Petey named Lady Byng finalist

Posted (edited)

I must say, that I for one am disgusted at the snub that Bard Marchand of the Boston Bruins receives each year when it comes around to finalists for the Lady Byng awards. An absolute travesty!

image.gif.970f880c5244fce244477202789a155d.gif

Why the restraint he showed in not going after Ovi after this hit deserves a Lady Byng nomination ... for Ovi that is ... in the amount of restraint Ovi exhibited in not absolutely destroying the Rat on this particular hit. 

Alexander Ovechkin sends Brad Marchand flying with massive crunch

Edited by Rocket-68

45 minutes ago, NHLer said:

Huge year for our team in terms of awards and nominations! 

Norris

Jack Adams

Vezina

Lady Byng 

Pacific Division 

I expect also gm of the year and outside shot at selke (won't win, but I could see finalist). 

• chaos 1

7 hours ago, NHLer said:

Norris

Jack Adams

Vezina

Lady Byng 

Pacific Division 

This is an impressive year. Probably the best since 2011.

Hughes was the first ever Norris finalist from the Canucks and is likely to be the first ever winner.

And Tocchet is the favorite for the Jack Adams.

Petey won't win the Lady Byng and Demko won't win the Vezina, but just being a finalist is a major accomplishment.

It is possible that Alvin could be nominated as GM of the year but the problem is that most people will assume that Rutherford deserves a lot of the credit (and they will probably be right). So I think the odds are against him being nominated.

10 hours ago, NHLer said:

Norris

Jack Adams

Vezina

Lady Byng 

Pacific Division 

Lord Stanley

Ph00ey to people saying I jinxed it!

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

Mogilny won and was pretty annoyed about it...Not all players consider this an honour, but suppose times have changed too.   It's not the 90'- 2000's anymore, this is definitely a generational think too (boomers - Gen x).    Not sure of the accuracy, but do remember how annoyed he was to win it, even at the acceptance  speech you could tell he didn't want to be there, like he knew what was coming.   If this is 100% accurate, even Bettman threw a jab at Mogilny and the award in his remarks.  "Soft" "Delicate"..yikes.    No NHLer likes that term. 

IMG_4025.png

IMG_4024.png

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Bob Long said:

well, this should elevate his reputation with the Petey haters in here. 

See above article.   Think the games evolved a little out of this type of thinking, aside from Gretzky, don't re-call anyone really celebrating it, and Gretzky was celebrating the award and its history (his book). Personally like it, but definitely can understand there was a significant period of time, winning this was like "winning" a couple years of extra whirlies, pantsing, a the honour of becoming that kid in school that did something so egregious the entire cohort (including the folks in your group) teased you about for years.    Sure Don Cherry led the charge "don't give me a Byng winner"  "let the Euro's win that, give me Howe,  Messier, Lindros!"   He didn't say that, but at times he might as well have.    Byng = Weakness is stupid, if anything it's a good reminder that the sport used to be overly violent.   And needs some checks and balances.   It's incredibly difficult to win this, probably up there with the Hart really.    It's way easier to cross-check some in the head and knock them out of the series.    Good thing that a no no. 

Remember well "the pussy of the year award"  was passed around like a hot potato, until Datsyuk got a stranglehold on it..  Him and St. Louis, hardly pussies.    Same with  the list of winners. 

Personally feel players like Beliveau (didn't win, but his style was close to as perfect as one could hope to have, at least from what i've read about him), Mikita, Dionne, Francis, Sakic,  Gretzky were/are tremendous ambassadors for the sport.   Barkov.  Kopitar.   McKinnon. It's not easy to play the game within its limits.   EP draws a lot of penalties.   That's a massive net gain for the team.   Pretty sure he embellishes some of his falling down.   Also think this is Slavins to lose, an incredible player, playing a position that's tough not to take down a player for an entire season.    Mathews, that's some good company. 

