[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Calgary Flames, Scotia Saddledome, September 24, @ 5PM PST, Preseason Game #1

Slegr

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Never seen such a group OV guys who accept being embarrassed like this. I’m betting JR wants to dumperoo every player who didn’t fight. IMHAO Jr knows the entire team tonight are losers and have no place kon a Vanadian club. 

you’re even  slurring your slurs there sir. Put down the poison!

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Absolutely.

Veteran lineup next game, and then an AHL squad again Thursday. The final three should be the opening night roster. Don’t mess around.

Well how many times do you need to learn a lesson about getting your NHL ready by playing them late in the preseason? Enough is enough. Play them the last three games. Play them most of the games to make sure they are ready. No excuses.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1

I’m not surprised it was a blow out, it was an ahl team vs nhl team, I am incredibly dissatisfied and disappointed to not see anyone go out there in third and play for pride and honour and start hitting and running guys. There was zero pushback they just bent over got on all fours and thanked the flames for the lovely pounding they received 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Oh for sure....I said something similar earlier and I fully understand why they iced this line up. But it should be a one and done in my opinion. The team's got to get out of the gate at the same time as everyone else this year...no wasted ice time. These preseason games are great for "having a look" but we've seen enough in this one game in my opinion. Let the "real" team shake off the rust and not dig a hole at the start of the season because they're a step behind.

I'm sure the AHL'ers confidence has taken a hit...but it's also a good reminder of what it's going to take out there and a lesson they can learn from.

It would be easier for guys to be sent down and guys will accept it a lot easier because they were overmatched and if they want to get better, do better next training camp to have a stronger start.   The work start now until next season for those in AHL.  I love Barry Trotz's philosophy, he doesn't even give their own rookies a look in the preseason game during his coaching career.   I think it has to do with confidence builder when working with toward making the team.  Most of our young guys' confidence is shot tonight.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well how many times do you need to learn a lesson about getting your NHL ready by playing them. Enough is enough. Play them the last three games.

Agreed.

But you don’t need to play them in back to back situations in preseason. Thursday will be another group like this.

I would expect almost all cuts to be made by Friday.

I live in Calgary, and my buddies are chirping me, and when I point out the rosters to tonight’s game, they say “this is probably the only time we’ll get to chirp you!”
Top 2 lines, top 4 D, and #1 goalie against our 4th line and some of the AHL team? But after the Prospects tournament in Penticton, it’s obvious the Flames don’t have as many prospects as we do, and had to dress this roster. 

This game was not indicative of the Canucks as a whole, but definitely indicative how ready some of our younger and fringe players are. And everyone on this forum is right, it’s not about the score, but effort, attention to details, and systems. I guess this is what management and the coaching staff wanted see. Which players are ready for the new systems and style of hockey, and who isn’t. 

I just feel bad for Silvos, he just didn’t deserve that….

Next game please! 

Go Canucks!

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Never seen such a group OV guys who accept being embarrassed like this. I’m betting JR wants to dumperoo every player who didn’t fight. IMHAO Jr knows the entire team tonight are losers and have no place kon a Vanadian club. 

FCF95351-E143-447E-A55C-9EEED81D3AA1.gif

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

We usually waste the pre-season trying bottom guys in different combos with the vets. This game was direct competition for spots. So that's already different than previous seasons.

As for the outcome, just look at their veteran players vs ours. Not something to be overly concerned about. The guys who carry the bulk of the load this season weren't even there.

5 minutes ago, HIWATT said:

Nobodys fighting for a job at 10-0
That's just being a bunch of assholes.
To be blunt. 

I disagree. Should Coranato (who has 1 nhl game under his belt) not tried for the hat trick?  He's there to show what he can do.  Period 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is, don't waste this time while others are getting a running start. We're slow out of the gates as it is, get our guys in here and quit fooling around.

If they don’t know That 3/4 of the rookies tonite shouldn’t have been there. I find it hard to beleave that they wouldn’t know more about all these young guys.  I hope they’ve seen enough. Now get the team together so they can gel together. Preseason isn’t just about the young guys last preseason it was quite evident. But they’ll come out cold again if they waste another preseason on kids with no real chance….. yet.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pycnotic said:

I’m not surprised it was a blow out, it was an ahl team vs nhl team, I am incredibly dissatisfied and disappointed to not see anyone go out there in third and play for pride and honour and start hitting and running guys. There was zero pushback they just bent over got on all fours and thanked the flames for the lovely pounding they received 

It was men against boys tonight. They couldn't keep up always being a step behind NHLers. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Podkolzin - negative  

Klimovich - negative 

McDonough - negative 

Aman - negative 

Joshua - negative 

Karlsson - non-factor 

Dries - non-factor 

Sasson - non-factor 

Hoglander - neutral 

Suter - positive 

Studnicka - positive 

Raty - positive 

Hirose - positive 

Irwin - positive 

McWard - neutral  

Juulsen - negative 

Rathbone - negative 

Woo - negative 

Both goalies were horrible. Yeah, Silovs didn't have a chance on a couple of them, but he looked tiny on all the shots and was deep in his net. Looks like having 6 goalies in camp hasn't gotten any of them sharp, but it is only one game.  

My cuts tonight: Klimovich, McDonough, Sasson, Rathbone, and Woo. 

Let's give Alriksson and Zlodeyev a chance.  One more game with rookies, and then last four pre-season games should be for more regulars. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Even in a blowout you can still play a good game personally if you are successful in your individual assignments from coaching. It seems like a few of the bubble players were actually successful with that, but most fans here are just looking at the score and not necessarily the finer points that define how someone is justified in obtaining a roster spot. There’s more to this game than what some people are accounting for here right now imho

As it turned out, pretty much, our AHL team faced the better part of their NHL squad. Unless of course, Koach Huffy has his say! Haha! But, like you say, there were players who stepped up to the plate, even under adverse conditions. Not sure how the lineup was assembled, but you'd still like these "bubble guys" to step it up. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, coolboarder said:

It would be easier for guys to be sent down and guys will accept it a lot easier because they were overmatched and if they want to get better, do better next training camp to have a stronger start.   The work start now until next season for those in AHL.  I love Barry Trotz's philosophy, he doesn't even give their own rookies a look in the preseason game during his coaching career.   I think it has to do with confidence builder when working with toward making the team.  Most of our young guys' confidence is shot tonight.

if their confidence is shot from being blown out knowing going in they were well overmatched, then maybe they are best situated in the A to begin with.  The best players become  NHL regulars because they can separate fact from fiction and don’t allow a rough game to dictate their entire pro career.  

I’d be more concerned and defeated about NEVER getting a chance against NHL level talent than I would about getting a chance (albeit knowingly totally outmatched) and realizing mgmt sees me as having potential for the big club. It was a team loss tonight, not an individual one. The best players learn from that and move forward.