[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Perhaps, but it's not as if they'll have nothing. Like I said, Oilers players and staff were almost certainly watching the Nashville series. He also played a few games down the stretch. 

No bones about it, he's no Demko. This isn't to say he can't play well, or that he won't, but I do question how things will go without Demko. 

I don't think the sample size is large enough for adjustments to be effective; the dropoff usually doesn't happen until the next season starts.  So much of the goaltending position is mental and he's proven that he doesn't get rattled in big games.  I'd prefer Demko, but I'm more than comfortable with Silovs and I will be until he gives us a reason not to.

McDavid vs Silovs and a Canucks team that can't score. I can see why most would favour the Oilers in this series. They just dismantled the Kings (Canucks were 1-3 against this season). The Preds put up a strong challenge for the Canucks and if Sissons didn't hit the post in Game 5 things could be much different today.

Canucks will need all players to play at their highest level. I think they can beat the Oilers, but they have to go out and do it. No more taking shifts off Petey, the team needs you to score goals.

• Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I don't think the sample size is large enough for adjustments to be effective; the dropoff usually doesn't happen until the next season starts.  So much of the goaltending position is mental and he's proven that he doesn't get rattled in big games.  I'd prefer Demko, but I'm more than comfortable with Silovs and I will be until he gives us a reason not to.

I guess time will tell 

I'm not expecting him to shit the bed, I'm just skeptical as to whether he can get the job done this series 

If we do get past the Oil hopefully Demko's healthy and back, because I would not be confident with Silovs in net against Dallas or Colorado in a seven game series 

47 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And Barkov.   And Stone/MT at 9.5 right?    This tweet or whatever is kind of a one off.   And silly.   The real thing is who's in the final four that's a low or no state tax team year after year after year after year.   That's a story.   

At least this year one Canadian team is going to make it.    And unless it's us it won't feel so good. 

Stone suffers from spleenitis during the regular season that mysteriously disappears for the post season.  And it's only the Canucks for trying to take advantage of the cap rules.  Tampa says hello as well.

2 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

This interview may surprise some;

He's right. Regular season is absolutely meaningless. It will come down to who executes and plays better hockey.

15 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I get what Linden is trying to say, but I'm not too sure he has the pulse on the Canucks anymore. Everyone, including himself, knows Petey's in a slump.

We do have other game breakers that can snatch the momentum; Quite a few of them.

I fully agree with Linden here and hope Petey somehow hears this and is motivated by it 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

McDavid vs Silovs and a Canucks team that can't score. I can see why most would favour the Oilers in this series. They just dismantled the Kings (Canucks were 1-3 against this season). The Preds put up a strong challenge for the Canucks and if Sissons didn't hit the post in Game 5 things could be much different today.

Canucks will need all players to play at their highest level. I think they can beat the Oilers, but they have to go out and do it. No more taking shifts off Petey, the team needs you to score goals.

The Canucks couldn't score because Nashville was blocking majority of shots on net.

I don't think Edmonton is that stifling on it's defence.

31 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I think from his personal viewpoint, those games in Latvia were much more challenging then playoff  games for Canucks. So, he will be just fine.

• Like 1

And just to add to what I posted above ...

Silovs was THE story for not one but two World championships. He was the story in back-to-back years.

He's no stranger to facing top NHL players.

This below was from 2022, a full year before he won MVP ...

"In Latvia’s final game of the tournament, Silovs got the start over Merzlikins against a Swedish team with some top-end NHL talent and was outstanding, allowing just one goal on 35 shots in a hard-fought 1-0 loss. 

The lone goal that got past Silovs came off the stick of William Nylander on the Swedish power play while he was being screened by Rasmus Asplund. There wasn’t much he could do about that one but every other puck fired at the Latvian net was turned aside by Silovs.

That included Silovs’ best save of the game (off a shot from Rasmus Dahlin), which came just moments before Nylander’s goal."

Arturs Silovs finishes World Championship with .952 save percentage - Vancouver Is Awesome

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The reason for hope and confidence around Silovs is that he's not coming out of nowhere. To those who haven't paid attention, sure, he has, but there's more to it than simply writing him off and giving the Oilers the series.

In 2022, a year prior to his MVP performance, Šilovs (then 21) made his World Championship debut. In four games for Latvia, he went 2-2 with a 1.22 goals-against average and a .952 save percentage. He also outplayed countryman and NHLer Elvis Merzlikins.

in 2023, a year later, Silovs won the MVP and finished the Worlds with a .921 save percentage and was 7-2-0 in nine starts. Silovs played all but five minutes for Latvia after coming into their first game in relief. 

Both Worlds (22 and 23) he wasn't the starter and performed huge under pressure. His numbers were tracking elite. Even the International media were saying his stats could be a glimpse at what may be in store for his future.

He's no Demko, sure, but there's certainly reason to be more confident than usual when it comes to backups. 

Like I said, Silovs hasn't come out of nowhere. This is the best case scenario for us with Demko out. We actually have a potentially budding star who has had two similar experiences at the Worlds as what he's going through now. 

We're lucky and fortunate to have this guy. This is why I'm not concerned about Silovs in net.

I don't mind running with Silvos right now....Demko wasn't "Buble Demko" until his coming out party in the Playoffs (IMO)

Confidence can be a difference maker in a players game...and Silvos is playing with a lot of confidence. 

• Cheers 2

We will beat the Oilers. 

We have a better defensively structured team and Skinner is very unreliable. I have more faith in our 3rd string goalie than Skinner.

We beat the Oilers in all four games for a reason. Enough with them having an excuse for those losses and give credit to our guys. 

Our offence will also pick up versus the Oilers as they aren’t shot blocking masters and play tight like the Preds. 

Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 3

46 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

But what about suter missing all those empty nets

the multiple posts/crossbar the canucks hur

20 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Most pundits share your perspective. However, I think there are a couple of flaws with this reasoning:

1. The Canucks have proven they can score when healthy. Not going to look up their Goals For, but I’d bet they’re in or near the top third of the league. Yes, they didn’t score as much against Nashville because of how Nashville plays the game (i.e forcing dump-one with a strong puck handling goaltender that can regularly cut-off the dump-in, 5 man collapse to the front of the net if possession lost in defensive end, full buy-in to shot blocking, etc). However, the Oilers are not Nashville and do not play the same shot-stifling style. I expect our offensive leaders will have more space and time to create offence in this series.

2. Comparing the Oilers’ record against the Kings to the Canucks’ record against the Kings is meaningless. The Oilers, Canucks and Kings are different teams with their own strengths and weaknesses. With different strengths and weaknesses, different teams match up better against others. In other words, rock beating scissors and scissors beating paper does not mean that rock will beat paper. When looking at historical performance of the Oilers against the Canucks, I think there is reason for optimism. Although the Canucks have not yet seen Knob’s version of the Oilers with McDavid in the lineup, the Oilers’ personnel remains largely unchanged and, so far this season, that personnel has had a lot of difficulty penetrating the middle of the ice in the Canucks’ end. If the Canucks can limit rush chances and power plays against, it will be the Oilers who struggle to score.  

I’m just an amateur watching from my couch though, so what do I know, but here’s hoping that I am right 🍻