[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

That would kinda defeat the purpose of waivers though.

The point of them is to give players that are waiver eligible a chance to stick in the league. If this loophole existed some players would constantly get buried.

This makes the most sense, but that would have been a nice little loophole! 

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

They can send players down without waivers, as long as it's longer than 12 days before the start of the reg season.  At least that's my understanding 

I'm pretty sure that's not right. AFAIR at the beginning of the season anyone who is waivers eligible and isn't recalled from the AHL would need to pass through.

Edited by Biff Tannen

4 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Is there a legit streaming service (I will pay) that doesn’t blackout Canuck’s games in Ontario. 
‘I got tired of paying for TSN and sportsnet so that I could watch the Leafs and every US team game but not Canadian teams because of the antiquated blackout system. 
Centre ice is no longer a thing. I am not going to Sportsnet Now since they just extend the blackouts to streaming and prefer not to vpn all the time. 

Regional restrictions  applied. I myself am in ottawa, yet there are ways around it. Tired of Toronto Sports network holding us hostage

42 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm pretty sure that's not right. AFAIR at the beginning of the season anyone who is waivers eligible and isn't recalled from the AHL would need to pass through.

"Waivers go into effect 12 days before the start of the regular season. They last until the day after a teams’ playing season"

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-waiver-rules/

43 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Waivers only apply on the way down.  Re-entry waivers no longer exist

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Doesn’t that just mean players can’t be sent down or re-assigned until 12 days before regular season?

Pretty sure if a player is waiver eligible they have to pass through waivers to be sent down. There’s no period before the season where you can get around that.

The waiver period starts 12 days before the regular season and ends one day after the season ends for that team.  So, technically we could send down Rathbone today to Abby and he wouldn't need to clear waivers.  The problem with this is that the player isn't given any chance to prove himself, so would be pointless to send the player down until they've had a chance to prove themselves and play some preseason games...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

The waiver period starts 12 days before the regular season and ends one day after the season ends for that team.  So, technically we could send down Rathbone today to Abby and he wouldn't need to clear waivers.  The problem with this is that the player isn't given any chance to prove himself, so would be pointless to send the player down until they've had a chance to prove themselves and play some preseason games...

Unless we know the player isn’t going to make the big to start this season, has a lot of development left in his runway, and he will get plucked off waivers later on. Woo is the player I think we need to keep away from waivers. Send him down now, and bring him back up to stay after we dumperoo Myers. 

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

"Waivers go into effect 12 days before the start of the regular season. They last until the day after a teams’ playing season"

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-waiver-rules/

The point is that waivers are not meaningful until the approach of the regular season. The Canucks cannot assign a player to Abby in, say, August, and avoid waivers. Such assignments only become meaningful once the waiver period starts.

There is no loophole. Every player who is not waiver exempt must clear waivers before going to Abby.

Edited by JamesB
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, Alflives said:

Unless we know the player isn’t going to make the big to start this season, has a lot of development left in his runway, and he will get plucked off waivers later on. Woo is the player I think we need to keep away from waivers. Send him down now, and bring him back up to stay after we dumperoo Myers. 

Think with the cap room we have unless there's a good trade we wait and look again at Xmas break.If nothing TDL we should get the best return like a 3rd or if RHD are limited a 2nd.

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I don't agree with that.  If Woo is wanting to make the team then he needs to impress and play the preseason games in the NHL against the big boys.  Sending him down to the AHL to protect him defeats the purpose of trying to make him an NHL player.  If all he does is stay in the minors then he will never make it to the big club.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't agree with that.  If Woo is wanting to make the team then he needs to impress and play the preseason games in the NHL against the big boys.  Sending him down to the AHL to protect him defeats the purpose of trying to make him an NHL player.  If all he does is stay in the minors then he will never make it to the big club.  

So if he doesn't have a spot, just risk losing a 23 year old RHD?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We have five days though, right? Do play Woo every game until that time. If he proves he’s ready now then make room for him. If he still needs to move along his runway of development (and he still has a long runway left to grow) then send him down at the last moment before the five days is up, 

• ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Don’t think that’s true.

For him to go to Abby he will need to clear waivers. They won’t be able to put him on waivers for another 5 days. 

• Vintage 2

Just now, stawns said:

So if he doesn't have a spot, just risk losing a 23 year old RHD?

If he can't beat out the likes of Noah Juulsen, Cole McWard and Filip Johansson then he doesn't really deserve to be on the team and probably will never make it.  Also, if he can't make the Canucks as an 8th Dman then who exactly is going to claim him?  In order to claim a player that player needs to make the 23 man roster...

• Cheers 3