[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

Is there a legit streaming service (I will pay) that doesn’t blackout Canuck’s games in Ontario. 
‘I got tired of paying for TSN and sportsnet so that I could watch the Leafs and every US team game but not Canadian teams because of the antiquated blackout system. 
Centre ice is no longer a thing. I am not going to Sportsnet Now since they just extend the blackouts to streaming and prefer not to vpn all the time. 

Can't believe this day is finally here! I agree with an earlier poster who said "i don't need to see petey or miller today". Let the bubble players, or AHL bound kids get an extra game, good for them to compete with NHL talent. I expect there will be a decent pace, even if passes and the more fine tune aspects of the game are rusty.

I'm at my nephews birthday at a kids play place from 4-7... Might have to go get stuck in one of the tunnels with my Sportsnet app like a true forumcanucks.com fan

Go Nucks Go.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Is there a legit streaming service (I will pay) that doesn’t blackout Canuck’s games in Ontario. 
‘I got tired of paying for TSN and sportsnet so that I could watch the Leafs and every US team game but not Canadian teams because of the antiquated blackout system. 
Centre ice is no longer a thing. I am not going to Sportsnet Now since they just extend the blackouts to streaming and prefer not to vpn all the time. 

I promise I didnt see this before my next post lol. Wasn't throwing shade! didnt know they added the blackouts

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Myers was still Tocchet’s most used PKer. Hopefully he goes to PK2 now with Cole and Soucy. 

Yup. Was Tocchet who said last year, when he got here, we had to have guys playing in the right roles? Myers will be fine as a 16-18 minute, third pairing, second unit PK guy. I think we end up, though, with Hronek on the second unit PK for his offensive skills. He is excellent as a PK guy and will get the last 30-40 seconds so we can catch a tired second unit PP in transition. I think our late in the opponents’ Power Play PK unit will have Hronek and Petey on it. Myers could play that role too, but Hronek is better. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup. Was Tocchet who said last year, when he got here, we had to have guys playing in the right roles? Myers will be fine as a 16-18 minute, third pairing, second unit PK guy. I think we end up, though, with Hronek on the second unit PK for his offensive skills. He is excellent as a PK guy and will get the last 30-40 seconds so we can catch a tired second unit PP in transition. I think our late in the opponents’ Power Play PK unit will have Hronek and Petey on it. Myers could play that role too, but Hronek is better. 

Very curious to see what we actually have in Hronek. Which player is he?  The defensively questionable poor passer that Detroit fans paint him as or the elite D that Alf fantasizes about. 
‘I imagine the truth as usual is somewhere in the middle. Solid but not spectacular D, good shot but has never got to 10g and solid puck rusher but not great passer or vision. 

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s great this management has created actual competition for spots. And even the guys who are locks are competing for ice time. Internal competition is very healthy for a club and something Benning 🤢 never got done. 

Felt like when there weren't obvious trades to be made that he (Benning) struggled to  create anything. Then all we ever heard is we tried. We tried. Over and over. Allvin seems to make trades happen out of nowhere and without being on the losing side of the transaction to address needs which gives me way more confidence in this management group. Speaking of transactions, I still think Ethan Bear comes back to this group as well.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Very curious to see what we actually have in Hronek. Which player is he?  The defensively questionable poor passer that Detroit fans paint him as or the elite D that Alf fantasizes about. 
‘I imagine the truth as usual is somewhere in the middle. Solid but not spectacular D, good shot but has never got to 10g and solid puck rusher but not great passer or vision. 

Hronek was Detroit’s best player. The Detroit fans can suck pucks. We stole their best player and they’re pissed about it. Too bad for them. They can watch Slo Mo continue to struggle while trying to play the role Hronek did. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

This talk of Studnika has me hoping he's in the line up here against the Flames.  Sounds like he's giving the coaching staff every reason to put him in the line up. 

A RH centre is exactly what this team is missing. Anyone know his faceoff stats?

Won 77 of 159 (48.4%) with us which is about what he averages from what I've read.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Felt like when there weren't obvious trades to be made that he (Benning) struggled to  create anything. Then all we ever heard is we tried. We tried. Over and over. Allvin seems to make trades happen out of nowhere and without being on the losing side of the transaction to address needs which gives me way more confidence in this management group. Speaking of transactions, I still think Ethan Bear comes back to this group as well.

Yup. Really like Bear. Once we’ve started the season, and his contract can be put into LTIR I think we sign him. When he’s ready to go, that’s when we ship out Myers. And the timing should be good too. It will be after the new year and closer to the TDL, so Myers will have his highest value. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

Won 77 of 159 (48.4%) with us which is about what he averages from what I've read.

Love to get Malholtra back as a coach. I think his coaching could improve all our Face Off guys’ a couple %. Plus Manny was excellent on the PK and in a shutdown role. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Love to get Malholtra back as a coach. I think his coaching could improve all our Face Off guys’ a couple %. Plus Manny was excellent on the PK and in a shutdown role. 

So weird...I had a dream I was at a game last night chanting "Manny, Manny". Out of the blue.

• Vintage 1

Just now, AmyTheGma said:

Might have to open up the old pensioners purse and renew the SN Now subscription for tonight.  Really excited to see some of the prospects and how they perform with some real competition(if you can call Calgary that 😉)

I would love to see Woo get a shot with Quin and see if there is any chemistry.  I think there could be…

I would love to see McDonough with Miller and Brock also, but that may be Pod’s spot to lose.  Hopefully Hogs performance gets better too as these games start to unfold.

So happy to have some hockey to watch again though!

Yup. Woo could definitely be the guy for Hughes. Smart, skates well, first to picks, and physical. Hughes needs a guy that will be first back to pucks and free them up so Hughes can pick it up and make the play. He hasn’t had a partner like that since Tanev. Woo skates well enough to play that way. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

It’s great this management has created actual competition for spots. And even the guys who are locks are competing for ice time. Internal competition is very healthy for a club and something Benning 🤢 never got done. 

The Benning days did give us Jack “chew through rope” Skille! 

But yes, big change from PTOs and paying older vets to fill depth spots to legitimate promising young players fighting for spots.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, AmyTheGma said:

Might have to open up the old pensioners purse and renew the SN Now subscription for tonight.  Really excited to see some of the prospects and how they perform with some real competition(if you can call Calgary that 😉)

I would love to see Woo get a shot with Quin and see if there is any chemistry.  I think there could be…

I would love to see McDonough with Miller and Brock also, but that may be Pod’s spot to lose.  Hopefully Hogs performance gets better too as these games start to unfold.

So happy to have some hockey to watch again though!

Absolutely, me too.  He’s had a great camp so far, and think we should explore keeping him and Juulsen on the roster to play with Hughes

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Woo could definitely be the guy for Hughes. Smart, skates well, first to picks, and physical. Hughes needs a guy that will be first back to pucks and free them up so Hughes can pick it up and make the play. He hasn’t had a partner like that since Tanev. Woo skates well enough to play that way. 

Yes I really don’t think it would be smart to risk waivers after all Woo has gone through.  Gotta at least give him a few games to see what we have.