[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

2 hours ago, Integra250 said:

Am I one of the few not worried about the Oilers at all? Yeah they have arguably the two best scorers in the world but aside from those two, they’re an average team. You neutralize one of those two and players like Hyman and RNH can’t generate anything on their own. I fully trust all our centres to contain one or both of them. 

Canucks in 6.

McDavid plays behind the net.  He is going to force defenders and not the centre to cover that area.  Guys like Hyman and Draisaitl will just wait for an open play while McDavid cooks.

I don't think neutralizing Connor McDavid is going to be easy.

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

McDavid plays behind the net.  He is going to force defenders and not the centre to cover that area.  Guys like Hyman and Draisaitl will just wait for an open play while McDavid cooks.

When you look at all of Hyman's PP goals, everyone focuses on McDavid and leave him open in the crease. I'd like to think our D will box out the scorer a bit better than LA did. The answer is probably to have a forward like Miller or Lindholm try to cover McDavid and get our big strong D to tie up Hyman or Draisaitl.

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

When you look at all of Hyman's PP goals, everyone focuses on McDavid and leave him open in the crease. I'd like to think our D will box out the scorer a bit better than LA did. The answer is probably to have a forward like Miller or Lindholm try to cover McDavid and get our big strong D to tie up Hyman or Draisaitl.

We don't play man defence - you rarely see that in today's game.  There are too many criss-cross and scissor plays in the zone for that to work.  Think about how we move the puck offensively.  All it takes is one switch by Hughes to expose a man defence.  That’s why everyone plays zone.  We play zone.  So the defenders must cover behind the net.

11 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Yep. No one thinks that this will be easy, but i like our chances, and that the media is against us. It'll help inspire the guys.

Yeah I actually think this will be an advantage to us... We will not have the pressure of expectation on our shoulders... the first 2 games in Vancouver are going to be extremely vital... If Canucks taks them both, I see Oilers crumble under the pressure, but..... I fear for the reffing... If the refs start to call soft penalties like minor hookings, borderline interference and hits, then I do fear for our chances... Our PP has been almost non existent, and that is bad news, if it becomes special teams battle...

• ThereItIs 1

Two thoughts.  

1.  Really feel we can take the Oilers.  

2.  Whatever happens now I view this season as a success.  Winning a round AND winning that round without Demko.  

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Darius said:

Speaking of fan dynamics, Canucks have found a new cheer squad over at Calgary Puck.  The last place I would have thought I would have seen pro Canuck sentiment.  Their hate of the Oilers is deeper of course but after years of trashing the Canucks the vast majority are on the bandwagon...

You can read gems like this:

Franchise Player

Exp: pip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gif

This is not a difficult choice. This current iteration of the Oilers are arguably the most reprehensible collection of losers and scumbags ever assembled on an NHL team. Not even the 2011 Canucks were as unlikable as these clowns. My wish for this series is that the Oilers lose in such humiliation fashion that McLotteryball and Pissy both leave this summer for greener pastures, and that dinks like Ron MacLean finally retire as a result.

If it takes cheering for one of the Flames’ biggest rivals to help make this happen, then so be it. The Oilers should never win anything, EVER. Hands down the most embarrassing, undeserving franchise in pro sports. F*** them forever.

E = No good!

Commie Referee

Exp: pip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gifpip.gif

Go Canucks and it's not even close.

At least the Canucks have some players we all like.

Who cheers for Perry and Kane and Draisatl and McDavid? Gross.

Never thought I'd see the day...:classic_laugh:

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

22/23 espners pick oilers over us.

I love it. Underdogs. Coming from the depths.

Maybe pettey had a secret plan to catch fire in round 2 so he outscores mcdavid with everyone looking on. 

They’ve been doubting us at every point this year.  If we keep winning, these ‘experts’ will keep eating crow.  I find experts in the NHL detestable.  They act like they know so much, yet show how little they understand.  ‘Expect Pettersson to match up with Draisaitl’, yah in no way is Tocchet gonna let that happen in the first two games.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I'd add Potvin and Robinson to that list.

As great as Coffey was I always remember Orr as the best. Time is never a friend as those of us who saw him play pass away. As a diehard Habs fan I automatically hated any Bruins player. In '66-67 Orr broke in with the Bruins and even as a rookie you could see he was more than special. Most fans don't remember the play back then. It was often brutally physical. To say the game today is largely tame and pansiest is being polite. In that environment Orr garnered;

2 - Conn Smythes

2 - Cups

3 - Harts

2 - Art Ross (his Cup wins)

1 - Canada Cup

6 - + 100 point seasons

8 - Norris

The last two points require some reflection. In essence Orr only played 9 years in The NHL, 1966-67 to 1974-75. His knee finished him in Boston in 75-76 and he played a handful of games with the Hawks. During those 9 seasons he won the Norris 8 times. During those 9 years he scored + 100 points 6 times. When Orr had to retire I hated Harry Sinden for playing him when possibly he should not have. Since then I have moderated somewhat as apparently Orr demanded to play and who ever said no to Bobby Orr. 

