[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

10 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

If they’re sent down in the next 5 days, they don’t pass through waivers?

They’ll still require waivers.

Sending them down now however increases their chance of clearing as other teams are still focused on evaluating their own young players.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

Sending them down now however increases their chance of clearing as other teams are still focused on evaluating their own young players.

I think a lot of players that might get claimed at other times in the season might slip through now.  Like what happened with Markstrome all those years ago.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-waiver-rules/

looks like the waiver period doesn’t begin until 12 days before season start, so maybe we can reassign them before that risk free

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I hope we don’t do the same thing where we lose all the preseason games. It’s no longer an excuse to say “it’s only the preseason “ we have to come and win! Play the actual NHL roster in all the games. We know lost of the players won’t make the team anyway! 

2 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

So Stawns is right. We have until September 28th.

I think there are so many camp battles that we wont prematurely send down a bunch of guys down. 

Its gunna come down to the last two or three games before we see key guys like Woo, Bones, and Juuls sent down. 

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I think there are so many camp battles that we wont prematurely send down a bunch of guys down. 

Its gunna come down to the last two or three games before we see key guys like Woo, Bones, and Juuls sent down. 

True. But at least they have until Thursday as an option. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Also another thing to consider is that they will also be sending down players on waivers the same day as other teams will be and I believe teams are limited to one waiver claim per day so if there are dozens of players put on waivers the same day it increases your likelihood of success and getting them through waivers. 

This is how it used to be anyways, not sure if this is still a rule. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-waiver-rules/

looks like the waiver period doesn’t begin until 12 days before season start, so maybe we can reassign them before that risk free

Doesn’t that just mean players can’t be sent down or re-assigned until 12 days before regular season?

Pretty sure if a player is waiver eligible they have to pass through waivers to be sent down. There’s no period before the season where you can get around that.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Doesn’t that just mean players can’t be sent down or re-assigned until 12 days before regular season?

Pretty sure if a player is waiver eligible they have to pass through waivers to be sent down. There’s no period before the season where you can get around that.

I'm pretty sure you're right. Waivers are intended to benefit the players so they don't get buried. Teams would absolutely abuse this loophole if they could at any point. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yeah, it sure would be nice if they made it clear. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

2 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I'm pretty sure you're right. Waivers are intended to benefit the players so they don't get buried. Teams would absolutely abuse this loophole if they could at any point. 

Yeah, exactly. Waiver eligible players must pass through waivers to get demoted to their farm team. The waiver period is when these transactions can happen. The players can’t be assigned to the AHL outside of the prescribed window. There’s no loophole to bypass waivers and sneak waiver eligible players down to the AHL.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

If they’re sent down in the next 5 days, they don’t pass through waivers?

They can send players down without waivers, as long as it's longer than 12 days before the start of the reg season.  At least that's my understanding 

Just now, stawns said:

They can send players down without waivers, as long as it's longer than 12 days before the start of the reg season.  At least that's my understanding 

That would kinda defeat the purpose of waivers though.

The point of them is to give players that are waiver eligible a chance to stick in the league. If this loophole existed some players would constantly get buried.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

This is pretty much Xmas morning levels of excitement knowing that Canucks hockey is back baby!

44 years I’ve been watching or listening to nearly every game. It’s part of my life, a sort of comfort food for the soul. Just the thought of settling in on the couch for the evening to watch a hockey game is enough to make my day. 

Roughly the same here, late 70s I was 8n the kitchen shooting slappers at mom's fridge, in my head playing for the Canucks. 

• Like 1