[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

Just now, JoGuitar said:

This was a throw away game so the core could get another day of practice together in Victoria. We’ll see some of the core start to get into the game come Edmonton.

The problem is a core is all we have

We need something legitimate surrounding the core to go anywhere. 

1 minute ago, Chon derry said:

They know who’s going to be on the Canucks. And I get that you have to narrow down who should be looked at harder or for longer but tonites game should. Nip it in the bud for some of these guys. Take the best of tonites game and leave the rest alone leaving the  real bubble players in any longer this preseason jeprodizes it for  the whole team.  They made this same mistake last year and stumbled out of the gate and then were hit with key injury’s. Get the team together for line placement against real opposition not just inter squad play leaving the vets out of real play is stupid. 

I think this was the plan with how camp scheduled out for preseason games. I have no doubt you’ll see a much stronger roster next game and going forward. This was a bubble game for a select few who might take the next step forward.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Hirose and Irwin were the standouts McWard was decent but needs a year in the A. Juulsen was the most disappointing and Woo and Rathbone should be cut tomorrow. 

I know it's their first game and all, but if these guys want to take it to the next level, they have to step up. Almost everyone looked like they were playing with hand grenades, right off the bat. They need to relax and play the game that got them there, to begin with. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, PeteyBoeser said:

Maybe next game we only lose by 5-0

Yup. Never seen such a group OV guys who accept being embarrassed like this. I’m betting JR wants to dumperoo every player who didn’t fight. IMHAO Jr knows the entire team tonight are losers and have no place kon a Vanadian club. 

Just now, qwijjibo said:

There are guys of their roster fighting for jobs too.  You can't expect them to take their foot off the gas.  They sat their top guys for the last couple powerplays.  

Nobodys fighting for a job at 10-0
That's just being a bunch of assholes.
To be blunt. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep hilarious to see the trolls desperately try and use this performance as a measuring stick of some kind.

Burn the tape and move on.

I don't really think this game means anything for the rest of the preseason but I do want them to dress the majority of their veteran roster for the rest of the preseason. They need to be ready to go the first game of the season. This game means nothing in the long run but you don't really have to ice an AHL roster after this game. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Bllewellyn said:

disaster

Yes, we should expect a bit more from our AHL squad against an NHL squad. But it's fine. This was a great test for the depth guys and what it takes. Lessons on full display.

The question is who played the right way or rather continued playing the right way despite the pressure and frankly the embarrassment.  The coaching staff is looking at the details of individual players game, compete, etc.  and not the score.  That was the purpose of this exercise.

Edited by Canuckle
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Barn Burner said:

I know it's their first game and all, but if these guys want to take it to the next level, they have to step up. Almost everyone looked like they were playing with hand grenades, right off the bat. They need to relax and play the game that got them there, to begin with. 

Even in a blowout you can still play a good game personally if you are successful in your individual assignments from coaching. It seems like a few of the bubble players were actually successful with that, but most fans here are just looking at the score and not necessarily the finer points that define how someone is justified in obtaining a roster spot. There’s more to this game than what some people are accounting for here right now imho

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I don't really think this game means anything for the rest of the preseason but I do want them to dress the majority of their veteran roster for the rest of the preseason. They need to be ready to go the first game of the season.

Absolutely.

Veteran lineup next game, and then an AHL squad again Thursday. The final three should be the opening night roster. Don’t mess around.

• Upvote 1