[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

2 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

7-0 blowout but we're playing soft hockey like we're defending a lead. 

It's like Tocchet was saying, not matter if you're winning 10-0 or losing, battle till the end. Not seeing that by a lot of guys. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Dang, turns out our prospects can't stand up to Markstrom, Rasmussen, Tanev, Kadri, Huberdeau, Hanifin...I could go on.

In modern warfare you always use up the obsolete weapons against the enemy and save your best arsenal and technology for the more important battles.

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Did Tochett know the other teams lineup before he iced his? I just don't get why throwing this many rookies to the wolves would be a good idea?

Maybe they wanted to throw em to the wolves and see who sinks who swims?

but seriously wonder if Calgary wanted to avenge the young stars embarrassment haha 

8 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Me too. Nobody learns anything positive.

@J-23 as well.

For sure.

Theyre not children though. They’re professional hockey players who are getting schooled and hopefully can convert that into a lesson and perspective on what they individually and respectively need to work on to further their own careers. 

It’s not like Tocchet or any of the coaches are going to be giving out hugs after the game though.  They’ll focus on negatives and highlight the positives. It sucks for confidence sure, but they are playing a legit NHL club right now and in exhibition where it’s relatively meaningless. It’s a wake up as to the level of play and what to expect if you want to make the cut.

It’s a hard lesson but highly worthwhile if utilized effectively. That’s up to the individual.

Edited by RWJC

4 minutes ago, CanucksRookieFan said:

How are people not shocked? We were suppose to be a different team with massive playoff expectations this year.. 7-0 with half the game to play?

Sylov is out, emotionally and mentally he may nor recover this year again..team has been mentally stumped too and so much of hockey is mental confidence this is a disaster.

You know this isn't our "team", right?

And you spelled Shilllobs wrong

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Darius said:

Yup I remember not so long ago preseason when Oilers were dressing their A roster against us in like game two of preseason and we were worried about rehearsing role players.  Only first game this year but hopefully they don’t make the same mistakes. 

Yea I think Green’s excuse was ”it’s a long season don't want to risk injuries in preseason” we all know how that turned out 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Irwin is and defence is where we have a wide open #6 slot up for grabs. 

irwin is not a regular nor is he even penciled in for a spot.. if the #6 slot is up for grabs.. then perhaps put players in those spots to see how they handle not put them out to get manhandled.. woo rathbone is probably competing for those spots.. they are playing against calgary's top line.. they are getting clobbered.. coz they are playing way above their level.. if the evaluation was based on this game.. then they probably are not going to have a chance as your 6th or 7th defenceman.. but it's not really their fault coz they are playing well above their paygrade.

5 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I was at an all weekend bunnyfest fundraiser that ended at 4. Yesterday I stayed and helped clean up...today I rushed off so I could catch the game. Didn't clean up any bunny poops at all. Maybe I should go back?

Easter Bunny Animation GIF by Katie Lukes

2 minutes ago, Wing said:

At this point of the game, it's down to which guys still have the engine to keep push forward and try to do something good. 

I'm guessing next game we'll dress a half decent lineup. 

Next game is wed at Edmonton. 

Lot of practice time and cuts. 

2 minutes ago, Joshua.Guy said:

What good does this do for anyone involved? We just crushed Silovs for no good reason. He should already be with AHL club along with Woo, Sasson, Karlsson, Rathbone, Klimovich etc. 

Exactly if their going to insert some young guys for just experience it would make more sense putting in a few more regulars instead of throwing all the young to the wolves. At least it would feel more like a call up. This is more like evaluating Abbotsford ?

• Upvote 2