[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

Just now, Odd. said:

So we’re cancelling seizure jokes now that weren’t aimed at anyone?

K dude.

It just seems like so many posters make glib responses to things that other people take very seriously. And I didn't realize that there was a seizure joke genre.

1 minute ago, Breadnbutta said:

I was so excited for podz and hogz but it's not materializing.. I know it's one game but I'm going back to last year...

Hogs will make the big club cause of waivers. I think Pods goes to Abby.

That's been my impression pre-training camp.

Pod needs to rev up his give-a-crap meter down Abby this year I think.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Breadnbutta said:

I was so excited for podz and hogz but it's not materializing.. I know it's one game but I'm going back to last year...

Hogs will make the big club cause of waivers. I think Pods goes to Abby.

and maybe that’s the right thing to do.

Some people seem to want a Virtanen 2.0 situation in terms of providing minutes to someone who arguably isn’t ready for them. Podz won’t suffer from another year in the A and in a potential leadership role he can grow into. He’s young, just had a baby, lots of personal pressure…he might just be better served being exposed to more minutes and potential success in the A under Colliton, who I think would be great for Pods’ continued confidence build. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

31 minutes ago, CanucksCritic said:

This team needs to get their shit together and actually have a solid start. If we miss the playoffs, we’re losing Pettersson.

We aren't losing Pettersson, we are gaining 10 million. He is a UFA he has limited rights and he doesn't want to be here let him go, I rather have 2 x 5 or 6 million dollar players than 1 Pettersson. We need to let these arrogant athletes know we aren't paying double digits for ANYONE and they need to stop being greedy. If owners get together we can prevent players from getting rich, nothing upsets me more more seeing other people make millions while we are suffering here on a daily in this city.

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I’d argue how you handle the loss potentially kills your own career.

Playing rookies with other rookies is easy to see who is going to flourish. One of tonites lousier players given a call up in reg season playing with real NHL quality players that same player could have a real impact. But the decision to  have played him with other players his own age and skill level may have jeorodized that future chance. Because the decision was already made.  So yes indeed when evaluating players this way. It’s entirely possible to screw up a players growth and learning curve. Especially if you’ve already made decisions on his future with lousy evaluations from a position coming from way higher. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

OK. Everyone on this roster tonight is getting cut tomorrow lol. Double digits against the lames,damn

I wouldn’t expect to see many cuts for a while, other than the handful of guys who could get returned to junior or loaned to Europe. The AHL players will probably stick around until Abbotsford’s training camp opens on October 4th.

I would, however, hope to see the team start to focus down on the roster, when it comes to the remaining preseason games. There are only really a handful of players on the bubble. The rest are pretty much known, whether it’s the NHL or AHL team. I’d expect to see the game lineups start to reflect this. The extra guys can stick around and practice. Maybe have some scrimmages. But I don’t really think too many of these 100% certain Abby-bound players need to see any more NHL preseason game action. Time to start focussing in on the actual NHL Canucks team for opening night and getting those guys ready.

Edited by SISMIM

Anyone that had a chance at any of the positions available were literally put in a spot to fail tonight. Doesn’t really matter how anyone here wants to spin it. Ppl competing for bottom 6 spots matched up against top defensive pairings lines etc.. ppl competing for 3rd pairing matched up against top lines that they normally would rarely see. It’s almost like the Canucks had 0 interest in the preseason game and forced to just put ppl out there for the sake of icing a team. Like I said I’ll be happy if the Canucks ice a legitimate 1st 2nd or 3rd line and a 1st 2nd or 3rd pairing just need 1 line from forward and 1 from defence. Especially the defence.. they need actual games to get some chemistry going with all the new players.. but knowing the Canucks most the regulars will play 2 games and just 1 final game with a regular lineup and then come out slow during the regular season just like every other year.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

How could management let that happen

Let what happen.

For the AHL depth guys to understand what it takes to win in the NHL? They were testing who would sink or swim, who continued trying to play the right way, attention to detail and high compete level in a stressful, and in this case, embarrassing situation. The score doesn't matter. Coaches and management knew EXACTLY what they were doing.

