[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I hope the meeting also discussed that cross-checking penalties should apply to both teams and not just the Canucks.

Without warning or additional penalties for embellishment why would players not attempt to try gaining an advantage on pp opportunities.  I still remember the SJ Vegas key turning point from few years back so refs need to get it right - I don't envy the refs as they have to make split second decisions while we have the comfort at home with watching replays - maybe as someone said, call the 2 minute unsportsmanlike call (plus tack on  additional 10m misconduct) - hopefully that will clear some of these embellishment attempts.  I am sure they review all cases at the end of the game - should they feel someone has embellished, they will note it and will not get any benefit moving forward for the rest of the series (or if they attempt it a second time then tack on additional misconducts). I like misconducts because it does not penalize the team but instead the player doing the embellishment.

justwin.jpg

Edited by hockeyfan-observer

13 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

It’s about time we've had a rivalry again, last decade has been pretty boring.

The downfall of sucking.

Big end of season games with Arizona, Anaheim, Chicago, CLB, Ottawa, etc., for last place honors.

• Cheers 1

i know im gonna catch heat for this post and i dont care, Oilers are better than the predators by a mile, this will be a very tough match up.

ask yourself how often do we win the pucks when its dumped in? this is why we HAD to have hughes and our D join the rushes vs nashville.

we are one of the slowest teams in the league... only garland and miller can attack with any resemblance of speed... i would say mikeyhev too but he is a enigma, whenever he touches the puck its guaranteed to hit the goalie right in the crest.

im pretty sure we lose in 6

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, PeteyBOI said:

i know im gonna catch heat for this post and i dont care, Oilers are better than the predators by a mile, this will be a very tough match up.

ask yourself how often do we win the pucks when its dumped in? this is why we HAD to have hughes and our D join the rushes vs nashville.

we are one of the slowest teams in the league... only garland and miller can attack with any resemblance of speed... i would say mikeyhev too but he is a enigma, whenever he touches the puck its guaranteed to hit the goalie right in the crest.

Just because you can look at things without being a homer doesn’t mean you should take heat for a perfectly logical post. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

Oilers are a lot more than just Mcdavid and Draisatl.

The additions of Kane and Hyman along with RNH really rounded out their top 6. 
Along with additions like Henrique and Perry plus others and they have a solid forward group. Their forward group might even have an edge on our forward group.

Our defence is a lot better than theirs though. And hopefully better goal tending as well. 

It will not be easy, should be a pretty fair series.

Luckily DEFENSE Wins Championships. :classic_biggrin:

• Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, PeteyBOI said:

Lindholm and Hoglander can both attack with speed too

we are definitely not one of the slowest teams in the league, nowhere close

yes the oilers will be a tough matchup but they are still a very very beatable team. they did great against bottom feeders but weren't dominant against playoff teams down their "best" stretch. They were 9-8 against playoff teams since January 1st, and worse than that before the new year. 

they had a very hard schedule early in the year, and a very easy schedule towards the end. sort of the opposite of our schedule. 

the x factor is going to be our goaltending. can silovs stand on his head until demko gets back? if so, id say we have a more than 50% chance of beating them

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 12:13 AM, Miss Korea said:

If this series goes long we are about to see ungodly levels of toxicity from both fanbases

Good.   They beat us so badly in the 80's we never got to play them in the post season.   Aside from 1986.   Our record is 2-7.    Fuck the Oilers and their stupid mall.    6-7.    And all that crying in central Alberta would be nice to see. 

Edit:  As for the Oiler apologists on this site, who cares if your "right"  ... go take a seat with them at this stage of the game.  Pick a side and STFU.   They don't have a Gretzky or Furh, or Coffey (ok on the bench, which is a little scary), just McHouse, DryDick and  a horse kicked RHD plus well a couple good players.     We stay out of the box not a problem.   And they are going to feel the pain tomorrow night.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Ceci, Desharnais, and Kulak wouldn't crack our lineup. Their D is garbage beyond comprehension. They got lucky with LA - LA was the perfect matchup for them.

Their D will melt when our forwards attack their zone with speed

Nurse would also be a healthy scratch and Bouchard wouldn't even make the Abbotsford team.  That blueline is AHL quality at best.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Good.   They beat us so badly in the 80's we never got to play them in the post season.   Aside from 1986.   Our record is 2-7.    Fuck the Oilers and their stupid mall.    6-7.    And all that crying in central Alberta would be nice to see. 

