[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

23 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

thank god with the leafs losing, we get cuthbert calling our games and not singh-- but then we have to hear craig simpson. we really are in hell

At least Simpson talks less than Singh.

On 5/3/2024 at 8:15 PM, Mando27 said:

My blind homerism says Canucks in 5, but we are missing our starting goalie.

I don’t think that’s our biggest challenge, all our goaltenders are awesome. It’s needing more goals by us, staying out of the penalty box (Oilers are 25% on PP) and getting our own PP working. We can’t run and gun and expect to out score McJesus.

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Of course we don't know anything however this is a discussion board.

This thread started so we could talk, and prognosticate about the upcoming series.

As for best player in the world, McDavid is.

However this is a team sport and one player, does not make team.

In saying that, Sid basically put his team on his back this year, at 36 years old, and nearly dragged them into the playoffs. 

A champion team will beat a team of champions. 

Are the oilers a champion team  ?

No, they have not won a championship.

Are we a champion team ?

No we have not won a championship. 

I hope this is going to be a hard fought series.

I hope that we have a better overall team game than they do in this series. 

One way or another this is great a experience for our playing group.

Every game they play this offseason bodes well for the future.

I know you're referencing this particular group, but they are a championship org and actually have one of them behind the bench 

edmonton-oilers-5-time-stanley-cup-champions-16-x-22-repositionable-shield-decal_pi4439000_altimages_ff_4439975-6796f8150efe70ae046falt1_full.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

At least Simpson talks less than Singh.

Well Simpsons job is to talk during whistles or lulls, so the play by play can give his voice a rest. But in my opinion Simpson is the worst of the bunch. Guaranteed he is bawling with another Leafs disappointment. Dude won a cup in Edmonton, but is the biggest and most biased leafs fan ever. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vancan said:

Well Simpsons job is to talk during whistles or lulls, so the play by play can give his voice a rest. But in my opinion Simpson is the worst of the bunch. Guaranteed he is bawling with another Leafs disappointment. Dude won a cup in Edmonton, but is the biggest and most biased leafs fan ever. 

On the other hand, he is Oilers alumni

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The only reason I know it was from the movie Iron Man. Lol.

Lol. The only reason I knew is because my 32 yr old daughter had a page pre Facebook. We’re both old, but full of knowledge,  right?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I know you're referencing this particular group, but they are a championship org and actually have one of them behind the bench 

edmonton-oilers-5-time-stanley-cup-champions-16-x-22-repositionable-shield-decal_pi4439000_altimages_ff_4439975-6796f8150efe70ae046falt1_full.jpg

Those were great teams in the days. Really impressive was the 1990 without gretz. However those teams had more than mediocre goal tending and defense. With all due respect, that is not the case now.

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

34 years ago. Nothing more than the Canucks since their 80s glory days. The Leafs and Canadiens are Championship teams as well. Relevance matters.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Vancan said:

Those were great teams in the days. Really impressive was the 1990 without gretz. However those teams had more than mediocre goal tending and defense. With all due respect, that is not the case now.

I know that's what they were referencing, but they are a championship team.  And, they do have a member of that championship team on the bench with them 

Just now, stawns said:

I know that's what they were referencing, but they are a championship team.  And, they do have a member of that championship team on the bench with them 

Well we did as well in from 1997-2000.

🤢

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hey I come from the days of dial up BBS's. 14.4 baud modems.

My first cell phone was as big as your forearm. My first dialup was on a ‘party line’ lol

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I suppose you can say they are a championship team, but is there a statute of limitations for that? I mean they still have a "welcome to Edmonton city of champions" sign when you hit the city limits. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, stawns said:

On the Canucks bench, 3 championship team members - Tocchet, Gonchar, Foote.  All more recent. Your point?

Edited by Captkirk888
Duh
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Are you really relating  today’s team with what happened 34 years ago and before that. If they had that championship pedigree the whole time they would not have made a mockery of the draft lotto system not so long ago.  Their bench champion is probably less relevant than  our bench champions. 

come on man I think sometimes you come  in here because you enjoy stirring the pot. Lol

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Darius said:

Are you really relating  today’s team with what happened 34 years ago and before that. If they had that championship pedigree the whole time they would not have made a mockery of the draft lotto system not so long ago.  Their bench champion is probably less relevant than  our bench champions. 

come on man I think sometimes you come  in here because you enjoy stirring the pot. Lol

See my post directly above yours…

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Captkirk888 said:

Of course, but @stawns point was coaching.

I know was just adding salt to the wound that we have 5 champions on the team and them 2. That includes Corey Farry who hasn't even been there a full season.

1 minute ago, Vancan said:

I know was just adding salt to the wound that we have 5 champions on the team and them 2. That includes Corey Farry who hasn't even been there a full season.

Again, of course. But some people have their agendas and reasoning (or lack there of).

19 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

On the Canucks bench, 3 championship team members - Tocchet, Gonchar, Foote.  All more recent. Your point?

I meant an Oilers Champion

15 minutes ago, Darius said:

Do you miss the part where I said I get they were referencing this version of the oilers?