[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Abbostford Canucks coming in hot. Honestly. They have a lot to prove and this is a golden opportunity. They are playing a divisional rival's close to NHL roster. If I were one of the Canucks. I'd be chomping at the bit to get on the ice this game.

Yeah exactly. It's the Abbotsford Canucks vs. Calgary Wranglers. It's payback time! 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, JamesB said:

As a lot of people have pointed out, today's Canuck lineup look very thin. Yea, usually in the early preseason games the home team puts up a near-NHL lineup and the visiting team plays a lot more young guys, but this is about as extreme a case as I have seen.

Looking at the Canuck lineup, barring injury, none of the three goalies on the trip (Silovs, Sawchenko, Lemieux) will make the 23-man roster.

As for the D, it is quite likely that no-one on the trip will make the 23-man roster, although Irwin and Juulsen have a decent shot. But right now it looks like the Canuck D will include Hughes, Hronek, Soucy, Cole, Myers, and Brisebois as the top 6 and then Wolanin as 7th man. None of those guys are in Calgary.

Among the forwards, I think only two guys (out of 13 on the trip) are a lock to make the 23-man roster: Suter and Hoglander. Several guys have a shot -- Joshua, Podkolzin, Aman, maybe Studnika and maybe Dries.

My best guess is that of the 23 guys going to Calgary, only 3 or maybe 4 guys make the 23-man roster to start the season, and only 2 or 3 are actually in the opening night active roster.

Still, it will be interesting. It is a good opportunity for one or more of these guys to really make a statement. The guy I am really interesting in is Studnika. Most of us (maybe all of us) had written him off but by all accounts he has come to camp this year completely revitalized. That would be found money.  And it is a good chance for any one of the young guys on D to move up the depth chart.

Yeah agreed on the predictions, I forgot about Joshua, Suter, and Aman in there. 

Either way, I'm happy with this lineup. 

As I said on page 1, I'm not interested in watching our big guns play a whole bunch of early pre-season games. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1