Question is, did you?

As for the game, the question is who stood out. Who did the things they were looking for. Those are the players leading the pack to land NHL jobs.

Great lesson for the depth guys tonight.

Edited by Canuckle
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Strawbone said:

This is pretty much Xmas morning levels of excitement knowing that Canucks hockey is back baby!

44 years I’ve been watching or listening to nearly every game. It’s part of my life, a sort of comfort food for the soul. Just the thought of settling in on the couch for the evening to watch a hockey game is enough to make my day. 

😮

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

Anyone that had a chance at any of the positions available were literally put in a spot to fail tonight. Doesn’t really matter how anyone here wants to spin it. Ppl competing for bottom 6 spots matched up against top defensive pairings lines etc.. ppl competing for 3rd pairing matched up against top lines that they normally would rarely see. It’s almost like the Canucks had 0 interest in the preseason game and forced to just put ppl out there for the sake of icing a team. Like I said I’ll be happy if the Canucks ice a legitimate 1st 2nd or 3rd line and a 1st 2nd or 3rd pairing just need 1 line from forward and 1 from defence. Especially the defence.. they need actual games to get some chemistry going with all the new players.. but knowing the Canucks most the regulars will play 2 games and just 1 final game with a regular lineup and then come out slow during the regular season just like every other year.

How many of those guys are going to be on the roster? The team gets to see how guys respond to pressure. We had a lot of penalties so we got a look at some guys there as well. The benefit is that the young guys see what level they have to get to to make it. As bottom line players these are some of the matchups that they have to get used to.

• Thanks 1

Well that was a sucky ass load of suck of a return to Hockey. 

I mean it was mostly our AHL team vs their almost NHL team and the familiarity showed for them that was for sure. The gulf shouldn't be that big tho, as what is gonna suck even more is when we draw or lose to their AHL team when the reverse happens - Petey and Co probably get shutout by Wolf and the excuse will be - oh try outs always try harder than vets in preseason ... then we goto stink up the season again just like the past god knows how many years 🤣😂🤦‍♂️

I turned it off after 6 - but the main takeaways i got by then were : 

- Arty needs to keep on Partying in the A for another year - glad we signed the lad from Montreal now. 
- Raty looks ready to do a job if we need him. Likely will goto the A for a bit - but u can see there is a player there for sure. 

- Hogz looks ready, but still struggles with some assets of the game. 

- Studnika and Suter looked ok at times.  

- Woo looked strong and defended man to man well but seemed all over the place in the system - hope he learns as its do or die, probably ends up as a Pittsburg waiver claim :( . 
- Rest of the team looked far from ready for anything. Tho i know it was early and they clearly struggled to gel together against a well organized and experience Flames team. 
- I'm really worried about Podz - I've been rooting for the kid since we drafted him, but all i see there is an ok motor. He skates around a lot without much purpose and skill, not really quick, not really physical and skill wise doesn't seem to have more than a tweener like PDG etc - Hope I'm wrong, but its hardly 'early' for him anymore - Looking like another wasted high pick 😞

- Team has no physicality or pushback . . . after all these years, and wait till we play the Flames AHL team - their a big group. 

Well onto the next one - it can only get better from here, too early to lose hope on a AHL Vs NHL away game showing to start the season full or rusty. Hopefully, the lines start to take shape and we can build some chemistry from here. 

Just now, Canuckle said:

Let what happen.

For the AHL depth guys to understand what it takes to win in the NHL? They were testing who would sink or swim, who continued trying to play the right way, attention to detail and high compete level in a stressful, and in this case, embarrassing situation. They score doesn't matter. Coaches and management knew EXACTLY what they were doing.

Question is, did you?

As for the game, the question is who stood out. Who did the things they were looking for. Those are the players leading the pack to land NHL jobs.

Great lesson for the depth guys tonight.

What happened tonight isn't good for anyones career.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3