[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

F the loser Cowpies, and their smelly puck sucking fans and city. Why in the heck should we Canuck fans care one bit about them or any other team. F ‘em all! We are great! Drink booze! Alf thinks he ain’t staying awake for the game. That bottle was full, want it? 

565D0DA2-D842-4F20-8A84-5A88AB704CF9.jpeg

I heard Mrs. Alf is a closet cowgirl.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If he can't beat out the likes of Noah Juulsen, Cole McWard and Filip Johansson then he doesn't really deserve to be on the team and probably will never make it.  Also, if he can't make the Canucks as an 8th Dman then who exactly is going to claim him?  In order to claim a player that player needs to make the 23 man roster...

Teams don't tend to put developing kids in #7-8D roster spots. Developing kids need to PLAY. They're either good enough for a top 6 role where they get play time, or they go to the minors to get play time. 

Unfortunately, until/if we move Myers, the only RD slot we have "open", is top pair beside Hughes. That's a lot to ask from a guy coming out of the minors, and expected to be a bottom pair NHL D as his ceiling.

36 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Have you seen our lineup? 

I count about 14 Flames regulars, and about... 2 Canucks regulars? 

31 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

geez....lookin at the lineup it looks like Lames are bringin the big guns against team tryuout canucks...

As a lot of people have pointed out, today's Canuck lineup look very thin. Yea, usually in the early preseason games the home team puts up a near-NHL lineup and the visiting team plays a lot more young guys, but this is about as extreme a case as I have seen.

Looking at the Canuck lineup, barring injury, none of the three goalies on the trip (Silovs, Sawchenko, Lemieux) will make the 23-man roster.

As for the D, it is quite likely that no-one on the trip will make the 23-man roster, although Irwin and Juulsen have a decent shot. But right now it looks like the Canuck D will include Hughes, Hronek, Soucy, Cole, Myers, and Brisebois as the top 6 and then Wolanin as 7th man. None of those guys are in Calgary.

Among the forwards, I think only two guys (out of 13 on the trip) are a lock to make the 23-man roster: Suter and Hoglander. Several guys have a shot -- Joshua, Podkolzin, Aman, maybe Studnika and maybe Dries.

My best guess is that of the 23 guys going to Calgary, only 3 or maybe 4 guys make the 23-man roster to start the season, and only 2 or 3 are actually in the opening night active roster.

Still, it will be interesting. It is a good opportunity for one or more of these guys to really make a statement. The guy I am really interesting in is Studnika. Most of us (maybe all of us) had written him off but by all accounts he has come to camp this year completely revitalized. That would be found money.  And it is a good chance for any one of the young guys on D to move up the depth chart.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, snowman955 said:

Regional restrictions  applied. I myself am in ottawa, yet there are ways around it. Tired of Toronto Sports network holding us hostage

Yeah getting around restrictions is fairly easy as is finding free streaming. 
I really don’t mind paying a reasonable amount for legit streaming. Looks like the Sportsnet premium streaming service dumps the regional restrictions. 

I thought the reason for regional blackouts was to protect some markets not to up charge for the premium streaming service. 

13 minutes ago, Dom said:

I don't get why people are complaining about who we sent... 

Podz/Hoglander/Suter/Studnicka/Aman/Joshua/Dries/Irwin & Hirose/McWard (to an extent) all have NHL experience... it's the first pre season game. 

The big names get an extra day or 2 in the swanky Hotel. The kids gotta go to smelly Alberta.

On 9/23/2023 at 3:32 PM, Slegr said:

canflames.jpg.215c083f6ddd625974419bf7e97a453a.jpg

Pre-season Game #1

Who: Canucks Vs. Flames

What: Pre-season Game #1, on Sportsnet TV and SN650 Radio

Where: Scotia Saddledome, Calgary

When: 5 PM PST (8PM EST)

Who's ready? Let's get this party started! Flames are a tire fire this season, and even a Canucks farm team should be able to douse it out.

season 10 fire GIF

Rosters:

roster.thumb.jpg.114a73d5534893221faeec9f3f0e7f36.jpg

flamsroster.jpg.85131c72c196dfcd25e44aeb60a91512.jpg

IMG_0401.thumb.JPG.f5cb9d6e094e15097cee3c6009e4d49b.JPG

Calgary Flames Nhl GIF by Hockey Players Club

roster.jpg

Thank you Sir. 

:towel:

• Cheers 1