[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

8 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Rathbone and Woo heading to Abby again.

Yeah. Wasn't impressed at all. Same with Juulsen. These guys, regardless of who their facing, had an opportunity to step up and didn't. Same with a lot of guys. How badly do you want it? 

• Like 1

Just now, Bllewellyn said:

It’s not an overreaction to be very disappointed in this team today. I feel they should go with whatever roster they ended of the year with last year. Send everybody packing back to the ahl get the main team going. Worry about your replacements and development in Abbotsford get the main team, focussed and stop pissing around every year the same results, definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and expecting a different result. Yeah we’ve changed the coaches but each coach does the same shit I’ve had enough, time to be professionals and do a good job. I’d rather watch peewee team than this team right now. Pfft a definite disaster 

I am disappointed in their ability to pushback or show some emotion and try to do something. They looked like they gave up. That's about all I am disappointed in.

• Cheers 1

Just now, HIWATT said:

I question the decision to run up the score on a much less experienced squad.
Who throws their hands up in the air and has a group hug after scoring 10 goals?
On top of that they took a beating for it. 3 guys left the game, one of them a star player who could have been seriously injured there, all before it even matters.
... I thought they fired Sutter?
This is the same old barnyard brains we were used to with him in charge. 

There are guys of their roster fighting for jobs too.  You can't expect them to take their foot off the gas.  They sat their top guys for the last couple powerplays.  

Just now, Barn Burner said:

Yeah. Wasn't impressed at all. Same with Juulsen. These guys, regardless of who their facing, had an opportunity to step up and didn't. Same with a lot of guys. How badly do you want it? 

Hirose and Irwin were the standouts McWard was decent but needs a year in the A. Juulsen was the most disappointing and Woo and Rathbone should be cut tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Top forwards

#1 Suter : kept playing the full 60, made some good defensive plays and good passes, winning draws.

#2 Hoglander : still needs to pass more but can't blame him this game for trying to make something happen. Loved his reverse hit. Skates hard plays hard.

Top Defense 

# 1 McWard/ Rathbone both looked the most steady out there in a chaotic game for defensemen... Rathbone has a wicked shot, McWard has really good positioning and hurries back when out of the play

#2 Woo was putting in the effort although a rough first 10 mins.. penalties and tips the one goal in. He did look like he has the strength and the speed skating wise to play with the big boys. 

Man these young D we left hung to dry. Irwin was a disappointment I thought he looked half interested in that fight. Joshua didn't impress either in a game where it's 100% lopsided those two have a perfect chance to step up, Aman and Dries for two guys who came in to a bad Canucks team and helped out I expected a little more from them too. Studnika was fired up in the first won a draw cleanly and set up for a shot but after that barely noticed him in the 2/3 periods. Be interesting to see who gets another shot this preseason. 

Just now, Jack Gordon said:

These guys were actually very competitive with the Calgary Wranglers last year.

Though, the Wranglers were the better team.

They know who’s going to be on the Canucks. And I get that you have to narrow down who should be looked at harder or for longer but tonites game should. Nip it in the bud for some of these guys. Take the best of tonites game and leave the rest alone leaving the  real bubble players in any longer this preseason jeprodizes it for  the whole team.  They made this same mistake last year and stumbled out of the gate and then were hit with key injury’s. Get the team together for line placement against real opposition not just inter squad play leaving the vets out of real play is stupid. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Gordon said:

I guess it was a good challenge for the Abby guys Deb.

Now they know have a good idea of what it's gonna take to get to the show. 

Totally Jack.

The guys who have spots on our NHL roster are there because they have what it takes. Some players still have to find that. This was a wake up call to some of what they will face on the regular (but with better linemates of course) if they can up their game. 
That’s it that’s all. It’s a wash in terms of score, it’s a reality check to both players and mgmt in terms of who showed what against real adversity and where that situates them in terms of their own development. Sometimes one way to motivate is to get a slap from reality.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Jack Gordon said:

I guess it was a good challenge for the Abby guys Deb.

Now they know have a good idea of what it's gonna take to get to the show. 

Oh for sure....I said something similar earlier and I fully understand why they iced this line up. But it should be a one and done in my opinion. The team's got to get out of the gate at the same time as everyone else this year...no wasted ice time. These preseason games are great for "having a look" but we've seen enough in this one game in my opinion. Let the "real" team shake off the rust and not dig a hole at the start of the season because they're a step behind.

I'm sure the AHL'ers confidence has taken a hit...but it's also a good reminder of what it's going to take out there and a lesson they can learn from.

• Like 2