Any thought that Orr was not the best defenseman that ever played is foolish. In my own mind I still question whether or not he was the best hockey player ever. Gretzky was the only comparable but he had longevity, a different hockey environment and was a forward. I argue that being a defenseman was a tougher position and more susceptible to injury.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Yeah I actually think this will be an advantage to us... We will not have the pressure of expectation on our shoulders... the first 2 games in Vancouver are going to be extremely vital... If Canucks taks them both, I see Oilers crumble under the pressure, but..... I fear for the reffing... If the refs start to call soft penalties like minor hookings, borderline interference and hits, then I do fear for our chances... Our PP has been almost non existent, and that is bad news, if it becomes special teams battle...

Watching EDM coach, it's clear he thinks this will be a special teams battle.... Our guys are really dialed in so while I don't think they can stop them all I don't think EDM goes 45% against us either 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

The Canuck advantage going into this round will have to be team defense with a heightened physicality. I give the Oilers the offensive side of the game and think that goaltending is likely a draw. That said I didn't think Skinner was tested that badly by LA. LA had to chase the game most nights which advantaged the Oiler offense. 

If the Canuck defense can keep the Oiler forwards to the outside and Silovs can see the shots then Canucks can be competitive. Layer onto that a heavy physical game that could cause the Oilers to lose focus. Zad, Meyers, Soucy and Cole are all big men. They will be the keys to this round. What happens if/when McDavid or Draisaitl take a hit comparable to what Josi got or Forsberg? Many fans take to much comfort in the goals generated by the Oilers against LA, maybe even the Oiler players themselves. Canucks play them hard and win the first game in Vancouver and the Oilers will start wondering.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

27 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Were you in prison?

No...I work for a living and am busy. Ain't got time to watch every fucking hockey game. 

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

IMG_5831.thumb.jpeg.5cb24ace57a1be2da8b16fd585968a17.jpeg

What am I missing? How does the Avs game have any bearing on our schedule? Are they dead against two games on the same night in round 2? If that’s the case, shouldn’t the team with the conflict wait? It’s super annoying as I’m trying to book a trip to game 3 but can’t as there’s no schedule!

4 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Of course it won't. Mcd will def shake loose a few times. But I think being out every shift with either Miller Joshua Lindy up his ass will break him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The Canuck advantage going into this round will have to be team defense with a heightened physicality. I give the Oilers the offensive side of the game and think that goaltending is likely a draw. That said I didn't think Skinner was tested that badly by LA. LA had to chase the game most nights which advantaged the Oiler offense. 

If the Canuck defense can keep the Oiler forwards to the outside and Silovs can see the shots then Canucks can be competitive. Layer onto that a heavy physical game that could cause the Oilers to lose focus. Zad, Meyers, Soucy and Cole are all big men. They will be the keys to this round. What happens if/when McDavid or Draisaitl take a hit comparable to what Josi got or Forsberg? Many fans take to much comfort in the goals generated by the Oilers against LA, maybe even the Oiler players themselves. Canucks play them hard and win the first game in Vancouver and the Oilers will start wondering.  

The issue with this is, will the refs let us be as physical as the Nashville series?

I doubt it. I can see Myers heading to the box for the exact plays he made in game 1 of round 1.

What we can still do is be a suffocating, hard forechecking team.

Edited by Bob Long

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The issue with this is, will the refs let us be as physical as the Nashville series?

I doubt it. I can see Myers heading to the box for the exact plays he made in game 1 of round 1.

What we can still do is be a suffocating, hard checking team.

Ya, hard hits always run the risk of penalty, even misconducts. No fan should have the illusion that the NHL does not want their top talent on the sidelines due to injury. That said the physical side of the game is a big fan favorite. Cup play often has the refs letting stuff go. I hope so. 

Just now, Boudrias said:

Ya, hard hits always run the risk of penalty, even misconducts. No fan should have the illusion that the NHL does not want their top talent on the sidelines due to injury. That said the physical side of the game is a big fan favorite. Cup play often has the refs letting stuff go. I hope so. 

I hope so too, just let them play.

I didn't watch any of the la-EDM series, how were the calls LA took? Was it for stick stuff mostly or?

5 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Yeah both wingers will have to cheat down a little bit which leaves the point open a bit but at least you keep them to the perimeter. They also don't have a Makar, Josi, Hughes on the blue line so that mitigates some of the risk from the blue line.

35 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

No...I work for a living and am busy. Ain't got time to watch every fucking hockey game. 

Plus, the guys in prison get to watch hockey games.... they do have time on their hands.

I know these things...

• ThereItIs 1