[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

39 minutes ago, T_Linden said:

What am I missing? How does the Avs game have any bearing on our schedule? Are they dead against two games on the same night in round 2? If that’s the case, shouldn’t the team with the conflict wait? It’s super annoying as I’m trying to book a trip to game 3 but can’t as there’s no schedule!

I would suggest it may be about TV revenue and wanting every dime. Gary has to have his cake and eat it too, as they say.

30 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The issue with this is, will the refs let us be as physical as the Nashville series?

I doubt it. I can see Myers heading to the box for the exact plays he made in game 1 of round 1.

What we can still do is be a suffocating, hard forechecking team.

"Keep it clean, keep it clean, keep it clean" from the Kinks, The New Centurions.

[Memo to The Rat: Spell centurion for us "Champian" lol!) 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Be honest we hate them all...

There is legit one team I cheer for at all outside of Vancouver and that is the Canes. The rest can fuck off. 

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)

Screenshot_20240505-231354.png

Wed would be good for Nux. 

More time for guys to heal, Demko to potentially return later in the series. 

Edited by Jaimito

Just now, Gnarcore said:

There is legit one team I cheer for at all outside of Vancouver and that is the Canes. The rest can fuck off. 

I don't care for anyone outside Canucks... If Canucks are out, I may take a liking to any team playing one of these Rangers, Bruins, Blackhawks, Toronto, any Alberta team, Kings, Sharks, Wild and Vegas....

But in general F em all... Go Canucks Go.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

Lets gooo. Hopefully the canucks knock the oilers down a peg. Living in ab all I hear about it how easy this will be for the oilers. Already talking about who they will face in the next round.

2 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

22/23 espners pick oilers over us.

I love it. Underdogs. Coming from the depths.

Maybe pettey had a secret plan to catch fire in round 2 so he outscores mcdavid with everyone looking on. 

Many also picked Predators. 

Totally fine with being the underdog.

All the pressure is on oils.  Cup or bust season for them.  It's going to be a busy for them. Hope Nux ends their playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

If they win they get smoked salmon. If we win they layoff the cousin fuckin for a week. Big stakes! 

This is gold! Alf spit up his morning scotch. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Cmon Stawns are you turning into an Oilers Cheerleader now?

They sucked ass for so long and then got gifted McD... f all to do with being a champions team in over 30 years...

Again, you clearly missed the part where I said I knew he was referencing this version.

Why are people so insecure that they can't acknowledge that other teams can be good?  So the Oilers are a great team, that doesn't take anything away from the canucks

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Cmon Stawns are you turning into an Oilers Cheerleader now?

They sucked ass for so long and then got gifted McD... f all to do with being a champions team in over 30 years...

Isn’t this the poster who claimed the Canucks were an 88 point club? 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Again, you clearly missed the part where I said I knew he was referencing this version.

Why are people so insecure that they can't acknowledge that other teams can be good?  So the Oilers are a great team, that doesn't take anything away from the canucks

How many points did we end up with? We are a great team and better than the smelly Coilers and their Baby Whiner Captain. 
McWhiner is Dionne. Same level of player. Puts up a lot of points but will never touch the Cup. 

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)

We are a great matchup for the Coil and happy to see other series going 7 games and potentially wearing down a little more what might be our next challenger.

We know how to play the Coil. This season’s D corps is an ideal wall against their F provided they don’t chase. Having Juulsen as our 7th is a solid plus. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think the oilers are a great team. i think they're the same group of losers that started the year 2-9-1 and I think they'll fold their tent when adversity comes back. and I think they have a coach who knows he doesn't belong in the NHL. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't think the oilers are a great team. i think they're the same group of losers that started the year 2-9-1 and I think they'll fold their tent when adversity comes back. and I think they have a coach who knows he doesn't belong in the NHL. 

They've been a top 3-5 team since the coaching change and completely dismantled one of the best defensive teams in the league in 5 games.  I think it's fair to say they're a great team..........what's the point if pretending theyre not?

I do think the Canucks will find them easier to play against than the Preds in some ways.

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

22/23 espners pick oilers over us.

I love it. Underdogs. Coming from the depths.

Maybe pettey had a secret plan to catch fire in round 2 so he outscores mcdavid with everyone looking on. 

I really don't get why the Oilers are being so heavily favoured...

Yes, our regular season dominance over them doesn't imply the same result in the playoffs. But it's not that we beat them, it's how we've matched up against them that matters. VAN employs a positionally sound, defensive structure has really seemed to slow down and frustrate them, even with McDavid in the lineup. It's this stylistic matchup, combined with VAN's personnel depth on both forward & defense, that has the potential to continue to frustrate EDM.