Hope EP wins, if not this year, maybe down the road.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, IBatch said:

See above article.   Think the games evolved a little out of this type of thinking, aside from Gretzky, don't re-call anyone really celebrating it, and Gretzky was celebrating the award and its history (his book). Personally like it, but definitely can understand there was a significant period of time, winning this was like "winning" a couple years of extra whirlies, pantsing, a the honour of becoming that kid in school that did something so egregious the entire cohort (including the folks in your group) teased you about for years.    Sure Don Cherry led the charge "don't give me a Byng winner"  "let the Euro's win that, give me Howe,  Messier, Lindros!"   He didn't say that, but at times he might as well have.    Byng = Weakness is stupid, if anything it's a good reminder that the sport used to be overly violent.   And needs some checks and balances.   It's incredibly difficult to win this, probably up there with the Hart really.    It's way easier to cross-check some in the head and knock them out of the series.    Good thing that a no no. 

Remember well "the pussy of the year award"  was passed around like a hot potato, until Datsyuk got a stranglehold on it..  Him and St. Louis, hardly pussies.    Same with  the list of winners. 

Personally feel players like Beliveau (didn't win, but his style was close to as perfect as one could hope to have, at least from what i've read about him), Mikita, Dionne, Francis, Sakic,  Gretzky were/are tremendous ambassadors for the sport.   Barkov.  Kopitar.   McKinnon. It's not easy to play the game within its limits.   EP draws a lot of penalties.   That's a massive net gain for the team.   Pretty sure he embellishes some of his falling down.   Also think this is Slavins to lose, an incredible player, playing a position that's tough not to take down a player for an entire season.    Mathews, that's some good company. 

Hope EP wins, if not this year, maybe down the road.  

That's actually sad to read. I had no idea mogilny went through that.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Mogilny won and was pretty annoyed about it...Not all players consider this an honour, but suppose times have changed too.   It's not the 90'- 2000's anymore, this is definitely a generational think too (boomers - Gen x).    Not sure of the accuracy, but do remember how annoyed he was to win it, even at the acceptance  speech you could tell he didn't want to be there, like he knew what was coming.   If this is 100% accurate, even Bettman threw a jab at Mogilny and the award in his remarks.  "Soft" "Delicate"..yikes.    No NHLer likes that term. 

IMG_4025.png

IMG_4024.png

Lol such a funny read

On 5/4/2024 at 8:18 AM, Bob Long said:

well, this should elevate his reputation with the Petey haters in here. 

AHHHHHHHhhhhhhhHHHHHh, Shucks!  How sweet & nice for such a "swell" fella !

Bambi (1942) - IMDb

• Haha 1

Its a strange award.

Imagine if they had a Lady Byng for the NFL.  "Most gentlemanly player" ?

Thing is, today, I doubt the top women players today would like to be given an award of the equivalent;  "Most ladylike demeanour on the ice"

Lady Byng proposed it like this:

Feeling a great desire to help your effort to "clean up hockey" and eliminate the needless rough play that at present is a threat to the national game, and also to leave a tangible record of the enjoyment I personally have had from the game during our sojourn in Canada, I am writing to ask you if you will let me offer a challenge cup for the man on any team in the National Hockey League, who, while being thoroughly effective, is also a thoroughly clean player.I am convinced that the public desires good sport, not the injuring of players, and if, by donating this challenge cup, I can in any way help towards this end, it will give me a great deal of pleasure.SIGNED)

Evelyn Byng of Vimy

Maybe its just a misogynistic attitude to an award with the word "Lady" in it, for a men's sport.  A physical sport.  Would it be more palatable if it were renamed after Jean Beliveau?  This has been proposed before.  Because after saying all that, I think its still important to recognize players who are so skilled they don't have to hamper or hurt other players to help their teams win. That their pure skill is enough.

I don't know if this analogy works but its kind of like awarding a comedian for being able to be funny without having to resort to foul language.  Like Seinfeld or Conan or maybe Jim Gaffigan.  And if I think of it that way, I do admire that kind of talent that can be good on its own merits without getting nasty to be noticed more.