[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

Just now, Rekker said:

If the lineups dressed tonight were completely opposite, the score the same, the Flames would probably be scrapping and hitting. This is what pisses me off the most. So ffnn soft, especially for players from the minors. They should be looking to impress the coach.

Yep, they've gotta earn their keep. I don't like that they're just rolling over and letting Calgary get away with this. Not a good look.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Thrago said:

I’m trying to figure out what Canuck coaches see as the upside to doing this every year? It’s mind boggling. Let’s soul crushingly destroy all our young player’s confidence each year, instead of using these games to get our players up to speed for the regular seaso

They must think it’s just got to work eventually..

You can't see it because you are a casual observer and as a fan can contest their decisions but make no mistake these are highly paid (in the millions).seasoned execs who are several steps ahead of you in terms of long term strategy and planning. You need to trust in the process not question it.

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

If the lineups dressed tonight were completely opposite, the score the same, the Flames would probably be scrapping and hitting. This is what pisses me off the most. So ffnn soft, especially for players from the minors. They should be looking to impress the coach.

Let’s be honest - reverse rosters we’d have been up about 3-0 despite a billion scoring chances and then they’d find a way to get to 3-2.   Flip a coin to see if we win or not.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

That’s what I hate the most too. Get nasty. Pretend you care!

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

Competition within also has it adversity’s. It also provides motivation throwing this many players as tonites lineup is creating adversity that would never happen.  Unless 18 regulars were injured and this many call ups  had to happen. These guy were beaten tonite.  Badly. I real can’t see why you or anybody would defend such a stupid game plan. I’ve had some fairly good preseason tryouts In my time but the rookies were ALWAYS the minority. 

The rosters were likely set prior to travel and I highly doubt Tocchet had a conference call with Huska to discuss them prior to. 

there is a reason why the roster for the game is set as it was. 
it’s a highly disappointing game, sure. But it’s not representative of our potential this season or the futility of previous mgmt groups. It’s a single game assessment against what turned out to be pretty difficult odds. At very least, it was to give the fringe players a means to step up with regards to being the main focus.