Yes, the wins with McDavid in the lineup came before their coaching change, after which they made some significant improvements, e.g. becoming more defensibly responsible. However, it's not clear to me how these changes negate the fundamental stylistic matchup. So much of EDM's 5-on-5 offense (and their ability to draw penalties to utilize their pp) continues to come from their ability to use their speed to generate o zone chances, which VAN was largely successful in limiting this season. And it's not clear that anything has changed on this front. The stylistic & personnel matchup producing this result still seems to be there. One could even argue that it's even an worse matchup now for the EDM, with the addition of Lindholm, which gives VAN yet another option for shadowing McDavid (which could prove particularly valuable when EDM has last change at home).

Yes, EDM looked good against LA. But LA uses a 1-3-1 system that's designed to clog up the neutral zone. EDM matches up well against that system, as they were able to crack it using their speed through the neutral. However, VAN uses a completely different 1-2-2 system that utilizes positionally sound defensive structure & solid stick work, that's designed to limit offensive free-wheeling into the o zone, often leading to dump ins, which plays to the strengths of VAN's d core to quickly retrieve pucks & exit their zone. (NASH was able to counter that somewhat with aggressive forechecking, often sending 3 guys at the puck, but that's not EDM's system.)

Yes, McDavid is an elite, game changing talent, and EDM's top players were firing on on all cylinders.. against LA. Maybe they'll be able to continue that against VAN, maybe not. Let's see how things play out once the puck drops. In the meantime, I'm just not seeing any good reason being given for thinking that the key factors responsible for VAN's regular season dominance over EDM--the stylistic and personal matchup--couldn't continue to pose issues for EDM in the playoffs...

Edited by syntheticity
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Don't think they are insecure, and nobody doubt McD and Dry are fantastic players, but lets see how our boys fare against them, before we put the flag on half mast... 

This could be the McD/Dry show and good night Vienna, but could just as well become the Miller, Hughes and Petey show and bye bye Oilers... 

One thing that has happened under Tocchet is, the team has learnt to play defensive hockey... Huge difference from a year and a half ago.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, syntheticity said:

I really don't get the overwhelming 

I really don't get why the Oilers are being so heavily favoured...

Yes, our regular season dominance over them doesn't imply the same result in the playoffs. But it's not that we beat them, it's how we've matched up against them that matters. VAN employs a positionally sound, defensive structure has really seemed to slow down and frustrate them, even with McDavid in the lineup. It's this stylistic matchup, combined with our personnel depth on both forward & defense, that has the potential to continue to frustrate the Oilers.

Yes, the wins with McDavid in the lineup came before their coaching change, after which they made some significant improvements, e.g. becoming more defensibly responsible. However, it's not clear to me how these changes negate the fundamental stylistic matchup. So much of EDM's 5-on-5 offense (and their ability to draw penalties to utilize their pp) continues to come from their ability to use their speed to generate o zone chances, which VAN was largely successful in limiting this season. And it's not clear that anything has changed on this front. The stylistic & personnel matchup producing this result still seems to be there. One could even argue that it's even an worse matchup now for the EDM, with the addition of Lindholm, which gives us yet another option for shadowing McDavid (which could prove particularly valuable when EDM has last change at home).

Yes, they looked good against LA. But LA uses a 1-3-1 system that's designed to clog up the neutral zone. The Oilers match up well against that system, as they were able to crack it using their speed through the neutral. However, VAN uses a completely different 1-2-2 system that utilizes positionally sound defensive structure & solid stick work, that's designed to limit offensive free-wheeling into the o zone, often leading to dump ins, which plays to the strengths of VAN's d core to quickly retrieve pucks & exit their zone. (NASH was able to counter that somewhat with aggressive forechecking, often sending 3 guys at the puck, but that's not Edm's system.)

Yes, McDavid is an elite, game changing talent, and the Oilers top players were firing on on all cylinders.. against LA. Maybe they'll be able to continue that against VAN, maybe not. Let's see how things play out once the puck drops. In the meantime, I'm just not seeing any good reason being given for thinking that the key factors responsible for VAN's regular season dominance over EDM--the stylistic and personal matchup--couldn't continue to pose issues for EDM in the playoffs...

LA only uses that at certain points, the Canucks do it too (as do almost all NHL teams). Other than than that, they're a 1-2-2 team.

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Don't think they are insecure, and nobody doubt McD and Dry are fantastic players, but lets see how our boys fare against them, before we put the flag on half mast... 

This could be the McD/Dry show and good night Vienna, but could just as well become the Miller, Hughes and Petey show and bye bye Oilers... 

One thing that has happened under Tocchet is, the team has learnt to play defensive hockey... Huge difference from a year and a half ago.

Saying they're a great team didn't even have anything to do with Van or the series.  It's just saying they're a great team.

If you manage to neutralize McD and Drai, you're definitely in a good spot, but the oilers are far from a two trick pony.  They've got a pretty solid lineup from top to bottom