anyone else.

Every team plays a 1-3-1 when they can't get a fire check going, the Kid NGS just do it better than most........at least against the Canucks 

You seem to be using the word "style" in a different sense from how I was using the term. I nowhere claim that VAN's style reduces to a rigid 1-2-2 system or that LA's style reduces to a rigid 1-3-1, nor did anything I say imply that. In the sense I was using the term, there's an overall systems difference that's widely acknowledged. For example:

Connor McDavid said he expects the Vancouver Canucks to present a different kind of challenge to the Edmonton Oilers in the best-of-7 Western Conference Second Round.

The Canucks' defensive system varies from what the Oilers saw against the Los Angeles Kings in the first round, which Edmonton won in five games. Vancouver advanced to the second round Friday after eliminating the Nashville Predators in six games.

“Yeah they do, definitely,” the Oilers captain said Saturday when asked to compare the two. “L.A. is more man-on-man, they (Vancouver) are a little more zone, they pack it in pretty tight. We have to find a way to generate against that. They have some big D-men that don’t go too far from the net, so we have to find a way to generate some offense.” (full article: Oilers hope to turn tables on Canucks in Western 2nd Round | NHL.com)

And there are a number other differences beyond the ones mentioned here by McDavid...

But in any case, let's agree to avoid a pointless verbal dispute over the meaning of the word "style." If you prefer to refer to these differences as differences of implementation or discipline or something else, instead of differences of style, then fine. The point of my original post is that there are important differences between how EDM matches up against VAN vs how they matched up against LA, and it's not obvious that their success against LA implies automatic success against VAN.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Adam Henrique isn't in the same stratosphere as Elias Lindholm...

You'd think, but

Henrique - 2 pts in 5 game

Lindholm - 3 pts in 6 games

Although, Lindholm is better defensively and obviously at faceoffs. Fair point. Lindholm is better than Henrique.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Miller < McDavid

Pettersson < Draisaitl

Boeser = Hyman

Lindholm = Henrique

Garland < Nugent-Hopkins

Joshua = Kane

Hughes > Bouchard

Hronek > Ekholm

Zadorov > Nurse

Soucy > Ceci

Tocchet > Knoblauch

The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.  

I think Nux is a better team. They don't have a talent like McDavid, but they can beat them.  Just like many teams have the last several years in the playoffs.  

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Miller < McDavid

Pettersson < Draisaitl

Boeser = Hyman

Lindholm = Henrique

Garland < Nugent-Hopkins

Joshua = Kane

Hughes > Bouchard

Hronek > Ekholm

Zadorov > Nurse

Soucy > Ceci

Tocchet > Knoblauch

I wanna play!

Petey << Mcdavo

Miller = Draisaitl (hear me out)

boeser = RNH

Lindholm > Henrique

Garland < Hyman

Joshua = Kane 

Hughes >> Bouchard

Hronek < Ekholm 

zaddy > Nurse

Soucy > Ceci

our coaching staff >>

our goalies without demmer = if skinner plays tip top 

if we get demko back >

miller I have him = draisaitl because I think we are gonna make leon lose his composure. He loses his head to good defence and I think we are gonna knock him off his game and I think miller is gonna stay composed and be a monster again.

ekholm os their best dman I think he’s elected the floor of their defence immensely and I like him more than hronek 

hoefully Zadorov isn’t overwhelmed by the speed of Edmonton and can still be super effective. They are familiar with eachother too

Edited by R3aL
  • Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, spook007 said:

F that.... then put a nobody with size to take out McD, and get a major + suspension. 
If the cards aren't dealt fairly, you make your own luck. 

I wish we had someone "disposable" like that.

I mean, Big Z is a great deterrent for us but I'd hate to lose him for any games. Gone are the days of having someone who can just play that role.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

Petterson needs to stay in his feet, every shift he goes down too easy - you can tell he is trying to sell a penalty 

that may come back to bite him in the ass

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller right now is better than Draisaitl.  He's almost statistically the same as Draisaitl during the season while being miles ahead of him defensively ad physically...

Sneaky! This is true...

57 minutes ago, stawns said:

They can't get into a run and gun matchup with the Oilers, imo.  They need to be on the right side of the puck possession numbers and keep the Oilers in their end as much as they can. If the games open up, the Canucks are in trouble I think.

They got here with stingy defense and good puck possession.........they need to double down on that

I think that is the situation in a nutshell. Frustrate the Oiler forwards in the neutral zone and in the d-zone. Keep them to the outside as much as possible. Score the first goal so they don't have to chase the game. LA had to change their game a lot because of that. If there is a clean hit take it. 

This is not the same team that Vancouver beat 3 X last fall. Edmonton is playing good hockey. Let's hope they are coming out of that LA series overconfident. Canucks get the drop on them and take Game 1. Make Edmonton chase them. My gut tells me that Hogs has a great series. There are so many Canuck weapons due for a breakout. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Garland < Nugent-Hopkins

not sure I can agree with this one, Garly has proven to be a great agitator and has a great sense for big moments. Nugget-Hophead? not sure he's more effective in the playoffs. Regular season more points, sure. 

4 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Petterson needs to stay in his feet, every shift he goes down too easy - you can tell he is trying to sell a penalty 

that may come back to bite him in the ass

I honestly don't feel that it's to draw a penalty AT ALL. But I could be wrong.

I just think it's possibly a matter of him not having great stability....maybe some more core work? He's tall and lanky. He's also overthinking things and that can pull some of his focus off...I think once he starts just playing on natural instinct again things'll improve. He's being pretty crowded out there.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Guess which player on Edmonton LOVES to go behind the net WITHOUT the puck

Yeah, 

dont chase, block out the lanes

McDavid is incredible and can do things others have never been able to.

to defend against him defenders need to make the route through the check and block lanes, but give him space so they can adjust and stay with him. As he gets closer to the net tighten up the space but dont chase

trying to check him close all over the ice is how he creates space on his terms and then defenders start getting out of position 

playing zone defence on a player like McDavid just gives more opportunities for miscommunication and dropped coverages with the Defenders 

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think that is the situation in a nutshell. Frustrate the Oiler forwards in the neutral zone and in the d-zone. Keep them to the outside as much as possible. Score the first goal so they don't have to chase the game. LA had to change their game a lot because of that. If there is a clean hit take it. 

This is not the same team that Vancouver beat 3 X last fall. Edmonton is playing good hockey. Let's hope they are coming out of that LA series overconfident. Canucks get the drop on them and take Game 1. Make Edmonton chase them. My gut tells me that Hogs has a great series. There are so many Canuck weapons due for a breakout. 

I think the Canucks skilled guys are going to get a lot more room to operate.  Hogz and Petey both looked better in game 6, so I'm hopeful too

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2