[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

And just to add to my other two posts ...

When you look at Silovs' performances back-to-back at the Worlds, twice he took over in relief to great success facing top NHL players.

The same thing has happened to him this playoffs.

Granted he lacks NHL level experience but he has high-level experience nonetheless and experience in very similar, high-pressure situations.

It's no surprise that Silovs had success for us coming in when DeSmnith went down.

• ThereItIs 1
  • Desmenko 1

10 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I don't mind running with Silvos right now....Demko wasn't "Buble Demko" until his coming out party in the Playoffs (IMO)

Confidence can be a difference maker in a players game...and Silvos is playing with a lot of confidence. 

Good point about Bubble Demko. That's how it happens.

The good thing is that Silovs actually has experience coming into similar high-pressure situations and succeeding.

15 minutes ago, Pears said:

Now THAT'S a powerplay unit. Imagine those guys together in their prime?

Imagine them running the power play once or twice a game right now.   Joking ... kind of. 

30 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Am i being delusional when I say there are about 4 or 5 other teams in the playoffs whose roster concerns me more than this one in terms of depth and balance.  I know they have the one guy that can carry a team by himself...but come on...they are a good team...but they are beatable!!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

We will beat the Oilers. 

We have a better defensively structured team and Skinner is very unreliable. I have more faith in our 3rd string goalie than Skinner.

We beat the Oilers in all four games for a reason. Enough with them having an excuse for those losses and give credit to our guys. 

Our offence will also pick up versus the Oilers as they aren’t shot blocking masters and play tight like the Preds. 

Go Canucks Go!

I’d like us to get into skinners head and make goaltending issues destabilize them 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

Am i being delusional when I say there are about 4 or 5 other teams in the playoffs whose roster concerns me more than this one in terms of depth and balance.  I know they have the one guy that can carry a team by himself...but come on...they are a good team...but they are beatable!!

Two players on that team are good 

that’s it 

34 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

We'll find out when Tocchet takes the podium in a while..

Good thing the game was moved to Wednesday instead of today. If Petey’s still sick on Wednesday, he needs to rub his snot and cough all in McDavid’s fat face.

Pass It On Falling In Love GIF by Barbara Pozzi

3 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Two players on that team are good 

that’s it 

Im assuming you referring to McLotto and Drai...

Im trying to rationalize how Hyman fits into all this. A player that was like a 20ish goal scorer until his thirties.  Am I supposed to believe that at 30 yrs old he found a magic touch and that being paired up with a guy that is being put into the same conversation as a Gretzky/ Lemieux in terms of generating offence had nothing to do with it?  I dont think hes a Chris Kontos  (see his numbers when paired with gretzky in the playoffs) as he does have skill and size, but im thinking McDavid inflates his numbers significantly and his playing style fits in well with how McDavid operates.

2 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Hey I'm concerned! I do think Silovs has been a great story, and he's looked very steady, but he also hasn't been facing shots from McDavid, Draisaitl, Hymen, and Bouchard who are on another level compared to the offensive talent of the Predators. I worry that he could get blasted early and unravel. But hopefully that's just my old Canucks PTSD talking from so many years of disappointment! He's got a strong defensive team in front of him and I'm hopeful that it will be enough to keep the Oilers at bay.

Without sounding cocky, what's the point of worrying about things we can't change?

If Silovs and DeSmith both lays an egg, it'll be game over, but there is not a thing in the world, we can do about it...

Its a no brainer that Demko would make us all feel better, as playing without Denko for us, is like taking out Draisaitl for the Oilers...

But maybe, just maybe they all rise to the occasion, and maybe they actually show, they are better at containing McD, than folks seem to fear...

In the end, it is, what it is.... Lets just hope, Silovs steps out of DeSmiths and Demkos shadow, and play like a superstar.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, Darius said:

they are literally a lottery team without mcdavid. the guy can win the series on his own, but if he doesn't, they have nothing. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

they are literally a lottery team without mcdavid. the guy can win the series on his own, but if he doesn't, they have nothing. 

I dont think you are far off.  I think they probably are a bubble team without him.  What was most revealing to me was that last game they played against the Canucks with no Demko where the division was on the line - so they were certainly motivated.  They also had to be motivated by how the Canucks handled them earlier in the year. They also had home ice in that game. So they cant use the excuse that they were not trying or did not care.   No McDavid in the lineup and to me they looked like a toothless tiger  - Calgary looked like they mustered more of a threat against the Canucks in the previous games.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Darius said:

Im assuming you referring to McLotto and Drai...

Im trying to rationalize how Hyman fits into all this. A player that was like a 20ish goal scorer until his thirties.  Am I supposed to believe that at 30 yrs old he found a magic touch and that being paired up with a guy that is being put into the same conversation as a Gretzky/ Lemieux in terms of generating offence had nothing to do with it?  I dont think hes a Chris Kontos  (see his numbers when paired with gretzky in the playoffs) as he does have skill and size, but im thinking McDavid inflates his numbers significantly and his playing style fits in well with how McDavid operates.

I've been saying he's nothing but a fancier version of what Anson Carter was when he was playing with the Sedins. 

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Without sounding cocky, what's the point of worrying about things we can't change?

If Silovs and DeSmith both lays an egg, it'll be game over, but there is not a thing in the world, we can do about it...

Its a no brainer that Demko would make us all feel better, as playing without Denko for us, is like taking out Draisaitl for the Oilers...

But maybe, just maybe they all rise to the occasion, and maybe they actually show, they are better at containing McD, than folks seem to fear...

In the end, it is, what it is.... Lets just hope, Silovs steps out of DeSmiths and Demkos shadow, and play like a superstar.

I'm human, I worry about things. Not very much, mind you. As I get older I've learned to live in the moment as much as I can but when I do think about this matchup, the goaltending comes to mind as something that both sides could exploit. I'd love nothing more than to see Silovs go on a fairy-tale run in these playoffs!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

I've been saying he's nothing but a fancier version of what Anson Carter was when he was playing with the Sedins. 

Good point!  i was trying to think of other examples from the past...Carter fits well...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeteyBOI said:

this sounds like an argument from a person that is backtracking cause they put there foot in their mouth... LOL

i mean, this was your argument word for word, i think this is safe to say that the stats you provided do not reflect this:

"we are one of the slowest teams in the league... only garland and miller can attack with any resemblance of speed"

50 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

I’d like us to get into skinners head and make goaltending issues destabilize them 

Not that hard to do.  He's proven that he's not a legit NHL quality goalie.  The Canucks have a huge advantage in net whether it's Demko, Silovs, DeSmith, or the EBUG in net for us.

54 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Good thing the game was moved to Wednesday instead of today. If Petey’s still sick on Wednesday, he needs to rub his snot and cough all in McDavid’s fat face.

Pass It On Falling In Love GIF by Barbara Pozzi

this is key. id like to see him show up to the stadium EARLY (showing up early is what WINNERS do) and with meticulous attention to DETAIL rub his snot all over every nook and cranny of the visitors locker room. I understand Petey is not feeling well, but thats simply not an excuse. Its all hands on deck. If he cant drive himself to Rogers Arena early in the morning, he needs to solution-seek and take an uber or even public transit. Some gross snot distribution could be the key to winning the series. 

• Vintage 1