[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

2 minutes ago, Psycho_Path said:

I like your optimism that it'll be an evenly reffed series. Ain't gonna happen, but I like your optimism

I’d agree. NHL loves its McDavid, and they don’t like a far-western Canadian team that plays when most of the North American audience is asleep.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I’d agree. NHL loves its McDavid, and they don’t like a far-western Canadian team that plays when most of the North American audience is asleep.

Both Hughs and Boeser are still very, very, popular in Michigan and Minnesota where they were god's on there Collage teams.  Add USA born players like Miller, Garland, Joshua, Demko, DeSmith, Lafferty, Cole, Myers, the NHL can really get behind Team USA (aka Canucks).

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

despite what the fan base and local media says, the mcbabies can't put out the same level of defensive effort that Nashville did. 

That is it right there. Nashville is a bugger of a team to play against, so structured, albeit boring, but disciplined and skilled too....any team would have had it tough against them...it was a great team building series for our guys, and well earned in moving on, and IMHO it will serve them very well against the Oil....they won't know how to contend with our big D...and outside of the obvious ones, guys like Lindy, DJ, Zadz, Blueger, Suter, are going to be difference makers.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Sophomore Jinx said:

That is it right there. Nashville is a bugger of a team to play against, so structured, albeit boring, but disciplined and skilled too....any team would have had it tough against them...it was a great team building series for our guys, and well earned in moving on, and IMHO it will serve them very well against the Oil....they won't know how to contend with our big D...and outside of the obvious ones, guys like Lindy, DJ, Zadz, Blueger, Suter, are going to be difference makers.

edmonton is also way easier to bait into taking dumb penalties

if big z lays a few hits you better believe kane and nurse are gonna come and try to play stupid games and get take penalties

6 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Yep. No one thinks that this will be easy, but i like our chances, and that the media is against us. It'll help inspire the guys.

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

Long as we hit mcbaby and Leon lots it will get them iff their game which will allow us to take charge.

They seem to not play us well,so we should win.

I'd put Mikheyev (to try) and cover McDavid. He can actually match his speed, and has proven that as a Leaf a few years ago catching him on a potential breakaway and stealing the puck from him. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Alf hates Perry and Kane already. Alf hates all the Coilers, their fans, and their city. No need for any playoff series to hate those smelly buggars. 

Hate is a powerful emotion Alf

You don't hate them enough just yet - that will change over the next two weeks

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Still trying to figure this out. Who decides? Why Can't Shorthouse at least at least do the Canuck games at home.  I've listened to both and Shorthouse is not bias

but we are not talking about the color guys. Shorthouse is the very best play by play announcer in the league. Get this; There have been times when the Canucks

didn't make the show (many times),and Shorthouse was asked to play by play somewhere else. 

I've already used my Twitter account and many people don't understand.               Damn!                                        

GMwRtYDXQAA2bbi?format=jpg&name=small

the contracts that shorthouse and singh each respectively signed decide. 

singh is higher in the pecking order because he has a different role. 

3 minutes ago, tas said:

And whoever made that decision needs to be fired for allowing Singh to consistently disgrace the country with his misconduct.  There's got to be some kind of clause outlining an expectation that Singh is required to act like a professional.

13 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

I thought Nashville played as good a D possible and great on the Canucks to come through.  Look at the replay of the last goal - see how structured Nashville was with the player switching - took a Petey side step -  poke at the puck to move it to Boeser -  a no look pass + one timer just a few inches to the left of the post to score the clincher - if Suter hits a few inches to the center,  Saros makes the save.   Given the Preds record the last 2 months, I think they may have the pushed the Oilers to 6-7 with that suffocating system.

Canucks will be slight underdogs in this series  - I don't think they mind as they were quite pressured to beat the Predators even though that was a very good team.  Sometimes, media looks at total regular season points a bit too much and not enough at who is also playing well heading into the post season (Panthers vs Bruins last year).

Obviously the Canucks will try to tighten it up and not play a free flowing a contest given the Oilers vast scoring - Canucks should also try to maintain their energy level over 3 periods - seen many times opponents put relentless pressure on the Oilers in first two periods then tire a bit  - just to have the Oilers use their speed and blow them out in the third.  Hope to see continued improvement from Petey in this series. 

justwin.jpg

ALL of the pressure is on Edmonton. We are heavy underdogs. All of the media outside of Vancouver are literally laughing at this matchup. Ultimately I think they’ll beat us in 5-6 but that’s just because I’m a wet blanket. 

However

some of the biggest juggernauts have fallen to tight checking teams with hot goaltending. By juggernauts I’m talking historically good teams. 

We defend the rush well, we collapse in front of the net. We have an imposing D, we hit a lot, we have Silovs who looks like the annual goaltending story of the playoffs. The biggest thing we have is Zero expectations. It feels like the team put pressure on themselves after the all-star break. That pressure is now gone IMO. 

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

ALL of the pressure is on Edmonton. We are heavy underdogs. All of the media outside of Vancouver are literally laughing at this matchup. Ultimately I think they’ll beat us in 5-6 but that’s just because I’m a wet blanket. 

However

some of the biggest juggernauts have fallen to tight checking teams with hot goaltending. By juggernauts I’m talking historically good teams. 

We defend the rush well, we collapse in front of the net. We have an imposing D, we hit a lot, we have Silovs who looks like the annual goaltending story of the playoffs. The biggest thing we have is Zero expectations. It feels like the team put pressure on themselves after the all-star break. That pressure is now gone IMO. 

You also can't really predict squat.

Silovs with the series clinching shut out. Even god didn't see that coming.

10 minutes ago, tas said:

I think if you do a pole, you'll find Shorthouse is rated the best in the busyness. There is only one else close. What is this pecking order?  If you mean he

sometimes he's on HNIC? Whatever, I think he's a crappy play by play announcer; Where's the contract?

21 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Need to exploit Edm suspect defense and pressure the goalie who's playing well.  Won't beat Edm by setting NHL record for least amount of shots in 2 rounds.  Stay out of box and commit to their system that got'em here.

Amen

19 hours ago, 24K said:

Which is gonna break first.

Our system defense and especially our pk or Jeff Skinner. 

I think Jeff Skinner is golfing these days...

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

You also can't really predict squat.

Silovs with the series clinching shut out. Even god didn't see that coming.

When did you become so confrontational? Did you read the last part of my post? 

5 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I think if you do a pole, you'll find Shorthouse is rated the best in the busyness. There is only one else close. What is this pecking order?  If you mean he

sometimes he's on HNIC? Whatever, I think he's a crappy play by play announcer; Where's the contract?

I think if you do a pole, you're a dirty whore. Unless it's a Pole, in which case you're probably just European...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

If you were the public representative of what it means to be a Canucks fan, I would be embarrassed.  Your greatest opponent is the officials, not the other team.  When we win or score, you think it's a victory against the officials.  When we lose, it's DEFINITELY the officials' fault.  I don't even know how you can even enjoy watching hockey when you think the entire sport is one great big referee conspiracy against Vancouver.  

You would be a shining example of what it means to be a toxic fan.  You're gonna call an Oiler a dirty cheat or diver at least 10 times a game.  You're gonna call out the officials for every single call/non-call on the Canucks, no matter how fair it is.  And if things get rough, you're gonna suggest our guys start headhunting McDrai.

Over half of your GDT/PGT posts are about officiating.  Enough.

Toxic ^

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 3

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

They have but everything is a tradeoff. They can't play as physical as NSH either, which should give Petey more space. They will target Hughes as much as possible tho.

I agree, it'll be easier on both Petey and Hughes, physically. 

• Like 1