Edit:  As for the Oiler apologists on this site, who cares if your "right"  ... go take a seat with them at this stage of the game.  Pick a side and STFU.   They don't have a Gretzky or Furh, or Coffey (ok on the bench, which is a little scary), just McHouse, DryDick and  a horse kicked RHD plus well a couple good players.     We stay out of the box not a problem.   And they are going to feel the pain tomorrow night.  

Wednesday night iBatch.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Nurse would also be a healthy scratch and Bouchard wouldn't even make the Abbotsford team.

horse gtfo GIF

Heffy we don't always see eye to eye, but right now we do.  Live feed Bouchard "training " for the second round.   Can't teach dumb, quite like this. 

IMG_4039.png

• Haha 1

Just now, IBatch said:

Was doing Bouchard training regimen above.  Thx! 

My friend was telling me he plays a lot of Red Dead Redemption 2, and the horses tend to poop a lot.

So if an NPC gives him any lip he pushes them off the back of his horse, and lets the horse do his business.

😆

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Exactly.  Such a STUPID argument that canucks just shouldn't put themselves in the position ... for diving and embellishment. 

So what? Don't touch the Oilers then?  A gentle tap of a stick is all it would take if the player collapses.

Actually not stupid at all. There is a lot of intelligence there if you look for it and our coaches should definitely be educating and reminding the players of these exact things.

If you don't want penalties for that stuff don't get your stick high up on the opponent when checking, don't get your stick in the opposition's hands, don't stick check players as they skate by, use your legs and skate instead, don't cheat at all and use use your stick or holding to slow players down, don't interfere with the Oiler players, don't clutch and grab, don't overplay the hit, beware of McDavid when he's out there so you don't get caught and have to resort to a penalty. Get in front of the game. Lots a player can do.

So yeah don't touch the Oilers players illegally if you don't want penalties called against you. Seems like really good advice actually. Stupid argument ... no it's a really good one?

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Actually not stupid at all. There is a lot of intelligence there if you look for it and our coaches should definitely be educating and reminding the players of these exact things.

If you don't want penalties for that stuff don't get your stick high up on the opponent when checking, don't get your stick in the opposition's hands, don't stick check players as they skate by, use your legs and skate instead, don't cheat at all and use use your stick or holding to slow players down, don't interfere with the Oiler players, don't clutch and grab, don't overplay the hit, beware of McDavid when he's out there so you don't get caught and have to resort to a penalty. Get in front of the game. Lots a player can do.

So yeah don't touch the Oilers players illegally if you don't want penalties called against you. Seems like really good advice actually. Stupid argument ... no it's a really good one?

You realize the game is insanely fast out there right? If you send that kinda message to your team, you will get steam rolled in the playoffs.  You're literally telling your team to not engage.

I stand by it that it's a stupid argument.  I'd rather my team play physical than to just sit back and let the opposition dictate the play.

Posted (edited)

Chris Cuthbert doing play by play for Canucks Oilers series.  He's pretty good. Good choice.

But Craig Simpson doing colour?  The guy is an ex Oiler. WTF?

Edited by fanfor42

34 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Difference between falling a lot and embellishment. 

Is there? I think some of those falls are penalty draws, he isn’t that weak. 

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Exactly.  Such a STUPID argument that canucks just shouldn't put themselves in the position ... for diving and embellishment. 

So what? Don't touch the Oilers then?  A gentle tap of a stick is all it would take if the player collapses.

It's just easy for people to say, that's all. It's subjective, and at times too subjective. That's how things can be all things all the time, and some things some of the time. It's the foundation for double standards. It's how people flip things back and make it our fault - or on you - rather than looking closer and giving validity to the issue at hand.

With that said, we've been pretty wild with our sticks this season and it has cost us. We need to control what we can control, be more disciplined where we can be, all without losing anything from our game and what got us there - physicality, finishing checks, leveraging the body, hands, skating, sticks, etc.  That may mean running the risk of being in a certain position as long as we're not playing worried and not being afraid to engage. We played that way for years and it got us nowhere.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Chris Cuthbert doing play by play for Canucks Oilers series.  He's pretty good. Good choice.

But Craig Simpson doing colour?  The guy is an ex Oiler. WTF?

Alternative is DeBrusk who is their colour guy for home games and also isn't capable of conducting himself appropriately.  Sportsnet really doesn't care how badly their broadcasters disgrace the country with their lack of professionalism; we are lucky to be spared from Singh.