[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

42 minutes ago, IBatch said:

horse gtfo GIF

Heffy we don't always see eye to eye, but right now we do.  Live feed Bouchard "training " for the second round.   Can't teach dumb, quite like this. 

IMG_4039.png

Isn't that how the Lone Ranger used to get on Silver? I never remembered him getting kicked in the knackers. I guess if Meyers can handle it the rest should.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

My friend was telling me he plays a lot of Red Dead Redemption 2, and the horses tend to poop a lot.

So if an NPC gives him any lip he pushes them off the back of his horse, and lets the horse do his business.

😆

Haha, I used to play a bit of Red dead Redemption 1 ... a lot of fun ... I wasn't very good at it but pretty cool gameplay and gunfights. Just like the old days the pistols aren't accurate and shooting on horseback is next to impossible.

• Like 1

While the oilers dominated the Kings, 5 on 5 they scored 12, gave up 12. It was all special teams, oilers 9/20, kings 0/12.

Regular season we outscored them at both 5 on 5 and 7-4 on pp goals. 

We're the underdogs but i like our chances.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Lots of discussion about how this series will go - EDM does have the experience of close results the past few years whereas this is the Canucks first run after several forgettable seasons - although they have a 7-6 record since January 01 against playoff teams, Oilers did look impressive at times against good teams such as the Avs at home.   Some mentioned the Kings tend to play more man to man - which is probably not the best option against McD with his get away skating ability.  Will be up to RT to create a system that can contain odd man rushes and maintain the box outs.

IMO - the longer the series goes, better for the Canucks given the heavy odds from essentially all previews indicating Edmonton advancing. Who knows - maybe the Canucks will employ tighter "Predator type" hockey + take a few things from Brunette's tactics in this series -  which will be ironic given their mention of lack of room in the last series.  Whatever it takes to win...even if it is 1-0  Ill be happy.

justwin.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HKSR said:

You realize the game is insanely fast out there right? If you send that kinda message to your team, you will get steam rolled in the playoffs.  You're literally telling your team to not engage.

I stand by it that it's a stupid argument.  I'd rather my team play physical than to just sit back and let the opposition dictate the play.

Yes I do. Have you ever played competitive hockey?

We were coached in many big games to completely lay off the fringe stuff and keep it 100% clean so we didn't lose from an iffy call. This is also a big talking point every year across the NHL playoffs from coaches, pundits, players, newscasters, and announcers alike. It kind of sucks like you stated but it's a sacrifice you make against teams that will make you pay otherwise. It's something you do in order to win the game.

The nature of embellishment is that you're doing something kind of illegal in the first place and the other player makes it look worse than it was. You can engage all you want, with clean, legal hits and defence, just don't do anything outside the rulebook that can be called or embellished. No one is saying to lay back or not be physical. There is a lot of subtle differences you're missing here and you're misunderstanding the argument itself.

You may call it stupid but I can 100% guarantee Tocchet doesn't and he's relaying that message to the team clearly and often. The series kind of depends on it.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 2

Listening to Spittin Chicklets and everyone save for R.A is going Oilers in 5 (Whitney Oilers in 6). 

Oilers are considered a juggernaut for good reason.  But Ive said this before: this Canucks team reminds me of Tocchett’s 2018-20 Coyotes-a PITA to play against w more top end talent.  Really hoping everyone in the Canucks line up rises to the occasion and shows EDM what’s up.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Alternative is DeBrusk who is their colour guy for home games and also isn't capable of conducting himself appropriately.  Sportsnet really doesn't care how badly their broadcasters disgrace the country with their lack of professionalism; we are lucky to be spared from Singh.

I'll take Cuthbert and Simpson/Debrusk all day long! Was dreading having to hear Singh shrill ever 2 minutes.

To be right honest, I actually like Debrusk. Though he is a jug head, he knows when to speak and when to shut up, and his voice monotone 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Good.   They beat us so badly in the 80's we never got to play them in the post season.   Aside from 1986.   Our record is 2-7.    Fuck the Oilers and their stupid mall.    6-7.    And all that crying in central Alberta would be nice to see. 

Edit:  As for the Oiler apologists on this site, who cares if your "right"  ... go take a seat with them at this stage of the game.  Pick a side and STFU.   They don't have a Gretzky or Furh, or Coffey (ok on the bench, which is a little scary), just McHouse, DryDick and  a horse kicked RHD plus well a couple good players.     We stay out of the box not a problem.   And they are going to feel the pain tomorrow night.  

Remember too that if God loved the oilers or Edmonton fans he wouldnt have put them in Edmonton

we have this in the bag

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

If the Canucks are allowed to play a physical game they can win this series.  If the refs don't allow the Canucks big defence play a physical game they'll be killed on the PP.  It all comes down to what the refs want.  Tocchet alluded to this, in being allowed to play. 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

While the oilers dominated the Kings, 5 on 5 they scored 12, gave up 12. It was all special teams, oilers 9/20, kings 0/12.

Regular season we outscored them at both 5 on 5 and 7-4 on pp goals. 

We're the underdogs but i like our chances.

The only reason we are underdogs is cause of everyone's hard on for McDavid.

Hockey is not basketball, it's a team sport, no player is better than a team.

If that was the case Gretzky would have won many cups after Edmonton.

Just ask the Maple Leafs, on paper they were better than the Bruins, all that star power, the bruins with no centre depth.

Canucks play a much better team game than the oilers.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

If the Canucks are allowed to play a physical game they can win this series.  If the refs don't allow the Canucks big defence play a physical game they'll be killed on the PP.  It all comes down to what the refs want.  Tocchet eluded to this, in being allowed to play. 

Did Tochett say we'd be "killed on the PP"?   Let's not be so dramatic.   Both teams will play physical.   Let's just wait and see.   They allowed both teams to "play" in the first round.    

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Breadnbutta said:

The only reason we are underdogs is cause of everyone's hard on for McDavid.

Hockey is not basketball, it's a team sport, no player is better than a team.

If that was the case Gretzky would have won many cups after Edmonton.

Just ask the Maple Leafs, on paper they were better than the Bruins, all that star power, the bruins with no centre depth.

Canucks play a much better team game than the oilers.

Get what you're saying.   Oilers did win a cup without Gretzky and Coffey, and then again against us in 94.   So good job on the team sport angle.   Maple Leafs and Bruins would get killed playing back then.    Ruined and crushed into tiny bits.    Sport has change a lot since that era.

The Canucks have a lot of 5v5 matchups that could work 

Miller line or Lindholm line 

Hughes Hronek pair 

I think those sets of players could give EDM and McDavid a really hard time 

it’s going to be about minimizing their PP opportunity 

tbh I don’t know if EDM is truly willing to put work their opponent 

39 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

If the Canucks are allowed to play a physical game they can win this series.  If the refs don't allow the Canucks big defence play a physical game they'll be killed on the PP.  It all comes down to what the refs want.  Tocchet eluded to this, in being allowed to play. 

Your point totally eluded me.  I wasn't sure what you were alluding to.

• Haha 1